Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Hello new member here,

I'm currently exploring the idea of relocating my family to Washington, Colorado, Utah or Oregon State from the east coast, NJ. I currently am a single father with 3 kids, pre teens and one teenager. I have a good financial situation here but some life changes took a hold of us and we need to start anew. I'm seeking a quite, friendly, safe and relaxed environment to raise my kids to adulthood. Dont mind being to far from main cities or close by because I do enjoy activities and people just not all the time and with being solo I need to keep my kids safe. I have a diverse background with many years of management experience and former military. Im a hardworker and dont think starting over will be a problem just need to get my foot in the door and on new land. I'm just seeking some advice for a place I would have a good chance with my kids and myself. In case it gets asked, I do have custody of my kids and have been given the authority to relocate. Actually this was their idea and I always wanted to move anyway but my ex never did so now we can. In looking at some of the research I did those states seemed to offer the most that I need foe myself in my kids. I know climate and overall life style will be completely different but in the end I just need some advice which would be the best choice in the long run. Im not against any other states, just in researching these seem to fit the best for us. Thanks for any help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 AM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
What exactly are you looking for? If you didn't mind staying in the Northeast, Plattsburgh NY may be a good fit due to low/average cost of living, it is a small, generally safe "city"/town, it was home to an Air Force Base for many years(meaning that there are Veterans in the area), it actually has a growing manufacturing sector, all of the school districts are solid/good in the area, it is close to Montreal and Burlington VT(within an hour of both), it is close to the Adirondack(and Green) Mountains, it has lakeside beaches on Lake Champlain(including one right in Plattsburgh) and it has a Downtown it appears to be coming along.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 AM

I should mention that the east coast is not my area of interest. I meant out of the states I mentioned which would be the best fit on all fronts for a single father of three to have a safe environment, good schools, and steady employment. I do appreciate the detailed suggestion though. Moving so far is a big risk but I don't have close friends here and my family is pretty slim with just one sibling who is relocating and that's it. I'm basically on my own, which is fine.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,613,652 times
I would give it some deep though as sometimes the best alternative for change seems the furthest away. There is a whole lot of ground in between New Jersey and the Pacific Northwest, much of which are desirable areas with the criteria you're looking for with along with a lower to much lower cost of living.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would give it some deep though as sometimes the best alternative for change seems the furthest away. There is a whole lot of ground in between New Jersey and the Pacific Northwest, much of which are desirable areas with the criteria you're looking for with along with a lower to much lower cost of living.
Well Colorado was the closest but cost of living certainly a factor. And yes there's alot of ground to be coverered. I did some research and these were the ones that ranked highest. I just did a quick search on real estate and found some very affordable options. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know and what state, city, town so I can delve deeper. My time line is roughly two months so I don't have much time. Thanks for the response.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlife View Post
Well Colorado was the closest but cost of living certainly a factor. And yes there's alot of ground to be coverered. I did some research and these were the ones that ranked highest. I just did a quick search on real estate and found some very affordable options. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know and what state, city, town so I can delve deeper. My time line is roughly two months so I don't have much time. Thanks for the response.
In terms of what?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:52 PM

27,011 posts, read 43,613,652 times
It would seem some semblance of safety is at the top of your list along with good schools and obviously employment opportunity. Not clear if you're buying or renting regardless I would suggest since Oregon is at the top of your list in terms of a state, to check out Corvallis OR. It's a beautiful college town (Oregon State University) and consistently one of the safest cities in Oregon. The housing costs are moderate and employment shouldn't be much an issue with a very low unemployment rate of 3%. Moving to Corvallis | Visit Corvallis, Oregon

Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 PM

Another PAC 12 college town within one of the states listed that may fit is Pullman WA, home to Washington State University. It is in Western WA in the Palouse with Moscow ID another college town minutes away and Spokane isn't too far away for a bigger city.

City Homepage

Moscow ID info: https://www.ci.moscow.id.us

In Utah, a college town in that state that may work is Logan(Utah State University). Welcome to City of Logan, Utah

Old 06-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of what?
overall safety, schools, cost of living, starting over and booming economy.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It would seem some semblance of safety is at the top of your list along with good schools and obviously employment opportunity. Not clear if you're buying or renting regardless I would suggest since Oregon is at the top of your list in terms of a state, to check out Corvallis OR. It's a beautiful college town (Oregon State University) and consistently one of the safest cities in Oregon. The housing costs are moderate and employment shouldn't be much an issue with a very low unemployment rate of 3%. Moving to Corvallis | Visit Corvallis, Oregon
Actually thats the number one town I seen and was the one I was researching the most. Great recommendation. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.