Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Well first off the new TopGolf near Downtown was TopGolf's first designated Urban Location, something that was typically different from TopGolf locations across the Southeast.
No, wrong again. TopGolf in West Midtown in Atlanta was their first 'Designated Urban Location.'

At this point you're simply making things up.

Quote:
And as for the VA Clinic; for one, that area is normally very congested, two, it's better than a typical parking space, which would've just increased street parking in that area.
It's a horrible design, and very un-urban for the location.

Quote:
No, those Glass Tower developments in Sunbelt/Southeastern Cities are subjected to increasing Sprawl and they're really not that attractive, they look like more Larger Office Parks. You want to see attractive Glass Towers in a more Urban Environment, travel to Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, London, etc.

When you compare those to the one's in cities like Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, Nashville, and etc. it's like night and day.
Wrong again.

Quote:
It's not about "owning" it, it's about Birmingham distributing the development patterns throughout it's Urban Cores. No such thing is seen within other Southeastern cities, and you know it. You're keep thinking about Commercial Districts, I'm strictly referring to Urban Centers of distinct neighborhoods.
More goalpost movement.

Quote:
I know for DAMN sure this isn't common in Orlando, Tampa, nor Jacksonville, or any other city in Florida. And I'm positive it's not common for the others as well. Ensley to the West, North Birmingham to the North, Five Points to the South, and Avondale/Woodlawn to the East.
It's pretty clear at this point that you don't know a DAMN thing about the above cities, or what's happening in them.

You have a very warped view of Birmingham that simply isn't based in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
So is Birmingham the Seattle of the south? I gotta check it out.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't know Birmingham since I've never been, but just looking at photos of it's skyline, I'd say no. It's nothing like Seattle.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:51 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, wrong again. TopGolf in West Midtown in Atlanta was their first 'Designated Urban Location.'

At this point you're simply making things up.
Wrong? Making things up?

Quote:
"As we look to expand in the Southeast, Birmingham is a key market that has been on Topgolf's radar for a long time," said Topgolf Director of Real Estate Development Devin Charhon. "With all the recent development in the downtown Birmingham area and all that the Uptown Entertainment District around the BJCC offers, we look forward to bringing a new option for entertainment to the Birmingham market."

Topgolf Targets First Alabama Venue in Birmingham - Nov 29, 2016
Didn't exactly say it's first Urban Location, but it's placed exactly in the Uptown District in Downtown. The TopGolf in West Midtown is nowhere NEAR Urban lol, if you consider that as an Urban location, than you have a skewed perception of what Urban really is.

Quote:
It's a horrible design, and very un-urban for the location.
Horrible design maybe, but it still met the requirements that it needed to help traffic flow better within that area. And I'm also guessing you're not familiar with what's to become of the Southtown Housing Projects just directly across the street from the parking deck.

I highly doubt Urbanizing is an issue for that area.

Quote:
Wrong again.
Am I?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7085...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5231...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2754...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6137...7i13312!8i6656

Sunbelt/Southeast

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1509...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7772...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2270...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7754...7i13312!8i6656

Like I said, it's night and day. One of the main reasons why Southeastern cities get torn to bits when it comes architecture, density, street layouts and urbanity. That's something Birmingham needs to stay away from, and steer from, because for Birmingham it's all about infilling with low/mid-rise density; rather than to put all of the chips towards one tower.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No, it's the Chicago of the South!

Old 06-24-2017, 01:58 PM
_OT

Quote:
No, it's the Chicago of the South!
Ya tu sabe!

Old 06-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it's night and day. One of the main reasons why Southeastern cities get torn to bits when it comes architecture, density, street layouts and urbanity. That's something Birmingham needs to stay away from, and steer from, because for Birmingham it's all about infilling with low/mid-rise density; rather than to put all of the chips towards one tower.
You are clearly in over your head here, but just insist on doubling down on your delusional views - including false claims.

Perhaps some day you'll realize what Birmingham is, and truly isn't.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:43 PM
_OT

Quote:
You are clearly in over your head here, but just insist on doubling down on your delusional views - including false claims.

Perhaps some day you'll realize what Birmingham is, and truly isn't.
No mames

Maybe, someday you'll come to terns of understanding the differences between cities based on culture, geography, history, and identity. You're so used to seeing Birmingham as a "younger sibling" to Atlanta, that when you're finally acquiring the knowledge that Birmingham, nor Atlanta, has anything in common to the point where they are considered similar, you become denial. Your objective outlook on Birmingham has been fueled by the ideology and formality of the Southeast, to the point where you're disregarding history and factual information.

My suggestion is to travel more outside of Atlanta and the Southeast in general.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
No mames

Maybe, someday you'll come to terns of understanding the differences between cities based on culture, geography, history, and identity. You're so used to seeing Birmingham as a "younger sibling" to Atlanta, that when you're finally acquiring the knowledge that Birmingham, nor Atlanta, has anything in common to the point where they are considered similar, you become denial. Your objective outlook on Birmingham has been fueled by the ideology and formality of the Southeast, to the point where you're disregarding history and factual information.
This is nothing but disjointed, nonsensical gibberish.

Quote:
My suggestion is travel more outside of Atlanta and the Southeast in general.
I've been in the travel industry for over 20 years, sporto. I've been to places you've never heard of.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:10 PM
_OT

Quote:
This is nothing but disjointed, nonsensical gibberish.

I've been in the travel industry for over 20 years, sporto. I've been to places you've never heard of.
Considering that I'm due to get my masters in History and Geography, I highly doubt it. There's a difference from going somewhere, and actually going to a place, and embracing that place's history/culture. I'll be attending Caribana in Toronto in a few weeks, you probably wouldn't know too much about it, or how much it means to Toronto's Urban Culture.

You've been to places, but your mind is still stuck in Atlanta. Whenever I travel, I blend in and adapt. You're not letting yourself become objective to the ideas and distinctive cultures that surround you; and that's how you've come to where you're at now...

Every thing I've pretty much has said within this thread is something that I've seen come from other individuals, I'm just here to give you that information.

Quote:
All of which leads to the point that's relevant to this thread. Because Birmingham did not experience the boom that Atlanta enjoyed in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and only saw its economy come creaking back to life in the 80s, Birmingham inadvertently became a museum of late 19th and early 20th century architecture, from Florentine to Chicago School to Art Deco and more. Buildings that would have seen the wrecking ball in Atlanta were never torn down in Birmingham simply because the demand was not there. The sad exception? The gorgeous Byzantine Beaux Arts train station that was demolished for absolutely no good reason in 1969. To this day, people are outraged by this. The word desecration gets tossed about a lot.
Quote:
Your initial premise is correct. Being essentially a company town, Birmingham indeed was indeed slammed by US Steel in the late 70s. The city had always been a boom-and-bust town based on the fortunes of the steel industry. Just to give you an idea how US Steel actually held growth hostage here, USS actually started putting a tariff on any iron and steel products made in Birmingham that were shipped outside the state, all because the Birmingham mills became more efficient and productive than the plants up north. How crazy and short sighted is that?
Quote:
The rust belt has no clear geographical boundaries. It's more used as a descriptor of any city which hasn't "gotten it's groove back" economically from the decline of manufacturing than anything. Cities can be surrounded by Rust Belt metros but not be rust belt themselves (Columbus) or considered to be part of the Rust Belt even if they're geographically quite far from it (Baltimore, Duluth, or even Birmingham).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.