Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 PM

60 posts, read 72,601 times

Advertisements

As a young person myself, I am a bit curious as to what draws other young people to live in cities. From what I can see, in many cases (admittedly not all) it is more expensive to live in the city, while you also get less physical space (both square footage and likely no yard whatsoever). I have worked in Philly and Charlotte over the past 2 years during the week (I travel back 'home' on the weekends), so I have experienced this kind of living first hand, I was just curious what seems to be the major pull for many people. In my experience, the 'convenience' offered by cities is essentially no greater than what I am able to get in the outer suburbs in many instances. Just some examples:

1. In the city I can walk 5 minutes to get good, quality food (however it will normally be slightly expensive compared to 'normal' standards. In the 'burbs I can drive 5 minutes and get high quality food, at a lesser price (and drinks as well!)

2. In the city, parking is hard to find (if free), or expensive if you want to keep your car in a covered lot or a nice space. If you go without a car, you are essentially 'stranded' in the downtown area, unless you use a friends car etc.

3. People often talk about the nightlife of the city being much better, but in all honesty, unless you are going out 3+ nights a week, how hard is it to split an uber with a few friends, or take public transit into the city for a night out. What is the actual advantage (besides a slightly shorter trip) of living right near all the action as opposed to only travelling there when you go out. [Caveat: I can see this as being a bigger deal for a single person, but as someone in a long term relationship or married, what is the big deal with this one?

4. The one thing I do think the City has over the suburbs is that, assuming you live close to your office, your commute time will generally be less. Then again, if you live on the opposite side of the city than where you work, this benefit is again negated.

I'm not trying to rag on city living, it's just that I've done it, and I didn't really see all the benefits of it that people often spout on this forum and in personal conversation. Again, maybe I would see things in another light if my circumstances were different...but as a young, in-a-2-year-relationship, male, who isn't overly into the arts/theater or other 'entertainment' the city has to offer, what is the real draw? I often feel 'living in the city' is more of a bragging point for people than anything else, as if it isn't 'cool' to live in the suburbs or in a more rural area. Again, not ragging, just wanted some honest thoughts (as I'm considering a move shortly, and I'm deciding again between the suburbs, the city, or even farther out in the country), thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Other young people. Like follows like.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Usually, it's jobs.

And if your relationship breaks up, consider the rural dating pool?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM

60 posts, read 72,601 times
So...as I said, is it really that simple? It's just a bunch of people following what the crowd is doing with no tangible benefit?

Also the jobs thing I don't really understand. Yes, jobs are clustered in cities, but this isn't specific to the young. Many older people work in the city and yet commute to the suburbs. Why aren't younger people doing this in as large of numbers?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 16,007 times
I mean, you sort of answered your own question. You're in a committed relationship and don't place value on theater/arts/entertainment that cities offer. Many young people are not in long term relationships and value energy/entertainment over space, quiet, and slower pace. Different strokes.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It's the American way, follow the trend whether it fits "you" or not. Kudos for understanding who you are and what you want out of life as some never figure it out, or limp along trying to fit in half-heartedly.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
You answered your question. You are in a relationship and don't care for the type of offerings city living can give you. You are not a city person.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Youth is for exploration and learning one's identity and place in the world. Cities generally are multicultural with people of numerous backgrounds and personal interests which can help a young person discover what they want out of life. As they get older, those same people with a better sense of self can move on to a more rural or suburban existence after finding what they were looking for earlier in life.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
The possibility of making a living doing something you at least don't hate.

I don't buy into the narrative of young people just wanting to be super urban and riding subways to yoga boutiques and then getting craft cocktails every day.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 AM

183 posts, read 197,109 times
I live in the city because I like being close to cultural amenities as well as restaurants and the like. As I now have a 2 month old daughter, I especially love my city's (Cincinnati) absolutely amazing park system, one of which is just a brief five minute walk from our new house. I also find the traffic to typically be much less hectic than out in the suburbs which I prefer. With all the collector roads and cul-de-sacs in the suburbs, most of the traffic gets funneled to a few major arteries, that are then nearly always busy regardless of the time of day. Add in the commute to work and it is a large amount of time spent in a car doing not much. That's also never really appealed to me much. I think the suburbs are great for people who are more of a home body, but the 9 months I spent in the suburbs when I first moved in with my wife was hellish for me. At this point, you couldn't pay me to live outside of the city proper. But then again, I'm more about having experiences than I am about having a big house with lots of things in it. That's just not of interest to me, but as I always say, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.