Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I've been to Reno, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. All three were really hot, since it was summer. I believe Phoenix was 115 when we were there!
I believe its gonna be 121 in Phoenix on monday,Hapa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I believe its gonna be 121 in Phoenix on monday,Hapa.
I can't even imagine that C24L! The San Gabriel Valley is hot enough!!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My guess for Arizona is the fact that probably 85% of the population of the state lives in the hot part. Therefore that's the part that people associate with Arizona.
True. Same with Nevada. Most people live in Las Vegas, which is very hot and dry.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
A summer in Reno or Flagstaff is, no doubt, preferable to a summer in Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Palm Springs.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
In Nevada, other then the Clark County the state actually has relatively chilly overnight low temperatures.

I would say the majority of Nevada in land area one would certainly have a sweater or light-coat in the middle-of the night in the summer as summer-time lows in much of the state relatively chilly.

I stayed at a motel in Reno for a couple of weeks, years ago and I asked about air conditioning and she said the air conditioning was the sliding glass door.

She was right even with high temperatures in the 90s, in Reno the low temperatures drop into the 50s at night.

Carson City, Elko, Ely and West Wendover also have chilly summer nights with a rapid cool down that requires a nightly sweater in the summer.

Arizona has very hot in the Phoenix area, Yuma, Lake Havasu and central Tucson but other then the state has relatively nice summers.

Prescott has warm summers but cools off nicely at night. Sierra Vista has a summer with similar temperatures to Denver. Flagstaff and Show Low have chilly nights also in the middle of the summer.

Even Tucson while being very warm in the summer. Has days with a strong monsoonal flow where the temperatures will cool into the 70s after thunderstorms.

Oro Valley and some of the suburbs of Tucson are much cooler then Tucson itself and there is Mount Lemmon with it's chilly summer-time air a short drive away.
I was wondering why you said Sierra Vista at first, but looking at satellite maps and seeing it's within the mountains, it obviously has a higher elevation than Tucson and Phoenix. Still(have never been as far south as Tucson or Sierra Vista in AZ), I suspect I'd feel more comfortable temperature-wise in Sedona or Flagstaff. Which I agree(and have visited both places before), have more moderate temperatures vs. Phoenix. Ugh at how hot Phoenix gets in the summer, since I experienced that on a vacation there back in the late 1990s!

Speaking of Las Vegas, I remember one night when I visited in a February a few years ago, and ironically I felt underdressed when I went to the observation deck of Paris Las Vegas! Can't remember the temperature that night(it was probably in the high 30s/low 40s), but the temperature that night really surprised me.

Never been to Albuquerque(hoping to get there in the next few years), but how does its temperatures compare to say like Flagstaff, Sedona, and Las Vegas? I suspect it doesn't get as hot as Vegas or Phoenix, but that it's similar to Flagstaff, Sedona, and other parts of central Arizona. And I'd suspect, probably a little warmer than Denver, which I've visited before.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I was wondering why you said Sierra Vista at first, but looking at satellite maps and seeing it's within the mountains, it obviously has a higher elevation than Tucson and Phoenix. Still(have never been as far south as Tucson or Sierra Vista in AZ), I suspect I'd feel more comfortable temperature-wise in Sedona or Flagstaff. Which I agree(and have visited both places before), have more moderate temperatures vs. Phoenix. Ugh at how hot Phoenix gets in the summer, since I experienced that on a vacation there back in the late 1990s!

Speaking of Las Vegas, I remember one night when I visited in a February a few years ago, and ironically I felt underdressed when I went to the observation deck of Paris Las Vegas! Can't remember the temperature that night(it was probably in the high 30s/low 40s), but the temperature that night really surprised me.

Never been to Albuquerque(hoping to get there in the next few years), but how does its temperatures compare to say like Flagstaff, Sedona, and Las Vegas? I suspect it doesn't get as hot as Vegas or Phoenix, but that it's similar to Flagstaff, Sedona, and other parts of central Arizona. And I'd suspect, probably a little warmer than Denver, which I've visited before.
Winter in ABQ is highs in the 40s&50s and lows in the 20s, while summer is highs in the 85-95 range and lows in the 60s

Old 06-18-2017, 08:56 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
A lot of Arizona is hot in the summer, except for in higher elevations. Nevada is a bit cooler overall, but still can be hot in places. Both states are relatively dry compared with the rest of the United States.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I can't even imagine that C24L! The San Gabriel Valley is hot enough!!
ya that would be hard to imagine that kind of heat Hapa.True.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
It works both ways; winter daily highs in many northern cities can still be too cold for any thriving outdoor activity.
Only for a handful of days. But anything 15+ is fine for skiing, ice skating, hockey, sledding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling etc. etc. Try doing strenuous stuff outside in 105+. Unless it involves water, which Texas doesn't have an abundance off, then fuggedaboutit!

I sweat me a good sweat skiing!

Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I live in New Mexico and see cactus covered in snow all the time in winter. Cactus have little to do with heat, everything to do with poor soil that doesn't hold water.

That is why there are even cactus in New York State is some very rocky microclimates.
There's even cacti in Illinois on beaches of Lake Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.