Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Some US cities are doing great economically others not so good. Which city do you think will be the next Detroit?
Hartford, Ct (smaller scale)

Chicago (dragged down further by Illinois bankruptcy at some point)

Memphis

Buffalo, NY

Newark, NJ

Atlantic City, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Dallas. Most of the transplanted companies who mentioned moving to "Dallas" in their press releases ended up in-and-around Legacy Town Center, a commercial master-planned community in the northern suburb of Frisco, 25 miles due north of Downtown Dallas.

With the sprawl trying to reach Oklahoma, it's more advantageous to place your company's offices there because it's central between the inner city and the ever-growing sprawl. Toyota cited good housing stock close to the office and a good school district as two of its most important parameters for choosing a new HQ location and suburban Collin County fit the bill over more urban Dallas County.

Dallas' sprawl pattern is very similar to Detroit, with affluent residents isolated in the northern suburbs. Legacy is increasingly being called "the current center of the universe" on this forum.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Baltimore is a close comparison, a crumbling inner city surrounded by several suburban areas that are doing quite well. For example Howard County, MD is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Philadelphia is another city known for its violence and poverty though its reputation for some reason isn't quite as bad as Detroit or Baltimore's.

Gary, Indiana is said to be a mini-Detroit, and East St. Louis, Illinois as well.

I'm not sure about Cleveland if its decline is slowing down.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:28 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
Chicago.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Unfortunately, many (if not most) of these types of posters are former or current residents who have an axe to grind, and feel a perverse need to bring others to their own miserable level.
I'm not trying to bring anyone down to my miserable level. I am just saying that all these boosters won't even live in Detroit! It's a bit hypocritical that these folks that don't live in Detroit and when you ask why they come up with a long list of reasons... oh you know, everything's great there, but the housing is low quality. (uh huh) Crime is just fine there (uh huh, that's why you live in the suburbs).

Detroit is great-- for someone else. But hey I take my kids once a year to a Tigers game so I'm not a racist who would never live in the city!

I guess what I'm saying is, for all the people who are so prideful of Detroit -- please put your money where your mouth is. This city got abandoned by the people that moved to the suburbs. Then now that there's a few nice things all of a sudden, they have a lot of pride, but almost none of them live in the city. Please be realistic about the long haul Detroit has. If you are living in the city and making it better, then fine - say all you want. If you are sitting in a suburban enclave and would never even consider living there, but hey now you'll go to a few events or Belle Isle-- quit being so sensitive. If you want to make Detroit better, MOVE THERE and actually help Detroit. Don't keep voting down transit to keep Detroit people out of your suburbs. Be a real part of the community.

Last edited by jakebarnes; 08-07-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Baltimore is a close comparison, a crumbling inner city surrounded by several suburban areas that are doing quite well. For example Howard County, MD is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Philadelphia is another city known for its violence and poverty though its reputation for some reason isn't quite as bad as Detroit or Baltimore's.

Gary, Indiana is said to be a mini-Detroit, and East St. Louis, Illinois as well.

I'm not sure about Cleveland if its decline is slowing down.
Because crime isn't as high as the other two. Philly has gotten a bad rap historically to represent the ills of the city. The other reason is that Philly is currently doing better than both on other fronts.

The "Next Detroit" could mean a lot of things. I think the most likely "next Detroit" is a chain of cities all of whom can't balance a budget, deal with pension issues and manage their infrastructures without going into bankruptcy. I doubt Baltimore or Philadelphia will lose population in the future in a manner similar to Detroit, which is what a lot of people are focusing on. But maybe they will need to go into bankruptcy protection (even cities like Chicago could have this happen).

Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Because crime isn't as high as the other two. Philly has gotten a bad rap historically to represent the ills of the city. The other reason is that Philly is currently doing better than both on other fronts.

