Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times

Advertisements

We all know that Florida is pretty snowless but when you start to notice no snow from January to March. Growing up in NYC you had to have a least 3 feet of snow before school got canceled when I moved to NC it was just a drop of snow to cancel school since the south isn't use to heavy snowfall. Would North Georgia or maybe Upstae SC be the southern most place on the East Coast to receive snow? I know the mountains in NC get a pretty heavy dose of snow so i'm just wondering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 09:25 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Florida gets snow sometimes but its rare. but I think thats the case for most of the deep south. are you saying which state gets snow almost every year?

Old 12-20-2019, 01:21 AM

142 posts, read 115,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Florida gets snow sometimes but its rare. but I think thats the case for most of the deep south. are you saying which state gets snow almost every year?
Inaccurate statement

Old 12-20-2019, 04:58 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The North Georgia mountains and the Upstate of SC near the NC border are the southernmost places with regular snow accumulation.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Just south of and along the I-85 corridor from the northern areas of Atlanta, trough Greenville/Spartanburg and Charlotte gets 1-3 accumulating snows a year. Especially the farther north you head up I-85. It's usually in the 2"-5" range with each accumulation. About every 10 years or so there may be areas that will miss an accumulation one Winter, but that's rare. But areas farther south of this area can average 1"-2" per Winter over a 30 year span. So that's the general area that's the farthest south that gets regular snow accumulation, as small as it may be.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
We all know that Florida is pretty snowless but when you start to notice no snow from January to March. Growing up in NYC you had to have a least 3 feet of snow before school got canceled when I moved to NC it was just a drop of snow to cancel school since the south isn't use to heavy snowfall. Would North Georgia or maybe Upstae SC be the southern most place on the East Coast to receive snow? I know the mountains in NC get a pretty heavy dose of snow so i'm just wondering?
First of all, it's not a matter of "not being used to heavy snowfall." It's a matter of "not having the super expensive equipment paid for via tax dollars for the very occasional, or non existent heavy snowfall."

I've seen snow as far south as Florida and New Orleans but it's not typical at all. Generally speaking, the Deep South states - other than Appalachian areas - get just a dusting of snow each year. The Appalachian regions of SC, Alabama, and Georgia often receive more than that though.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:22 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, it's not a matter of "not being used to heavy snowfall." It's a matter of "not having the super expensive equipment paid for via tax dollars for the very occasional, or non existent heavy snowfall."
Yes, to an extent. I'd argue that lack of a snow removal budget (and equipment) is very due to those places not being used to heavy snowfall, which is understandable given the climate Obviously the states with highest snowfall totals are going to budget more of their money for snow removal as it's an essential service. But I notice differences even among states that receive a ton of snow. Maine is the best I've experienced - even small towns have heavy duty equipment and clear everything from primary roads to side streets. MA has heavy equipment for highways, state roads, and in the larger cities, but many municipalities rely on regular citizen "contractors" (here's an example of a posting for one) with plows on their private vehicles. It's an ideal scenario for communities where you know there will be a need for it a few times per winter, but maybe not enough to justify the investment in heavy machinery. When I lived in DC, snow was a bigger issue because there isn't the same need for equipment there. So while storms are fewer and farther between, 4 inches of snow is a bigger obstacle in DC than it is in Boston. In Maine, 4 inches is a non factor.

That said, there's far more to it than plowing, salting, and sanding roads. In climates where snow is common, that factors into how cars are chosen. That's why there are far more AWD vehicles on roads in the Northeast than the Southeast. And many cars (RWD, FWD, and AWD) have two sets of tires, including snow specific tires. It's a big part of the reason a few inches of un-plowed snow on a highway in New England won't cause mass abandonment of vehicles the same way it does in Atlanta. People in New England are used to heavy snowfall and prepped accordingly. People in Atlanta are not. It's not a knock, it's understandable. It's the same principal behind the news in New England covering a "heat wave" of 3 straight days of 90-95 degree temperatures. They'll tell people to keep their pets indoors, hydrate, etc. Sometimes they'll cancel schools. We're not used to it up here, many schools don't have AC, and we're not equipped to deal with it the same way the Southeast is.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:16 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Occasionally Savannah GA. Jacksonville once every ~10 years roughly.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:08 PM

994 posts, read 966,364 times
I've lived in upstate SC for 3 years and its snowed each year atleast twice , a few inches each time . The past winter I got over 10 inches in 1 snow (Landrum) . It tore the porch awning down , trees were down everywhere , without power for almost a week. Of course this is what my dad explained. I left for south FL a day or so before the storm came in and got back after the storm passed.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times
Lake City Florida is about it..........
You might see a few flakes a few miles south as Ocala sticking to the ground.....
Been there, n seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.