Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful natural setting?
Mexico City (DF) 3 3.61%
San Jose (Costa Rica) 0 0%
San Juan (PR) 3 3.61%
Seattle (WA) 26 31.33%
Vancouver (BC) 34 40.96%
Other 17 20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
This, a thousand times this. How can anyone in their right mind not consider sunshine/cloud cover as part of their analysis?

Newsflash: clouds uglify a place, no matter how gorgeous it is on a sunny day. When you've got clouds more often than not, it's going to undermine the natural scenery. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

Why do so many people in Seattle commit suicide during the winter? Hint: it's not because it's soooo gorgeous there. Lolzlolozlolzolol.
That is a bit harsh. Many in the Pacific Northwest are not bothered by the cloudiness in the winter. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Cloudy days can be beautiful with a different eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Why no San Francisco?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:11 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
This, a thousand times this. How can anyone in their right mind not consider sunshine/cloud cover as part of their analysis?

Newsflash: clouds uglify a place, no matter how gorgeous it is on a sunny day. When you've got clouds more often than not, it's going to undermine the natural scenery. Like it or not, it's a fact of life.

Why do so many people in Seattle commit suicide during the winter? Hint: it's not because it's soooo gorgeous there. Lolzlolozlolzolol.
Why are these areas growing so quickly? Turns out many people actually like our weather! It's a positive for some, and at least not a negative for others.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
Puerto Rico is not only part of North America, it's also part of the USA. Mexico is part of North America by any definition. I agree about Costa Rica, Central America and its North America credentials are weaker. All that being said I go with a tie between Seattle and Vancouver. Of the major cities they do have the nicest scenery IMO. If we include smaller metros then the competition gets tougher. Honolulu would likely win if we include smaller metros.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Puerto Rico is not only part of North America, it's also part of the USA. Mexico is part of North America by any definition. I agree about Costa Rica, Central America and its North America credentials are weaker. All that being said I go with a tie between Seattle and Vancouver. Of the major cities they do have the nicest scenery IMO. If we include smaller metros then the competition gets tougher. Honolulu would likely win if we include smaller metros.
I knew that about PR but lets like saying Guam or the Virgin Islands are North America. Mexico is typically grouped in central America and Latin America for cultural and historical reasons.
The north Americans are considered to be Americans and Canadians. I understand that there is a geographic and cultural definition but Mexico does not belong in N. America IMO.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
I knew that about PR but lets like saying Guam or the Virgin Islands are North America. Mexico is typically grouped in central America and Latin America for cultural and historical reasons.
The north Americans are considered to be Americans and Canadians. I understand that there is a geographic and cultural definition but Mexico does not belong in N. America IMO.
Vancouver is tops but for an inland "desert" setting, Las Cruces, New Mexico tops the list,
those spikey Organ Mtns, just east of Cruces are amazing, wouldn't you agree?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
I chose "other".

Why? Because I think Phoenix's natural environment is not only the most unique in the USA, but arguably the most beautiful. From purple mountains at dusk, to the raging sunsets, to the Saguaro-cacti studded mountains, I'm in Heaven here.

http://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview...8eeb22ed26.jpg

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
North American cities shouldn't include Mexican, Costa Rican or Puerto Rican cities! Sure they are not in South America but they are in Central or the Carribean
Central America and the Caribbean are part of North America.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
San Jose, CR is ugly and shouldn't put there. Costa Rica is pretty on the other hand.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
You shouldn't have skipped geography class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.