Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times

Advertisements

What a random thing to worry about. Most states have bears. Really though? Bears? Of all things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Thanks for the few serious replies here.

It's too bad people can't just answer the question posed. I don't see what's funny about my concern. I'd like to see all you sarcastic people here if a bear was on your deck or in your yard. You'd be cracking jokes left and right I'm sure.
My aunt found a gator in the chicken coop on her farm. Know what she did? Took a video lol. Then waited for it to retreat to the swamp.

I've stayed in cabins in the Smokies. We never saw bears, but we saw their tracks in the snow. There's no reason to fear a bear thats outside. They're not gonna attack you, unless you do something stupid.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 PM

32,761 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What a random thing to worry about. Most states have bears. Really though? Bears? Of all things?
I was surprised how many places don't.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 PM

32,761 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is true. However, there is one important caveat. Unlike brown bears, black bears are not territorial. Therefore, on the very rare occasions they do attack someone, they are looking to eat them. So if you are confronted with a black bear acting aggressively and strangely, you should run like hell, not play dead and wait for the bear to leave.
How fun! A little game of tag before dinner.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
Black bears came out at night when staying in a Tennessee cabin outside Gatlinburg. A mama bear got in our garbage one night but she wouldn't come towards us, just looking good for her cubs, likely.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 PM

175 posts, read 200,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's not random. I don't want to EVER encounter a bear, big or small, black or brown, harmless or not, wandering, looking for food, rolling around in the grass, playing with other bears, walking down the street, swimming in someone's pool, taking a nap, whatever. I don't care if you think it's goofy.It's not like I said I'm afraid of living near elephants. They're not roaming around the USA loose. I don't want to live where alligators are, either. Or cougars or mountain lions or moose for that matter. I can barely stand seeing coyotes in my town. They kill pets, for Pete's sake. Frankly, I think anyone who thinks they are interesting to see close up and personal is nuts. They're friggin' BEARS.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:32 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How fun! A little game of tag before dinner.
There are strategies for outrunning bears. One is to run downhill and swing around a tree and go uphill again. A bear cannot turn as quickly, so you will be able to outrun it.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Chicago has some bears, but they've been hibernating.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Quote:
Thanks for the few serious replies here.

It's too bad people can't just answer the question posed. I don't see what's funny about my concern. I'd like to see all you sarcastic people here if a bear was on your deck or in your yard. You'd be cracking jokes left and right I'm sure.
Well you are entitled to that opinion. But bear vs. human has been mimicked for decades, if not centuries. The bear almost always wins.

Yes, there are ways to prevent attack and most have been outlined here, even the sarcastic ones.

Your original post asked which State have them. That, too, has been answered, with both seriousness and perhaps some sarcasm, but nothing to be offended about IMO.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 PM

20,721 posts, read 9,318,602 times
Quote:
It's not random. I don't want to EVER encounter a bear, big or small, black or brown, harmless or not, wandering, looking for food, rolling around in the grass, playing with other bears, walking down the street, swimming in someone's pool, taking a nap, whatever. I don't care if you think it's goofy.It's not like I said I'm afraid of living near elephants. They're not roaming around the USA loose. I don't want to live where alligators are, either. Or cougars or mountain lions or moose for that matter. I can barely stand seeing coyotes in my town. They kill pets, for Pete's sake. Frankly, I think anyone who thinks they are interesting to see close up and personal is nuts. They're friggin' BEARS.
What about bobcats? They're found pretty much everywhere, and kill pets. If you don't even like coyotes and bobcats anywhere near you, you might want to consider ... I dunno, maybe Hawaii doesn't have either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.