The "Next Detroit" could mean a lot of things. I think the most likely "next Detroit" is a chain of cities all of whom can't balance a budget, deal with pension issues and manage their infrastructures without going into bankruptcy. I doubt Baltimore or Philadelphia will lose population in the future in a manner similar to Detroit, which is what a lot of people are focusing on. But maybe they will need to go into bankruptcy protection (even cities like Chicago could have this happen).
Baltimore would have long into bankruptcy at least 20 years ago, the difference is that unlike Michigan, the Maryland state government is dominated by liberal Democrats who keep it afloat with tax money from elsewhere in the state, unlike how taxpayers from the Michigan Upper Peninsula etc got sick and tired of doing. Most of the inner city is a war zone and the past two years have been especially bad with the Freddie Gray riots and crime skyrocketing now that the police are afraid to do their jobs. Because they make the slightest mistake like with Freddie (which they didn't intend to kill) BLM is up in arms and the national liberal media is pouncing on them.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:55 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I'm not trying to bring anyone down to my miserable level. I am just saying that all these boosters won't even live in Detroit! It's a bit hypocritical that these folks that don't live in Detroit and when you ask why they come up with a long list of reasons... oh you know, everything's great there, but the housing is low quality. (uh huh) Crime is just fine there (uh huh, that's why you live in the suburbs).

Detroit is great-- for someone else. But hey I take my kids once a year to a Tigers game so I'm not a racist who would never live in the city!

I guess what I'm saying is, for all the people who are so prideful of Detroit -- please put your money where your mouth is. This city got abandoned by the people that moved to the suburbs. Then now that there's a few nice things all of a sudden, they have a lot of pride, but almost none of them live in the city. Please be realistic about the long haul Detroit has. If you are living in the city and making it better, then fine - say all you want. If you are sitting in a suburban enclave and would never even consider living there, but hey now you'll go to a few events or Belle Isle-- quit being so sensitive. If you want to make Detroit better, MOVE THERE and actually help Detroit. Don't keep voting down transit to keep Detroit people out of your suburbs. Be a real part of the community.
What you're describing is no different than people from the outlying suburbs of Chicago, or Philadelphia, or any other large city being boosters of their largest regional city without actually living there. Someone from, for example, Winnetka, can't be a Cubs fan and attend events in Chicago while choosing not to live in the ghettos there but somehow it's okay if they support Chicago and are happy when good things happen there, as opposed to suburbanites from the Detroit Metro who should be ashamed and feel like hypocrites? How does that work?

I live an hour's drive from Detroit in the farmland of SE Michigan. My family has lived here since the 1830s and our lives are here. What you're saying, then, is that in order to be supportive of Detroit and the improvements that are happening there, to be a "booster" and wish the city well, we must pull up stakes and move into the city proper or we are hypocrites, right? Wrong. Also, people who aren't sitting in the city are helping to make it better every single day. Do you think that people like the Ilitch's or Dan Gilbert live in the city of Detroit? Have they done great things for the city? Yes, yes, yes.

Detroit has made, and is still making, huge strides. In the meantime, much of it, like a lot of other major cities, is still not safe to live in, not for the people who live there now and not for people who would move there from the suburbs. However, the city did not deteriorate in a day and it will not come back in a day. The day probably is coming when people from the suburbs feel safe moving back into the city, but there are other issues that you don't even touch on, such as many people of means today have a preference for new construction and a home with multiple bathrooms and other amenities that you don't find many of in the city proper. Labeling everyone a racist because they don't want to move to a modest 1920s bungalow or 1950s brick ranch or a behemoth 1900 mansion such as those in Boston-Edison that can be real money pits does not make someone a racist. It makes them someone who prefers the type of housing that was not built in the city of Detroit back when it was developed.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post

I commute from outside the MSA to work inside of Detroit. Why not move? It isn't so simple. Due to some family dynamics, I need to be near them. (I had to quit a job I loved and sell my house to relocate back.)

Even though I am not a resident, I am committed to helping better Detroit. I regularly volunteer within the city, often directly in the neighborhoods and regularly with DPS. I tutored a first grader every week last school year as a volunteer. Last year, I had over 100 volunteer hours in the city. This year, I have 70 so far. So, it isn't like I look on from afar. I am involved. I am here almost every day. I just don't live there.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:21 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I don't live in Michigan but have a lot of family in the Pontiac area. I think boosterism is a good thing for metro Detroiters. People in the suburbs and state as a whole have done nothing but disparage the city for decades, and politically railed against anything that would help the city. So if the first step is Michiganers taking pride in their major city once again, it's a great thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.