Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Texas is the only place I've ever lived where state pride is even a thing, and man alive you've gotta open wide and swallow hard because they ram it down your throat in cult-like fashion. They went so far as to make my elementary school-aged kids pledge allegiance to the Texas state flag - which I thought was over the top and idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 09:12 PM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Texas is the only place I've ever lived where state pride is even a thing, and man alive you've gotta open wide and swallow hard because they ram it down your throat in cult-like fashion. They went so far as to make my elementary school-aged kids pledge allegiance to the Texas state flag - which I thought was over the top and idiotic.
Wow, I think having kids recite the US Pledge of Allegiance daily is ridiculous, but adding a state pledge to the routine is really out there.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:06 PM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
I grew up in Northeast Ohio, but even from a young age I felt like an outsider and did not enjoy the people, climate, weather and general vibe of the area. A few years ago, I moved to Kentucky and love the area. I find the south's traditions and way of life fit me better. I don't think there is anything wrong with moving to somewhere you like better. There is no expectation of loyalty to the place that one is born in, as it isn't their choice in the first place.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:56 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
I don't really care for states, regions, or countries. Definitely don't have an inkling of pride for any of those entities and more than likely never will. The world as a whole is a great place, you severely limit yourself to one spot in the globe when you close the door on the world outside your country and even worse, your state or region.

I am really just into cities and their metropolitan regions, individually. The other thing is that while I definitely do play favorites as I do like some cities more than others, I am also pretty flexible. As soon as my needs change or I run out of a use for a place, I simply press the eject button and restart life all over somewhere else, provided that I secure a job in said elsewhere before physically relocating.

To me, this dis-attachment keeps me open to just about every corner of the globe. Again, I do play favorites and do have my favorite cities, but leave the door wide open when embracing change. You'll never know what life can throw at you.

When I was younger, like many other people, I would have an instilled sense of pride for where I lived. Things over the years have changed a lot for me, changed to the point where I can no longer ever understand that point of view anymore. That idea that you're just so emotionally invested in one place. I can never be able to relate to that. I completely go against that sort of point of view now, when speaking for myself.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-17-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Montana is like this. The state is poor, the cost of living is high, and there are few jobs paying more than minimum wage, but you're supposed to be loyal to it and stay there. When I left the state you would have thought I had renounced my US citizenship and moved to some enemy territory. It was ridiculous. I never really meshed well with the people thee for many reasons and haven't lived there in 11 years.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Wow, way to exaggerate

No one ever rammed Texas state pride down my throat when I was living there, and they have a lot of it, that is true. However they're not the only state with strong state pride. California does as well, look at all the t. shirts and designs with the state name, shape or flag. So does Minnesota. People adorn the state shape in a lot of things and have a lot of "MN Pride." (Not so much the flag though, sadly we have a lame flag, unlike TX, CA or CO)

Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Wow, way to exaggerate

No one ever rammed Texas state pride down my throat when I was living there, and they have a lot of it, that is true. However they're not the only state with strong state pride. California does as well, look at all the t. shirts and designs with the state name, shape or flag. So does Minnesota. People adorn the state shape in a lot of things and have a lot of "MN Pride." (Not so much the flag though, sadly we have a lame flag, unlike TX, CA or CO)
Iowa has lots of state pride. People have to say the state name every three sentences or so.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As much as Californian's and Texan's like to take pot-shots at each other, it's safe to say that there isn't anything different about them when it comes to state pride. Both too large, too full of people, and too full of themselves.
I shudder when people suggest for me to either move back to CA, or take a job some place in TX. Better to be forgotten here in NM where the only place that seems to matter to anyone out of state is Santa Fe.
Is there much state pride in The Land of Enchantment?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Minnesota. We put our state map on ****ing everything. T shirts. Oven mitts. Backgammon boards.

Also the state fair. And 'one of us' culture.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
I feel a great deal of pride in being an Atlanta native, a Georgian, even a Southerner.

I feel proud about growing up in Clayton County (Atlanta's working class southside suburb)

I am a proud alumni of the University of Georgia AND Forest Park High.

I am a proud life long Baptist, and a member of Harvest Baptist.

I am proud of my family and family name.

I am proud (and lucky) to be an American citizen.

I have a great deal of pride in many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.