Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:58 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
There's no way you actually mean what you just said haha. Even if you're going off of just population, the difference between LA and Chicago isn't big enough to jump from "big" to "tiny." Not to mention that Chicago and even parts of Seattle/Vancouver feel way bigger than most of LA.
I think when you actually look at the numbers, LA is only about 1.3x larger than Chicago in terms of population, but the LA metro more 2x that of Chicagoland.

Chicagoland: 9M
Los Angles (basically everything in SoCal exclusive of San Diego metro and Inland Empire): 20M and growing rapidly.

Los Angeles the Metro is staggeringly huge. Seattle metro is about 4M, and that's really chump change when compared to LA's 20+ M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
It's true that Richmond has Carytown and lots of great restaurants but our airport sucks hard lol and we have a Nordstrom but somebody needs to inform me any other real big city shopping here. Unless you're referring to grocery stores. God blessed Richmond with 3 grocery stores on every corner.
The Richmond airport is kind of sucky, but you guys aren't too far from Dulles. I'd most definitely drive 2hr to avoid having a layover for international flights.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
I think that is a gross overestimation of the LA metro. It's closer to 12-13M (which is still about 1/3 larger than Chicagoland).

That said, the LA CSA is about 17-18M (and a lot of folks confuse MSAs and CSAs). The Greater Chicago CSA isn't appreciably larger than its MSA (less than 1M difference).

Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Does anyone live in a big city and question why you live there? Has anyone moved from a big city to a smaller city because you don't take advantage of the amenities?
I moved from a huge city (multi-millions) to a 100K one. It turned out to be dumb move though. Yeah, there may be some improvements (mobility, quieter, less pollution) but the new place is incredibly boring, has much less to offer, has basically one kind of person/mentality rather than many, and has less job opportunities. I say, don't overlook the benefits of a "big city"!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why not go abroad and try a big city, or even medium-sized city, abroad? A lot of inner city issues seem on the whole a bit more prevalent in the US than in other developed countries. We sort of went through a long period of disinvestment in cities for a long while, and while there's been a lot of reinvestment now, the backlog is still pretty long in some places.
That is a good point, in Europe, the suburbs are where the poor live, and the city is where the well off live

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I can't wait to get out of Richmond and to a large city. I think that being a native of Richmond has turned my stomach on the city. Yes the city is growing but the other natives are not my type of people. I'm looking for a more worldly view I guess.
This was my mentality ~11 years ago. Richmond is hardly the worst place you could be in this country and i enjoy going home to see my fam from time to time but I'd probably resent it had I never left. It's a natural tendency to want to see what else is out there though. Since then I've been in DC (for work) and now in Chicago (totally by choice), which I like much better.

That said, as much as I like being in big cities, I have to admit I'm slowly becoming disillusioned. Mainly because many of the "desirable" cities in 2017 have, to a significant degree, become parodies of themselves. Plus I'm realizing that I'm generally annoyed by and dislike most people.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The Richmond airport is kind of sucky, but you guys aren't too far from Dulles. I'd most definitely drive 2hr to avoid having a layover for international flights.
RIC definitely has more limited options than larger airports, but personally it's my favorite airport simply because it's so much less of a hassle to go through than O'Hare. Nothing like being able to show up a half hour (or sometimes less) before boarding and make it through to the gate with ease.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
When I lived in Houston most of my time was consumed by work, which meant that I basically spent most of my time in the same neighborhoods and areas all the time. I expect that in spite of all the talk about available amenities and the diversity, etc, that it's much the same for most people living in big cities. Do you really venture out into areas of the city that you aren't familiar with very often, or do you spend the majority of your time in the familiar, known neighborhoods at your favorite venues?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 PM

123 posts, read 160,133 times
Why would you consider Minneapolis/Nashville if you already live in Chicago??? That's a huge downgrade in amenities like biking and shopping, public transit and pretty much everything else.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:24 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Chicago is a tiny city?
Feels bigger than LA in the core....LA feels bigger in sheer size/mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.