Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yeah you're pretty much limited to the PNW/Northern CA, what kind of temperature ranges are you looking at, what do you consider 4 seasons?
Certain elevations in AZ and NM too.

Around 4000-5000 ft ASL is just about perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 08:16 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Denver
Cheyenne
Salt Lake City
Prescott/Prescott Valley
Albuquerque
Boise
Bend

Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver
Cheyenne
Salt Lake City
Prescott/Prescott Valley
Albuquerque
Boise
Bend
I know that Denver,Cheyenne,SLC would not work since OP wants very little snow if any.Maybe somewhere like El Paso,Texas or Las Cruces, New Mexico could work because they have mild winters with little to no snow but idk if the summers would be too hot or not.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
This all points back to the Pacific Northwest from Northern Cal to Western WA. Take your pick. While some consider me to be a "Washington" homer, I would actually recommend Eugene, OR in this case.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,648 times
Quote:
Maybe Sacramento?

In case you are unaware of the PNW climates here are some of the major cities.
Seattle, WA
Tacoma, WA
Portland, OR
Salem, OR
Eugene, OR

This. Sacramento is about as good as it's going to get! Also Albuquerque as someone mentioned. Denver almost would work but there winters can be rough, and would never classify as mild. They do get tons of sunshine however. Maybe Asheville, NC.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I wouldn't call Sacramento mild in the summer. The average high is well into the 90's, and 100's are not uncommon.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Yeah you're pretty much limited to the PNW/Northern CA, what kind of temperature ranges are you looking at, what do you consider 4 seasons?
I have lived all my life here in So. Cal (about eight miles inland from Seal Beach), and while the climate is generally mild, I dislike the lack of distinct seasons. Our fall is pretty short and basically just an extension of summer (a bit cooler though), and winter is mild with plenty of warm, sunny days. We average about 15” of rain in a normal year. It’s not uncommon for it to be 80°F on Christmas and/or New Year’s Day, which to some folks is great, but to me that sucks.

Anyways, for the longest time I have wanted to move someplace with four distinct seasons — not severe seasons mind you, but real, pronounced seasons. I wouldn’t mind a bit of snow and cold in winter and some hotter temps in summer, as long as each respective season is not severe and prolonged. Here in So. Cal, summer seems to last about 6 months each year, and the constant warm-ish, sunny weather gets old.

I do not like humid weather though, so I doubt I would like anywhere in the Deep South. And I think I would probably prefer a bit more cold than cold — but not Minnesota type of cold.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd almost say cities in CO, except that there are occasionally mosquitoes (despite the severe dryness).

As far as 4 seasons go, are you okay with places that have all 4 seasons, but are they very lopsided? Again, CO has four seasons, but is weighted like: 6 months winter, 2 month springs, 4 summer, and 2 months fall. Winter goes on way too long in my opinion, and summers are very hot and dry.

It seems like the more you have all seasons, the more you have to be tolerant of extremes.

Update: I just saw the "very little snow" or none note. Definitely rules out CO!

Except that would be 14 months.

I'd say 6 months winter, 1 1/2 months spring, 3 months summer, 1 1/2 months fall

But it can also be 70 degrees on Valentine's Day, and snow on Mother's Day, so you never really know what you're going to get.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
Or if your in N SD county (oceanside, vista etc.. you can head towards mt. Palomar

Old 05-30-2021, 07:50 AM

48 posts, read 64,192 times
Quote:
Maybe Sacramento?

In case you are unaware of the PNW climates here are some of the major cities.
Seattle, WA
Tacoma, WA
Portland, OR
Salem, OR
Eugene, OR
I am looking for the answer to this same question. We've lived and traveled all over the US and Heaven, for us, was Golden, Colorado. Clear and Sunny year round, no humidity, zero bugs, beautiful winters where the snow falls then melts, and year-round outdoor recreation. Unfortunately, we can't afford to live there anymore (median home prices in Golden are >750k now.)

One area I haven't yet visited is the PNW. Can I get an honest description of what these cities are like in the summer? Our goal is to either travel during the winter, or have a winter home, so I'm mostly interested in summers.

I've studied weatherspark, etc, but would love some local experience. From maybe May - October, is it sunny and dry? Do people want to be outside at restaurants, coffee shops, etc? If you're out in the woods biking or camping, is everything wet or is it dry like the Rockies? We live in the Annapolis area now and everything just always feels wet...even in the woods, it's a thick, wet, vegetation. In case you can't tell...we want dry!

And don't get me started on the mosquitoes that force us inside during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.