Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times

Advertisements

I know much of what we see on CD is about living or visiting places other than where we live. But I'm sure there are some of us (me included) who still live where they've been all of their lives. We all have our reasons we're still here. Many do so by choice. What are 3 things that you love about your town, things that compel you to stay, memories, or anything else special? What size town/city do you live?

I live in a suburban city outside of Charlotte with a population of about 75,000. I'm 51 and have lived here pretty much all of my life. I absolutely love it here!!! It's home! My family is still in the area, I pass by places almost daily that conjure up wonderful memories, and nearly all of my friends who I grew up with still live here.

1. THE PEOPLE: Everyone is genuinely friendly and kind. I know it sounds cliche'-ish, but it's really true in this case. It's great.

2. BEAUTY: Lakes east of town, mountains west of town (where I live), lots of green, flowers, flowering trees, great sunsets. Love being outdoors.

3. LOCAL FOOD: We travel regularly, and I know of no place I've ever been that has as many awesome mom n pops restaurants as Gastonia does. We rarely EVER eat at a chain establishment. There are just too many to-die-for local holes-in-the-wall to eat at, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 04:52 PM

49 posts, read 83,216 times
I live in Redding, CA. The population is roughly 90,000.

1. Although it is slowly getting worse there isn't much in the way of traffic here. It's pretty easy to get around and there's almost always parking.

2. Lots of good motorcycle roads.

3. The cost of living is relatively low for California.

Last edited by misaligned; 08-12-2016 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Added population.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:26 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
I like these pros and cons type of posts!

I constantly hear a lot about the greenery of NC in particular. I want to see it soon! I love plants/trees.

I was born/raised in CO Springs, and I now live 1 hr away. I like:

1. Outdoors, duh. That's what it's known for. While the mountains are pretty, I think it's more the availability of activities rather than pure sceinicness that draws people to the area. Also the weather is conducive to doing your winter or summer activity (though it's not good for plants ). It's great for motorcycling as well.

2. No race problems. After seeing all the issues that can plague other areas I can say that I've never really felt CO Springs had big issues with the various ethnicities that live in the area. Also it never felt cliquish or hard for people who moved in due to the heavy transplant base of the population.

3. Fit populous. It's nice being around people who are in shape.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I like these pros and cons type of posts!

I constantly hear a lot about the greenery of NC in particular. I want to see it soon! I love plants/trees.

I was born/raised in CO Springs, and I now live 1 hr away. I like:

1. Outdoors, duh. That's what it's known for. While the mountains are pretty, I think it's more the availability of activities rather than pure sceinicness that draws people to the area. Also the weather is conducive to doing your winter or summer activity (though it's not good for plants ). It's great for motorcycling as well.

2. No race problems. After seeing all the issues that can plague other areas I can say that I've never really felt CO Springs had big issues with the various ethnicities that live in the area. Also it never felt cliquish or hard for people who moved in due to the heavy transplant base of the population.

3. Fit populous. It's nice being around people who are in shape.
It's funny that you should mention the "pro/con" posts. I did a thread on here a few weeks ago about the 3 best things and 3 worse things about you metro area. It got taken down, stating that they don't allow "negative" posts. I literally did a LOL! It's easy to brag about a place when we love living there, a little more challenging to come up with negatives. ALL places have them. I absolutely love where I live and plan on staying here forever. But there are some things I'd like to see change. Nothing major, just preferences. If we were dogging on other people's metro areas, they might have had a point. But we were just offering kind, constructive things we weren't necessarily fond of in OUR OWN metro areas. I see threads that are WAY more "negative" than what I had. But that's fine. It's up to the moderator and I respect that........Your point about race was interesting. I agree. There really isn't a race issue here where I live. Everyone gets along really well. But if you listen to the news, TV shows, forums, and other publications, you would think the South is the most racist place on Earth. Far from it. Does it happen? Yes, from time to time. But no more than any other region and, in many cases, less. And racism is found within any race. I grew up in a 50/50 black/white working class neighborhood in NC in the 1970's. We had zero issues. NONE! We played at each other's houses, had sleepovers at each other's houses, neighborhood family cook-outs, etc. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:44 PM

131 posts, read 141,558 times
Proximity to major cities in USA and Canada. An average of four to five hours from Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc.

Italian food and pizza is some of the best in the US.

Four seasons/hiking.

Still, Upstate NY generally sucks outside that. The cons list would be much longer.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
I was raised in Midland,Texas and I still live here.Here are 3 things I like about it
1.Proximity to America's Land of Enchantment
2.hot summers
3.High School football.
However, I plan on moving away in a few years.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:23 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
#1. The hordes of horny and uninhibited university women.

No need for #2. or #3. with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.