Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:26 PM

9,883 posts, read 5,552,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well yeah, the Loop/CBD sub-district of downtown is empty at night for the most part because it's the financial center of downtown, all the entertainment and other activities happen in the other areas of downtown.

Don't most cities have this? I mean I don't go hang out in the financial district of NYC or San Fran as a tourist or after dark. I go to the other hopping areas of downtown (if I'm keeping myself specifically in the downtown area).
Well duh, that's my whole point. There's a big difference between staying at a hotel at State and Monroe versus State and Hubbard and someone who isn't familiar with Chicago probably wouldn't know that unless someone mentioned it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 14,379 times
Providence RI might not be the biggest but its note worthy as downtowns go.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 PM

311 posts, read 311,451 times
Abilene, TX is always bustling downtown.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:23 PM

88,053 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Chicago has a large downtown but it's more of a "working" downtown with lots of office space. The core of downtown Chicago is practically a ghost town by 7pm after most people have left work. There's more activity on what might be considered the fringes of downtown, such as River North and West Loop. But most of Chicago's nightlife happens outside of downtown in neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Uptown. My advice to OP if he wants to visit Chicago and have a sense of major activity both day and night, stay in a hotel in River North.
Interesting. That's how downtown Manhattan is also. It's quiet at night and on weekends. It's got some residential now, but it is mainly the financial district. Midtown is what is always open.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:34 PM

21 posts, read 17,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is a great list though I'd rank them as such (for a tourist during late summer):

Chicago - Massive brawny downtown with many of its attractions located in and around downtown, also a surprisingly good ersatz beachtown for the summer. Also booming nightlife if you're into it. Events are everywhere in Chicago at this point with some kind of festival every summer weekend. It's true that the immediate downtown towers are much more of an employment center, but there's a sizable population that lives there now and many events and attractions are in or close to downtown. It can get pretty hot and humid, but with the lake to cool off and how bustling the city becomes, it's still great. This is definitely the largest looking and feeling downtown of the bunch.

Boston - Not good for nightlife, but great for a tourist traveling about with really good weather. The restaurants and nightlife aren't the greatest, but there are some highlights. You're more here for how nice the city in general is. This feels like the fourth largest downtown of the bunch to me, but I feel like there's a slight but noticeable gap between this and Philadelphia's Center City.

Seattle - Summers in the pacific northwest are great with extremely long daylight hours and with it seldom being very hot, just warm. Also not a great nightlife town, but not bad at all especially during summer. This downtown feels like the fifth largest of the bunch to me.

Philadelphia - A very good restaurant and bar scene, historic sites is basically the entire urban core of the city. It can get pretty hot and muggy, but slightly better than DC. For such a large metropolis, the city can often feel somewhat quaint. This downtown feels the third largest of the bunch.

SF - Like Chicago in having a lot of its attractions downtown, though it makes sense to take the trip out to Land's End as it's among the most scenic urban parks in the world. The issue is that it's been dry for a while by late summer and the urine and refuse kinda piles up a bit plus some of the beautiful interplay of city and nature is a bit lost at that point as things turn brown. There's also little of that kind of pent up energy from colder seasons. Nightlife is pretty mediocre, but restaurants can often be great. This downtown feels the second largest to me of the bunch.

DC - It's the capital and it has a lot of tourist attractions, though the neighborhoods further out are where the bars and restaurants are. It is hot and humid as balls from what I remember and the nightlife doesn't seem to be that great to me. This feels like the smallest, but still sizable downtown of the bunch. I know it has one of the largest concentration of office jobs, but the low-rise nature of them means a sizable expanse of blocks where the downtown feels relatively sterile and then those are interspersed with large monuments and parks. It's not really downtown you head to for restaurants and drinks.

LA - This wasn't listed, but it is a pretty great downtown just a little more diminished than you'd expect for a city of its size. Like San Francisco, the large homeless population and lack of rain over the summer often means there's a grime that builds with the addition of it getting really hot during the daytime (downtown Los Angeles is fairly inland so it doesn't benefit directly from the ocean breeze). I think I much prefer any season aside from late summer for Los Angeles. Downtown Los Angeles does have a very good restaurant scene and pretty decent bars. This downtown to me feels somewhat similar in size to Seattle's to me, but with it quickly transitioning to rundown parts whereas Seattle's feels better connected to other fairly nice neighborhoods. It's been quickly improving, but I think for a downtown visit, I'd recommend shelving this for a future time and a different season.

Overall, I'd pick Chicago for August.
What would you rank them by for living there?

Old 08-05-2017, 10:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,384,440 times
Atlanta is worth a look, especially if you combine downtown with Midtown, which everyone typically does. World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, College Football HOF, Centennial Olympic Park, Zoo Atlanta, Fox Theater, Krog Street Market, High Art Museum, the famous Varsity restaurant, the Sundial restaurant on top of the Westin, etc, and there's plenty of nightlife in Midtown.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,249,520 times
Putting aside NYC, which is in a class all its own, there are five roughly comparable top-tier U.S. downtowns- Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago and Philly. Those are really the only cities under serious consideration, IMO.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,858,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Seattle - Summers in the pacific northwest are great with extremely long daylight hours and with it seldom being very hot, just warm. Also not a great nightlife town, but not bad at all especially during summer. This downtown feels like the fifth largest of the bunch to me
Between Capitol Hill and Belltown, Seattle has some of the best nightlife on the West Coast. On the weekends, the streets in here districts couldn't be more filled with people attracted to the clubs/bars.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,648,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Putting aside NYC, which is in a class all its own, there are five roughly comparable top-tier U.S. downtowns- Boston, Philly, DC, Chicago and Philly. Those are really the only cities under serious consideration, IMO.
So you haven't been to San Francisco?

Old 08-06-2017, 03:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,249,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
So you haven't been to San Francisco?
Oops, I meant to write "SF" but accidentally wrote "Philly" twice. Yeah, obviously SF is one of those "Top 5" city centers, after NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.