Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Most Black Americans are generationally mixed, usually 65-95% African. In the 1800s white slavemasters used to rape female slaves, that racial mixing between slave and their masters isnt only a Latin American thing, it happend in the US too just not as much. As compared to recently mixed people, who have parents or grandparents of different races. People like Mariah Carey and Halle Barrey are probably around 40% black anyway, they resemble the average Dominican/Puerto Rican more than the average Black American.
Mariah Carey looks mixed, Halle on the other end looks like a typical black women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Interestingly enough, though she may not look it to some, Vanessa Williams African ancestry comprises a total of about 56%...

https://blogs.ancestry.com/cm/actres...nal+Paid+Media

Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mariah Carey looks mixed, Halle on the other end looks like a typical black women.
Halle clearly looks mixed

Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Halle looks like the aversage "light skinned" black woman. She resembles my sisters and daughter who are black. Black is a mixture of African, European, and Native American blood.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:27 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
These days, American Indians are often mistaken for Latino, especially in the Southwest.
Which makes sense because most Latinos are of mixed Native American origins. In the Spanish American colonies, unlike the British ones such as the US and Canada, the white settlers/conquerors interbred extensively with the native peoples and the modern population reflects this.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:41 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Uhhhh you must live in an area with a very low percentage of blacks ? Halle looks like a typical black woman. Mariah and Vennesa look mixed. Marjorie Harvey looks just like my auntie and both my grandparents are black.

Last edited by PortCity; 06-15-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Uhhhh you must live in an area with a very low percentage of blacks ? Halle looks like a typical black woman. Mariah and Vennesa look mixed. Marjorie Harvey looks just like my auntie and both my grandparents are black.
I'm sorry, I'm not black, and I don't want to whitesplain, but I just don't see how you can say that Halle looks like the typical black woman. I mean, I've dated black women before - dark black women - and it feels kind of weird to me you're just leaving them out of the equation of what a black woman looks like.

Here's a face morph someone did of the average black American woman

Here's Halle

The skin tone is not really that much lighter, but Halle's facial features are way more European. I've seen Italian women with tans who look like her.

Looking around online, Halle's father is pretty dark skinned for an African-American, which might explain why she looks a bit on the darker side for someone who has one African-American parent.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:05 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not black, and I don't want to whitesplain, but I just don't see how you can say that Halle looks like the typical black woman. I mean, I've dated black women before - dark black women - and it feels kind of weird to me you're just leaving them out of the equation of what a black woman looks like.

Here's a face morph someone did of the average black American woman

Here's Halle

The skin tone is not really that much lighter, but Halle's facial features are way more European. I've seen Italian women with tans who look like her.

Looking around online, Halle's father is pretty dark skinned for an African-American, which might explain why she looks a bit on the darker side for someone who has one African-American parent.
Which may say something about certain Italians(likely Sicilians and some Southern Italians) as well, which goes back to what was mentioned earlier in the thread about some Europeans due to certain migrations.

Also, to be honest, I don't know if Halle's features are more European outside of hair and a little bit lighter complexion versus not being as prominently African.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM

368 posts, read 454,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Halle looks like the aversage "light skinned" black woman. She resembles my sisters and daughter who are black. Black is a mixture of African, European, and Native American blood.
No it is not.

Black= 90+% Black African ancestry from Sub Saharan Africa (which is West, East, Central, & South). Black IS a race.

Black Americans (also known as "African Americans") is NOT a race, it is a ethnic group or a mixed subgroup of the black race, that makes close to 90% of self identified blacks in the United States. They are mostly descended from black West African slaves that went to the US south during the colonial era, as opposed to blacks that descend from slaves that went to Latin/Caribbean countries and immigrated to the US generations later. The average African American is 75% BLACK African, 20% White european, 5% Native American. Compared to US Whites who are usually 95+% European, and US Asians who are close to 100% asian, US Hispanics are the only ones more mixed (Caribbean Hispanics usually being European/African and the rest of Latin America especially Mexico being European/Native). The reason why there is variation among US African Americans is becuz of the One drop rule, which was law at one point and still holds weight in US society til this day.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
No it is not.

Black= 90+% Black African ancestry from Sub Saharan Africa (which is West, East, Central, & South). Black IS a race.

Black Americans (also known as "African Americans") is NOT a race, it is a ethnic group or a mixed subgroup of the black race, that makes close to 90% of self identified blacks in the United States. They are mostly descended from black West African slaves that went to the US south during the colonial era, as opposed to blacks that descend from slaves that went to Latin/Caribbean countries and immigrated to the US generations later. The average African American is 75% BLACK African, 20% White european, 5% Native American. Compared to US Whites who are usually 95+% European, and US Asians who are close to 100% asian, US Hispanics are the only ones more mixed (Caribbean Hispanics usually being European/African and the rest of Latin America especially Mexico being European/Native). The reason why there is variation among US African Americans is becuz of the One drop rule, which was law at one point and still holds weight in US society til this day.
Actually, it is 80% African, you don't have to be 90% African ancestry to be viewed as or considered to be Black and we are talking about a social construct. So, wpipkins isn't wrong, given that context.

Also, "the one drop" rule is a misnomer and if that were the case, then pretty much anyone is Black. It really should be called the known or visible African ancestry rule.

Also, Hispanic is a relative new ethnic categorization, as it has only appeared since 1970 or so.

Another thing is that many enslaved Africans were "seasoned" in the Caribbean before coming to the what is now the US. So, there is a connection, whether some like to admit it or not. What becomes the difference is actually the European aspect among the groups.

Anywho, to get back to the subject, here is another group where the original question makes more sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKvS6EJvQos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4FVUph0zG8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.