Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:12 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what common wildlife you see in your city/area? Please list where you live and types of animals you've seen

In my area (Aurora, CO) it's common to see rabbits, birds (Owls, Robins, hawks), Prairie Dogs and squirrels. I've occasionally seen raccoons, coyote, deer, snakes and even pronghorn a few times. Otherwise the first 4 are pretty much what I see daily (A bit boring compared to other places).

Last edited by Mezter; 06-16-2017 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Here in NE Central Florida we routinely see skinks (lizard variety), squirrels and varying songbirds along with foxes, raccoons, possum, armadillos, deer, black bears, box turtles, owls, eagles, hawks, sandhill cranes, egrets, seagulls and ducks.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:24 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
NW Washington (Bellingham)- in my neighborhood, we see owls, eagles, deer, and a ton of black squirrels. Visitors to the city include seals and an occasional orca in Bellingham Bay and bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions and bears in the hills and mountains surrounding town.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:42 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,846,239 times
Western Chicago suburbs:

Squirrels, bats, hawks, deer, coyote, rabbits, Canada geese. Those 7 are everywhere in abundance around here.

Also

Raccoons, owls, eagles, possums, the occasional fox, some wild turkeys,

Old 06-16-2017, 03:57 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
South Louisiana we see alligator, deer, opossum, armadillo, swamp rabbit, coyote, fox, woodcock, bobcat, muskrat, quail, turkey, waterfowl, Louisiana black bear, way too many snakes, alligator snapping turtle, pelicans, bald eagle, egret, and finally the invasive nutria and monk parrots.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Our apples on two trees right now sometimes bring in deer. They have to jump our 4 feet high chain link fence to get to the apples. Possum comes regularly to eat our cats' leftover food. Cat brought us a dead baby rabbit recently. Rabbits usually hang out in a part of the yard I call "the hundred acre woods." Cats also kill field mice and regular mice.

Sometimes when wild food is scarce we end up with a raccoon on our patio looking for food. Cats have also brought us baby King snakes. We had to look them up to make sure. We have had a resident black racer for years. I think he knows us.

We have nut trees that the squirrels love to visit and bury the nuts for later.

Birds I have seen are blackbirds, mockingbirds, robins in summer, barn swallows nest in our unused chimney, blue jays and cardinals are all over the place. We have had a red-headed woodpecker in the diseased tree in our front yard.

Wasps, honey bees, hornets, masons, gnats, fire ants, slugs, earthworms, regular ants of many different shapes and sizes, water bugs and we have a roach type thing that I had never seen in my 71 years that comes out at night in the kitchen. That thing is about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide and their days are numbered just as soon as I can get to the store to buy spray. We are just over the line from SC so I wonder if that is the dreaded Palmetto roach I have heard others talk about.

We sometimes see big, little and middle-sized spiders that usually end up dead spiders.

Spider crickets and grasshoppers can be added to the list of wildlife.

We are two to three hours in from the ocean and sometimes see sea gulls in the Walmart parking lot??

We used to pick box turtles up along the road and our children would keep them for years.

Last edited by NCN; 06-16-2017 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Deer, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, an occasional fox and an occasional garter snake......

Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,523 times
In Los angeles. Skunks, Coyote, Bears, Pumas, Raccons, Squirrels, Deer, Goats, Turtles, Rattlesnakes, Black and Brown widows, Rabbits, Herons, Peacocks, Amazon Parrots, Blue Whales, Great White Sharks, Opossum and Possum, Eagles, Hawks, and so much more.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:03 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
NW Washington (Bellingham)- in my neighborhood, we see owls, eagles, deer, and a ton of black squirrels. Visitors to the city include seals and an occasional orca in Bellingham Bay and bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions and bears in the hills and mountains surrounding town.
You win!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
We get opossums, squirrels, armadillos, some lizards, several birds like ducks, cardinals, hawks, woodpeckers, rabbits, turtles, snakeys. Haven't seen any raccoons. Haven't seen any but I've heard frogs.

In terms of bugs, we got mosquitos, flies, cicadas, crickets, grasshoppers, butterflies, ants, bees, wasps, spiders, scorpions. Thankfully very few roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.