Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 12:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
The entire country doesn't really have the greatest reputation around the world right now. Hmm, wonder why.
Honestly the EU is a mess right now. They don't really have a right to look down on America atm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM

657 posts, read 802,520 times
I can only talk for the UK here. In my experience, I'd say California and NYC and to a lesser extent Florida. There are a lot of people that trash California as well, but those are usually people who just don't like the US. NYC I rarely hear trashed, but I don't think NY excites people as much as California. California is significantly more popular. The least popular region by a decent margin is the deep southern states. Its seen as an interesting place, but also backwards. Someone mentioned Texas... I don't know, its got a weird reputation, its kinda got a reputation of being cool and badass, but again it is also viewed as all the negatives of American condensed to one state. I'd say its more like marmite. Tbh, people view of American states nearly always follows how those places are portrayed in the media. Most people don't do further research unless they're interested in the US.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Why do Norwegians use 'texas' to mean 'crazy'? - BBC News

Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Worst impression -- Detroit (but not Michigan). During and after the meltdown in '08, some houses in Detroit were on sale for $hundreds. Many foreign newspapers used that as headline and explored on the subject and elaborated why it was so dirt cheap.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,754 times
From my limited experience, Europe loves California, NYC, and Miami. Texas is kind of a joke to them.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
A Mcdonalds commercial in the UK recently advertised a South Carolina burger, and the actors in the commercial had country singer accents, big wigs with cowboy hats, cowboy clothes, a cowboy mustache, and a cattle rope.

I asked UK friends what in the world was that supposed to be. From what Ive gathered, most foreignors see California, New York, Florida, and Texas. And Texas is everything thats not California, New York, and Florida.

They put a football player in it too, at least they got that right...though his powder blue uniform made me laugh.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM

591 posts, read 820,740 times
Best: California
Worst: Texas

Old 06-08-2017, 04:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Best: California
Worst: Oklahoma

Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wait, how do you figure that people in East Asia don't think America is diverse? There's been a massive immigration boom from East Asia in the last few decades, large tourism numbers (and students being sent here), and the US media does show some diversity and gets exported. How did you figure that East Asia as a whole doesn't think the US is diverse?
Outside of millennials, most of East Asia wouldn't even come to think that Blacks and Hispanics play a significant role in the US; even the "stereotypical" American seems to be of pale skin, and light eyes. I've spoken to several Asians that actually live in Asia from Lebanon to Hong Kong; due to the larger media, and beauty standards in Asian countries, this is typically their perception of Americans. Now with millennials? it's different, due to social media, they're more knowledgeable about Urban American Cultures. Also diversity just doesn't stop at Race as well, it's nationality, ethnicity, sexual preference, political views, religion, language etc.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
A Mcdonalds commercial in the UK recently advertised a South Carolina burger, and the actors in the commercial had country singer accents, big wigs with cowboy hats, cowboy clothes, a cowboy mustache, and a cattle rope.

I asked UK friends what in the world was that supposed to be. From what Ive gathered, most foreignors see California, New York, Florida, and Texas. And Texas is everything thats not California, New York, and Florida.

They put a football player in it too, at least they got that right...though his powder blue uniform made me laugh.
OMG, yes!! The SC stack Burger (also for TN, LA, etc). Look at these adverts from the UK. Yes, everyone recognizes these are exaggerations, but only in the same sense that we stereotype all British as super posh aristocrats from Southern England. Keep in mind, this is a McDonald's campaign called "Great Taste of America." The ads are viewed as funny, not at all offensive. But the caricatures in them are heavy stereotypes, largely random, and in their view could earnestly be applied to any state in the US (that isn't CA, FL and NY- look at how they went with baseball there) because these are stereotypes that click with audiences in a kind of endearing way. The endearing Murica-land image would be a good bet for any area outside of the major cities that have their own reputations.

South Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTMgqEcVXg

Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8bJIUe4JA

Louisiana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr0JeIHHJ8o

New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMlPJnGmK4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.