Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM

153 posts, read 416,575 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a major city to move to where I can be able to have the following:

-Access to a downtown bustling area but also access to parks/nature/theoutdoors

-Good public transport

-Lots of diversity and ethnic food (really important)

-Change of seasons (snow in winter)

-Preferably not too expensive

-Good for young people and good job market

The most important thing to me is I'd love to be able to live in an area where I don't feel the "hustle and bustle" of a major city but be able to take public transport to a downtown bustling area.

I've been thinking Chicago, Philly, and Seattle since I think NYC would not be as relaxed and not have enough nature and I didn't care for Boston when I visited. I'd love to live in New England but I don't know of any major city other than Boston so I figured that was "the best" New England had to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,707 times
Denver first, then Seattle.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I've been thinking Chicago, Philly, and Seattle since I think NYC would not be as relaxed and not have enough nature and I didn't care for Boston when I visited.
You should start thinking SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SEATTLE, and did I mention San Francisco?

There are no better cities than San Francisco and Seattle for that 1, 2, pow! downtown punch. Yeah I'm not kidding but only problem with the two would be that they're both very expensive but if you were considering NYC then why not? If you want to stay on the cheaper side then check out Portland, Austin, Denver, and Salt Lake. Because you like snow, its going to have to be either Denver or Salt Lake.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You should start thinking SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SAN FRANCISCO, SEATTLE, and did I mention San Francisco?

There are no better cities than San Francisco and Seattle for that 1, 2, pow! downtown punch. Yeah I'm not kidding but only problem with the two would be that they're both very expensive but if you were considering NYC then why not? If you want to stay on the cheaper side then check out Portland, Austin, Denver, and Salt Lake. Because you like snow, its going to have to be either Denver or Salt Lake.
Except San Francisco does not fit 2/6 things. It is very expensive and does not have four real seasons or snow.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Except San Francisco does not fit 2/6 things. It is very expensive and does not have four real seasons or snow.
I know.

I ultimately recommended Denver and Salt Lake.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I know.

I ultimately recommended Denver and Salt Lake.
I would agree with those.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Is Pittsburgh large enough?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If you can make it to Montreal we got many islands around the city that are all parks and a mountain in the middle of the city that is virtually all park. and a whole range of mountains to the north called the laurentiens with the Adirondacks to the south Rivers and lakes abound.
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blo...au-460x304.jpg

Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned Minneapolis yet! That's exactly the perfect city for this criteria!

-Access to a downtown bustling area but also access to parks/nature/theoutdoors: Lots of parks all over the city; some of the best park integration I've ever seen. Easy access to the Boundary Waters, the Driftless, and of course all sorts of lakes for more "hardcore" outdoors.

-Good public transport: MetroTransit has good bus service and probably the cleanest, most logical light rail service I've used, and it's growing pretty fast, with a new line between Minneapolis and St. Paul set to open in 2014.

-Lots of diversity and ethnic food (really important): Plenty of that, nothing to worry about.

-Change of seasons (snow in winter): Clearly.

-Preferably not too expensive: Check.

-Good for young people and good job market : And check.

-Area where I don't feel the "hustle and bustle" of a major city but be able to take public transport to a downtown bustling area: There are some really pretty neighborhoods in south Minneapolis and Bloomington not far from the light rail line.

Denver and Salt Lake would definitely be great choices as well, and you should look into that, but I don't know if you'll do better than the Twin Cities on this one.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned Minneapolis yet! That's exactly the perfect city for this criteria!

Passable mall..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.