Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times

Advertisements

Hello I live in Richmond VA and it is horrible here for me because I have allergies and all of the above basically. Not that I'm blaming the city itself I am saying personally because of the weather and environmental elements I often have really bad days. I get painful headaches and sneezing.. I'm sure most of you know what it is like. Is there any escape? I hear Idaho and Arizona are good states for relief is that true? Does anyone have any suggestions for a better location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 11,394 times
I lived in Boise,Idaho for almost 2 years and it was better to me being from Michigan and now living in Ohio. People out there say its horrible but to me its not. I have constant sinus infections, sinus headaches here and especially during season changes. In Idaho, you have the seasons but its milder,the winters are shorter, and when its hot theres not a lot of humidity. It also depends on what your allergies are. I have hayfever and asthma..the pollen really bothers me, so I'm considering moving back to Idaho once I'm done with school because the pollen is not as bad. You can also check out the air quality by state and county I believe on the American Lung website and try this one AIRNow - Home. Let me know what you figure out, but so far Idaho is what I'm considering! Good luck...

Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 AM

149 posts, read 762,159 times
There's 2 ways to look at it. In general it can be said that the best state(s) for allergies are the ones that have the longest winters, because that's less time out of the year that pollen and mold are blowing about. That would be somewhere like Maine, North Dakota, Minnesota, Alaska, etc.

Specifically though, you might want to look at a map of where whatever-you're-allergic-to grows, and avoid those places. For example, if you're allergic to birch pollen, move to the desert. If you're allergic to ragweed, you might want to stay away from the southwest & central plains because I've heard the ragweed grows massive down there. And if it's pollution, stay out of major cities and industrial areas.

Also, I've heard that tropical locations are good because of the high humidity, the pollen cannot become airborne and just falls to the ground. Don't know how true it is though.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Anywhere but here (coastal Nor Cal). Year round pollen, bad dust during the dry season, mold most of the year, etc.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,599 times
Florida's the worst. (Tampa Bay Area). Moved here a year ago from anther state, and have been deathly sick since . First the horrific pollen then the mold! Mold outside is everywhere. Trees, sidewalks, roofs , driveways, building, vegetation, air, etc., there's no "fresh air" just the constant smell of mold, mildew, fungus! Totally horrific place in the country. Not to mention Florida doesn't have quality air emissions standards . Lots of toxic waste is emitted into the air also. Not to mention all this gets in your home everytime you open the door. Since being down here I'm on inhalers several prescription allergy meds. Recently diagnosed with moderate asthma. So many people here are the same. And now diagnosed with mold toxicity sickness. I'm so sick have had so many tests. I want so bad to move from Florida. You can't even have your windows open and have to breath stale air conditione dusty air. Don't come here!! People who have lived here for a long time are not sympathetic. Also you have to buy bottled water as the tap water is horrible. Listed as one of the worst drinking water states in the nation. Most of the year the cold water, if that's what you call it, runs hot out of the tap.??? Even the daily rains is so dirty. Your car has to be constantly washed from the mold spores and pollen and emissions that are everywhere. If you're thinking of moving here call any ENT they'll tell you the same!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:03 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Hello I live in Richmond VA and it is horrible here for me because I have allergies and all of the above basically. Not that I'm blaming the city itself I am saying personally because of the weather and environmental elements I often have really bad days. I get painful headaches and sneezing.. I'm sure most of you know what it is like. Is there any escape? I hear Idaho and Arizona are good states for relief is that true? Does anyone have any suggestions for a better location?
It's not so much about states as it is about location. Desert climates were once thought to be best until development arrived bringing along varying types of imported landscape that pollinates like anywhere else. High altitude locations can be better in that they eliminate a good number of pollen triggers with evergreen/juniper pollen being heavier and less airborne than hardwood tree pollen which is much more prone to inhalation due to it's much smaller size. When one sees yellowish-green pollen on your car for example that is most always from Pine Trees or other evergreens. Coastal locations (within a few hundred feet) of the ocean also tend better due to prevailing winds that keep the air clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.