Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I agree, but I feel it depends on the city. Everyone I know that moved to New York is going to Manhattan or Brooklyn. No ones thinking about Bronx or Staten Island. Same with Charleston.

On the other hands my friends that have moved to Charlotte and DC are just going to Charlotte and the DMV. They're not necessarily picky about which part of town.
I guarantee your friends moving to DC are quite picky about the area they live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I guarantee your friends moving to DC are quite picky about the area they live in.
I guarantee you theyre not. No one has said "I must have Arlington", "must have Logan Circle", "must have Old Town." They're scattered all over the metro. While my friends who have moved to New York strategically zeroed in on Manhattan and Brooklyn and only cared about those 2.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:05 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I guarantee you theyre not. No one has said "I must have Arlington", "must have Logan Circle", "must have Old Town." They're scattered all over the metro. While my friends who have moved to New York strategically zeroed in on Manhattan and Brooklyn and only cared about those 2.
Do you think that this is due to what they know about each area? Meaning, perhaps they don't know about say SE Queens, parts of NE Bronx, parts of say Mount Vernon, Nyack, places in NJ like Montclair, Maplewood, parts of the Oranges, etc. in the NYC area in terms of what they may look for in a neighborhood/community.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-10-2017 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you think that this is due to what they know about each area? Meaning, perhaps they don't know about say SE Queens, parts of NE Bronx, parts of say Mount Vernon, Nyack, places in NJ like Montclair, Maplewood, parts of the Oranges, etc.
I think Manhattan and Brooklyn are just so attractive no matter what, plus most of the jobs are around there, that that's where they land. I'm a city geek yet even I don't know half of these places you named.

I visited a friend who lived in East Village. No way could I picture her purposely living in Bronx or Mount Vernon or any of those places. DC is originally where she wanted to go, and I know she would've been less picky had that worked out.

New Jersey is definitely not on the mind for anyone I know. It's NYC or nothing.

On the other hand I went to school with quite a few Upstate New Yorkers, New Jerseyans, and Connecticans (sic). My roommate was from Saratoga Springs, and they as well ran to Manhattan and Brooklyn, if they returned to NY and NJ.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
New Jersey is definitely not on the mind for anyone I know. It's NYC or nothing.
Hoboken and downtown Jersey City are pretty yuppie these days. I don't think they ever really went through a hip/cool period however.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I think Manhattan and Brooklyn are just so attractive no matter what, plus most of the jobs are around there, that that's where they land. I'm a city geek yet even I don't know half of these places you named.

I visited a friend who lived in East Village. No way could I picture her purposely living in Bronx or Mount Vernon or any of those places. DC is originally where she wanted to go, and I know she would've been less picky had that worked out.

On the other hand I went to school with quite a few Upstate New Yorkers, New Jerseyans, and Connecticans (sic). My roommate was from Saratoga Springs, and they as well ran to Manhattan and Brooklyn, if they returned to NY and NJ.

I'm not surprised, as it seems to be NYC or bust for some that stay in NY. Saratoga Springs, while not NYC expensive, is relatively expensive for upstate NY, but is very walkable and vibrant for a smaller "city".

I think it may be a matter of wanting a bigger city, but these neighborhoods near your roommate would probably work for those that don't mind a smaller, less popular city: Historic Center Square Neighborhood - Albany, NY

Delaware Area Neighborhood - Albany NY

Helderberg Neighborhood AssociationHome - Helderberg Neighborhood Association | Helderberg Neighborhood Association

Pine Hills Neighborhood, Albany, NY - Home
Pine Hills, New York - A Capital District Neighborhood in Downtown Albany NY

upperunionstreet.com • Home

Stockade Association | Committed to protecting, preserving and improving New York's first historic district.

DOWNTOWN TROY BID
https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/n...ort-finds.html

Troy Little Italy - Home
Little Italy

Old 08-10-2017, 02:06 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:

Well, don't some people say "I have to be in Chelsea or the Upper East Side?" Some people have these affinities for DC Neighborhoods like Dupont, Kalorama, etc.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not surprised, as it seems to be NYC or bust for some that stay in NY. Saratoga Springs, while not NYC expensive, is relatively expensive for upstate NY, but is very walkable and vibrant for a smaller "city". [...]
Thing is, nobody from here has a reason to go up to NY, NJ, or CT, unless its NYC. The higher COL, the cold weather, the older homes, etc. When you have emerging big and midsize cities here, it doesn't make sense to go up there. There's no new opportunity.

That's a big reason why it's NYC or bust. Biggest reason is the jobs, but then there's also the experience. Nothing in the south comes close to NYC living. At least Midwesterns have Chicago and Westerners have San Fran. NYC is "cool" to us because it's almost foreign. Rochester, Newark, Albany, Stamford, etc, not so much.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
There isn't necessarily more economic opportunity in Charlotte.
Generally speaking, yes there is. That's why it has a larger population and economy than the smaller Carolina metros.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Well, don't some people say "I have to be in Chelsea or the Upper East Side?" Some people have these affinities for DC Neighborhoods like Dupont, Kalorama, etc.
Okay, but not the people I know. When it comes to going out and hanging out, yeah they want to be in certain neighborhoods, but when it comes to living, they're not that picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.