Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:42 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmail45 View Post
seem like and actually live up to it is two different things. Louisville can get really boring after awhile. once the derby,zombie walking dead crap and thunder over Louisville theres nothing to brag about. Louisville boosters will have you thinking if you were blind folded after hearing of this magnificent city paved in gold and emeralds then you remove the blinds and theres Louisville. wow amazing but not close to what they claim the city offers
I think Louisville is very nice for the size that it is. It's only a MSA of 1.3 million people. It's not going to compared to Indy or Cincy at that size. However when you compare it to its true peers, like Memphis, OKC, and Jacksonville, Louisville wins hands down and it isn't even a contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Louisville is very nice for the size that it is. It's only a MSA of 1.3 million people. It's not going to compared to Indy or Cincy at that size. However when you compare it to its true peers, like Memphis, OKC, and Jacksonville, Louisville wins hands down and it isn't even a contest.
Louisville's true peers would also include Richmond and New Orleans. If Louisville "wins" compared to those two as well as Jacksonville, I certainly don't see it as an across-the-board hands down win and it's very much a contest.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:30 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
The older established cities or the upcoming hot spots.. NYC, SF, DC, LA, Austin, Portland, SD, Denver are the ones from my experience that seem to care less what others think.

Chicago - it shouldn't but it has that "flyover" country sensitivity
Southern Cities - you can tell by how the "south" specific threads here go..

Last edited by Ebck120; 02-05-2019 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Louisville's true peers would also include Richmond and New Orleans. If Louisville "wins" compared to those two as well as Jacksonville, I certainly don't see it as an across-the-board hands down win and it's very much a contest.
Agreed..... Been to all three and although Louisville is nice.... It don't see how it's "better" then Richmond or New Orleans.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The older established cities or the upcoming hot spots.. NYC, SF, DC, LA, Austin, Portland, SD, Denver are the ones from my experience that seem to care less what others think.
DC is a bit iffy as its different than many of its Western counterparts which are the premiere cities of their countries and are known for far more than just being their nation's capitals. DC is still developing an identity beyond that.

Quote:
Southern Cities - you can tell by how the "south" specific threads here go..
Many of which, ironically, are started by people who don't live there. Most of the older Southern cities are exceptions, but I do think that this board skews perceptions somewhat when it comes to the "newer" cities.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
DC is a bit iffy as its different than many of its Western counterparts which are the premiere cities of their countries and are known for far more than just being their nation's capitals. DC is still developing an identity beyond that.
For DC, it's not the identity of the city but rather the fact that if you make it there, you're pretty much top of top.... There's no need for further validation. Some will see this as arrogance and others won't but in general DC folks are pretty content in being surround by others like them.

Quote:

Many of which, ironically, are started by people who don't live there. Most of the older Southern cities are exceptions, but I do think that this board skews perceptions somewhat when it comes to the "newer" cities.
Most of the ones I've seen are started by Southerners and are constantly bombarded by other Southerners stating what they have, who they have and how they are relevant and how they are better then their peers etc.... it makes sense as they are more or less the newcomers but it's obvious that there is something to prove there bc they feel as though that they don't get the acknowledgment they deserve. For example alot of Atl forumers think they are above their Southern peers and in line with the best of the other regions but are often left out of the conversation.....

Last edited by Ebck120; 02-05-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
For DC, it's not the identity of the city but rather the fact that if you make it there, you're pretty much top of top.... There's no need for further validation. Some will see this as arrogance and others won't but in general DC folks are pretty content in being surround by others like them.
From my perspective, it's that career-obsessed stereotype which is often a sore spot because it gives the perception that that's all the city is about. People move to DC mostly for a career in government, government-affiliated entities, think tanks, non-profits, etc. but not in creative sectors so it lacks the "cool" factor of the other established coastal cities. Things are changing on that front but that one-dimensionalism has long been a point of insecurity with respect to DC.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
From my perspective, it's that career-obsessed stereotype which is often a sore spot because it gives the perception that that's all the city is about. People move to DC mostly for a career in government, government-affiliated entities, think tanks, non-profits, etc. but not in creative sectors so it lacks the "cool" factor of the other established coastal cities. Things are changing on that front but that one-dimensionalism has long been a point of insecurity with respect to DC.
Maybe on CD..... but definitely a no in real life. Government folk love being surrounded by other government folk and asking what school everyone went to before asking what someones name is.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:
I don’t believe people who actually live in DC or especially DC natives care or feel about any of those tithings

Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Is that a sign of being secure? Or is it hubris and over-confident. They are not the same thing.
Both. I'm sure their citizens have a take it or leave it attitude. Can't say that about many cities. Look at the southern posters here. They tend to look for validation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.