Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,381 times

Advertisements

From my experience, California is easily the best. Texas is the worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
California with the best, Mississippi with the worst.

I'm originally from Australia and while I've lived in the U.S for some years now, these were the two states that I immediately thought of as well.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Abroad as in overseas? If that is the case, then I don't really think there is a "worst." I doubt that Alabama or Mississippi would even be coming into the minds of those across the world.
They do. When I was still living in Australia, my friends and I used to joke about the Southern U.S states. No offense to them, but we were definitely aware of their shortcomings, even on the other side of the world.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
I used to travel overseas for business back when George W Bush was president. When taxi drivers and others would learn I lived in Texas, I always felt the need to apologize.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Internationally I would say California probably has the best reputation and Texas the most negative, but these are based on international views on what's considered "positive". Also Hollywood likes to paint California as more glamorous than it really is and really stereotypes Texas and the South/Midwest.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:05 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
That's a first to me...At least in places i've been people have always regarded Chicago as great city
Yes, I agree. Some on this forum just like to hate on Chicago....look at their history of posts, if anyone doubts me.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Not buying the Texas thing. Europeans don't really know that much about our individual states, other than California, New York, and Florida. I think people are just throwing the states they don't like under the bus. Yes, I said that. And, I believe, there's a lot of truth to it.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
True, which is kind of funny because of the skewed perceptions foreigners have about Americans due to them only engulfing themselves with knowledge of the West and Northeast. Certain things such as Americans not being family oriented, not having a cuisine, not having any culture, parents not having discipline, and etc. all comes from the over-idolization of California and New York. The same exact things are found within the South, but most wouldn't know because of the assumptions.

I hear negative things about Chicago from foreigners; especially when it involves race-related issues in America. I know the crime is pretty much to the South and some areas in the West, and that's it's not indicative of the whole city.

That's East Asia, they also think the US isn't diverse.

Exactly! Those who think we don't have any cuisine never been to Louisiana.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Honestly the EU is a mess right now. They don't really have a right to look down on America atm.
Europeans are too busy scolding us for mass shootings while they're trying not to get run over by buses and trucks driven by ideologically brainwashed foreigners that they're welcoming in with minimal background checks.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM

California has a high regard because of Hollywood and tourism. Texas has a low regard due to its politics and culture. Except with Australians. I met a lot of Aussies in Texas and they enjoy it. Though Australia has a lot in common with Texas as well, culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.