Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:00 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,839,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^If you really want winter, as opposed to avoiding it, Denver. Weeks of warm (for the season), sunny weather between snowstorms. Average highs in January in the 40s, often in the 50s, sometimes hits the 60s.
I prefer Boulder to Denver. But, when I visit Denver in the winter, it doesn't blow me away like a Chicago does in summer. Just my style- I like a constant buzz, things happening in the streets, urban enclaves to explore. Denver as a city doesn't do that for me regardless of the time of year.

Again, I actually prefer Boulder. Either way, I do really like Colorado in more general terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,363,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Which major American cities do you feel have more activity during a specific time of year? While all cities will remain busy throughout the year, most cities are noticeably less populated or "happening" during certain seasons and have their peak activity during others.

For example, Miami is considered "in season" during its winter months, as the humidity levels are down and people flee the brutal winters up North. Washington D.C.'s peak activity occurs during the spring, with the annual Cherry Blossom festival drawing over a million and a half visitors. What other cities have noticeable peak seasons and valleys? Which of those are outside the norm?
Los Angeles is a summer city. Most of the activity happens in the summer. Summers temps can get hot so not best for all locals, but you get used to it. LA's concerts are in the summer. Free ones like Downtown Grand Performances, Dance Downtown, Pershing Square, Concerts at Santa Monica pier. Concerts at outdoors like Hollywood Bowl and Greek Theater. LACMA Jazz concerts. Many SoCalians spend summer doing BBQs, relaxing at pool, party at hotel pool parties, going to the beaches (water is warmest in late summer), going to malls seeing summer blockbusters, theme parks are superpacked. Tourist peak in summer esp August when many Asian and Europeans have this month off, but also many Americans do large road trips in summer especially around California from beaches, to cities, to Yosemite. LA is for sure a more summer city with more things to do. Other seasons are not bad, Christmas time/New Years is busy, many Aussies/NZ and cold area people come to LA for warmer temps. Rose Bowl/Parade/Theme Parks are busy places. But summer beats the activities to do and sheer population swell.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Portland, Maine - fall
Hampton Roads area of Virginia - fall
New Orleans - winter, spring, fall but NO SUMMER!
Fort Worth - spring and fall
Austin and the Hill Country of Texas - spring - wildflowers everywhere!
San Francisco - summer
Boston - fall
Denver - summer
Salt Lake City - summer
Ohio cities - summer and fall

Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,909,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Portland, Maine - fall
Hampton Roads area of Virginia - fall
New Orleans - winter, spring, fall but NO SUMMER!
Fort Worth - spring and fall
Austin and the Hill Country of Texas - spring - wildflowers everywhere!
San Francisco - summer
Boston - fall
Denver - summer
Salt Lake City - summer
Ohio cities - summer and fall
I'd add to summer to fall for Portland, ME since that's when the most festivals and greatest amount of tourists visit. Yes, it starts a little slow, but July/August are very busy there.

Hampton Roads I'd say is more spring/summer than fall, thanks to Virginia Beach and tourism in the nearby Williamsburg area.

I visited New Orleans in June 2011, and there were still a good amount of tourists in the popular spots. Yes, the festival scene isn't as active as in the other seasons, but I still saw a couple street performers, and the Mississippi River helps bring a little relief, and of course there's plenty of air conditioned places for comfort, and evenings are pleasantly balmy. I'd really only say that late summer/early fall is the quiet season, due to the heart of hurricane season and most kids back in school down there, with the Halloween festivities picking the activity up again, along with the Saints and Pelicans.

I'd change San Francisco to spring and fall (the two seasons which I visited so far), as summer has that stubborn marine layer including beaches and pools that are usually too chilly to use, along with a lot of people heading out of town for vacations, though it can be quite refreshing coming from hotter parts of the country that time of year who are looking to escape the heat.

Boston is fall, but spring is no slouch with Patriot's Day and the marathon, St. Patrick's day celebrations, the end of the NHL/NBA seasons and possibly playoffs, the return of the Red Sox, performing arts/theatre in full swing from collegiate to professional, and the celebration on warm days that the city has conquered another winter. Summer has the best weather and one of the best fireworks shows for Independence Day, but with college kids on break and families on vacation, the city belongs more to the tourists from elsewhere, but it was still active when I've visited.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,711,119 times
Seattle and Portland are definitely summer cities. Nothing but blue skies and sun during summer... the rest of the year is pretty much grey and rainy.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,575,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Falll is particularly enjoyable in Philly when the returning students fill the streets and the leaves start to change colors.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg
I love this guy's videos. I have always wanted to visit Philly and his videos just get me more jacked about going there.

I really wish someone would do this for the Twin Cities.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,575,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's not all that many snowbirds in Miami compared to all the other parts of South Florida, honestly. Its too rowdy for old white folks lol. They're rather go to Naples or Boca. Miami's top seasons for activity are spring and summer. March in particular, with Ultra and spring break. Summer, cuz the beach. I mean come on, who would rather go swimming in 70 degrees over 90? I never go swimming in Miami in the winter, that's for Canadians!

Fall is the season to be in Texas, cuz its football season. The Cowboys are big in Dallas and high school/college football is big in the rest of the state.

Fall for Boston too, as its just so beautiful up there that time of year.

Winter and Summer for Minneapolis. Winter is what people apparently think its like there for half the year, but really, when it actually is winter, there's lots of people that go ice skating, cross country skiing etc.
And in summer, everyone hits the lakes and parks, and all kinds of festivals and concerts.
In terms of this thread it is definitely not Winter. The locals are definitely still active during Winter, but The Cities experience virtually zero tourism during it.

I'd say Summer/Fall.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:27 AM

122 posts, read 90,318 times
The only true winter city I can think of is Miami. Winter and spring are far nicer in Miami than anytime of the year there. We're not just talking temperatures and humidity but also hurricane season (summer, fall), and the amount of events that Miami throws December - April.

Los Angeles/SoCal in general's season tends to be summer, especially late summer. Maybe a bit into early fall. Spring time is actually the worst time in SoCal - the marine layer, etc. Winters can be all over the place but as years go by tend to be warmer and sunnier.

San Francisco's season definitely is September/October (early fall) when it's the sunniest and warmest. It's quite unique in the USA in that regard - how many cities in the northern hemisphere can boast their warmest months are in the fall?

Most of the midwest and new england's best season is the summer. That's the busiest and nicest time to visit those places.

I'm not sure what season the deep south can claim. Winters can still be quite cold and overcast there. Summers are humid and insufferable - and if you're on the gulf, it's hurricane season. So I guess the fall? Spring can be quite variable there, and I'm not a fan of that.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,439,704 times
Quote:
Denver-all 4 are good, save a few bad days in winter and a few hot, hot (upper 90s, low 100s) in summer, but it's really known for winter, even though the action is in the mountains, 60 or so miles away.
Quote:
Come to Denver for a week. Go to the mountains. Late September/early October is best for the mountains. It can be nice in Denver through November.
Agree with these takes on Denver. Summer is really my least favorite weather wise, but it’s still great. Red Rocks concert season in the summer is amazing. The mountains are spectacular when it’s 90 degrees in town.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:49 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,357,032 times
Northern cities are great in the fall. From Montana to Maine. Kansas to North Carolina. Colorado to Wyoming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.