Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy where you live?
Very satisfied 41 31.54%
Somewhat satisfied (Not perfect, but plan on staying) 31 23.85%
Somewhat unsatisfied (staying put because of factors such as family, job, etc) 26 20.00%
Unsatisfied (can't wait to leave, and will when the time comes) 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 17,607 times

Advertisements

Very satisfied. I think it is important that people live, work and then retire in places they like--when it was time to retire, I had to "come home to my roots"--to southeast Iowa! Many friends and school mates are doing the same thing, coming back from California, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Missouri, and the list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
Polling is closed, but I thought I would post anyway.

I currently live in Northampton, Massachusetts. It's a quaint little New England town, and has plenty of culture. Great music, great atmosphere for intellectuals and artists. I love what the colleges in the area bring to the town.

However, I am originally from the Gulf South, and when winter hits here I ache for months for some decent weather. It's depressing. I've gotten much more sedentary since moving to New England because I can't handle being outside in eighteen degree weather. I cannot cope with the winters. I have taken a lot of steps toward accepting and trying to appreciate this climate, but I don't. Plain and simple. I hate New England weather.

I've also gotten some pretty obnoxious and ignorant comments thrown my way since moving here. When people find out I'm a southerner, they look at me sideways, like they're trying to size up whether I'm as dumb and racist as the southerners they've seen stereotyped on tv.

I appreciate the area for a lot of things, and look forward to coming back to visit, but there's no way I would make it my home. As soon as I graduate from college, I'm flying south again. I'm ready for heat, humidity, the beach, and a real blazing summer. I can't even go swimming in New England in July because it's just too cold for me to tolerate most days.

Like I said, in another year, I'm haulin' up on outta here. I can't wait to get home.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 17,994 times
Default Arcadia, CA. - LOVE IT!

Have lived in the Pasadena/Arcadia area most of my life (I'm 41!) and I will never leave this general area. I absolutely love it here!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I hate the East Coast-want to go home to SoCal.
I am happy to say I am moving to DC burbs and I think I'm gonna love it there! I hated Philly.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:24 PM

23,440 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I love it here (Decatur, GA; suburb of Atlanta).

Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 PM

23,440 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oystergirl View Post
Polling is closed, but I thought I would post anyway.

I currently live in Northampton, Massachusetts. It's a quaint little New England town, and has plenty of culture. Great music, great atmosphere for intellectuals and artists. I love what the colleges in the area bring to the town.

However, I am originally from the Gulf South, and when winter hits here I ache for months for some decent weather. It's depressing. I've gotten much more sedentary since moving to New England because I can't handle being outside in eighteen degree weather. I cannot cope with the winters. I have taken a lot of steps toward accepting and trying to appreciate this climate, but I don't. Plain and simple. I hate New England weather.

I've also gotten some pretty obnoxious and ignorant comments thrown my way since moving here. When people find out I'm a southerner, they look at me sideways, like they're trying to size up whether I'm as dumb and racist as the southerners they've seen stereotyped on tv.

I appreciate the area for a lot of things, and look forward to coming back to visit, but there's no way I would make it my home. As soon as I graduate from college, I'm flying south again. I'm ready for heat, humidity, the beach, and a real blazing summer. I can't even go swimming in New England in July because it's just too cold for me to tolerate most days.

Like I said, in another year, I'm haulin' up on outta here. I can't wait to get home.
You should come to Decatur...one of its' nicknames is 'The Northampton of the South'.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I love it here (Decatur, GA; suburb of Atlanta).
lol, your name says it all.......and you don't live that far away from me

Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 31,763 times
Omaha - would leave today if I could. So, answer: absolutely not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.