Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,499 times

Advertisements

Outside of college towns, what places would you say are havens for college grads in their 20s and young adults in general who are not married, looking to continue some parts of their college ways (going out and socializing), and is loaded with millennials and 20 somethings who aren't really ready to start a family but are college graduates or young adults in general.

How is life like in these places?

How tough would it be to make new friends if know no one in a city?

What are some cities that fit this description down to a tee?

Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Greenville SC is an idea. Nice downtown area. VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

I think it has a college town vibe to it.

If you are into college football, Clemson University is 40 minutes away. It has a great tailgating scene.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decorum ross View Post
Outside of college towns, what places would you say are havens for college grads in their 20s and young adults in general who are not married, looking to continue some parts of their college ways (going out and socializing), and is loaded with millennials and 20 somethings who aren't really ready to start a family but are college graduates or young adults in general.

How is life like in these places?

How tough would it be to make new friends if know no one in a city?

What are some cities that fit this description down to a tee?
Berkeley and Oakland, CA. But they're expensive. Berkeley is a college town, Oakland isn't. Taos, NM is another, but it's a small town, so it's not really "loaded" with millennials. The only other locations I can think of are actual college towns.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Greenville SC is an idea. Nice downtown area. VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

I think it has a college town vibe to it.

If you are into college football, Clemson University is 40 minutes away. It has a great tailgating scene.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but you literally suggest Greenville, SC to every single thread asking for a place to move to. Sure it's ideal for some, but for a twenty-whatever year old looking for a "haven" for people his age, there's simply better options.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:51 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Probably cities with a strong, but not necessarily dominating college presence. So, places like Columbus OH, Austin TX, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Nashville and Atlanta, among others, could fit.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
I'm wondering the same thing. I think affordability is very important.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:08 PM

Here are a few areas that I think could possibly work (since you didn't declare a budget, I won't take cost of living as a factor). You also didn't say anything in regards to weather, scenery, outdoors, etc... so really don't know what to go off of

SF/Oakland, CA
Nashville, TN
Pittsburgh, PA
Denver, CO
Boulder, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Louisville, KY
Columbus, OH
Raleigh, NC
Atlanta, GA
Kansas City, MO

Old 07-09-2017, 07:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you, but you literally suggest Greenville, SC to every single thread asking for a place to move to. Sure it's ideal for some, but for a twenty-whatever year old looking for a "haven" for people his age, there's simply better options.
I had a feelings one of you guys would show up. You are trying to argue with me rather than simply list your own suggestions. Why does it get under your skin if I suggest Greenville. That makes no sense.

I don't 'literally' suggest Greenville for everything.. You are making a false assertion.

You don't get to decide for every young person what the best options are. Just because you prefer larger cities, that doesn't mean every young person does.

Greenville is the most populated country, MSA and CSA in SC, the 23rd most populated state. It is not a small town.

The OP never said anything about population.

I recalled your screenname for some reason and so I searched your post history for Greenville, and you have said several positive things about Greenville. It sounded like you almost moved to Greenville at one point in the past few years, and you appear to be in your 20s. Kind of surprising that now you would have a problem with me recommending it to a young person.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-09-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:41 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
San Francisco
NYC, particularly Manhattan and Brooklyn
Stamford, CT
San Jose
Los Angeles/Santa Barbara
Denver
Portland
Seattle

The list goes on.

Not sure why you're opposed to towns with strong college presences?

Boston/Cambridge
Boulder
Austin
Burlington, VT

Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I had a feelings one of you guys would show up. You are trying to argue with me rather than simply list your own suggestions. Why does it get under your skin if I suggest Greenville. That makes no sense.

I don't 'literally' suggest Greenville for everything.. You are making a false assertion.

I doubt you have ever been to Greenville SC.

You don't get to decide for every young person what the best options are. Just because you prefer larger cities, that doesn't mean every young person does.

Greenville is the most populated country, MSA and CSA in SC, the 23rd most populated state. It is not a small town.

The OP never said anything about population.
You really do though, and you always get defensive when someone says something about Greenville or something in regards to you. Do I really need to go back through your posts and copy/paste each time you recommend Greenville, that would be a lot of copy/paste work for me though.

You're correct, he never said anything in regards to population, but did say they want to be in a "haven" of his age group, and again, there are simply better options than Greenville, why get mad? You saying I prefer large cities, while not knowing me at all, has made you look foolish. I actually LOVE rural areas, and would much prefer a small town over a large place, so you lost that battle. Just because I recommended larger areas doesn't mean I personally prefer it as well, those options are just areas with an abundance of his age group with plenty to do for the OP.

Lastly, I've been to Greenville multiple times, and did actually enjoy it, so again, you're wrong about something else. Also, when did Greenville become a "country"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.