Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Cities draw a wide variety of people because because they have diverse, booming economies. Cool is something entirely different.
Exactly, cool is something completely different, so why the hell are economies being brought up? That's not the cause of making your city open for various demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 12:00 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Exactly, cool is something completely different, so why the hell are economies being brought up? That's not the cause of making your city open for various demographics.
Ughh. You don't get it, do you? Cities like Dallas and Houston are appealing to every demographic because they offer JOBS to every demographic, not because they're cool.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Ughh. You don't get it, do you? Cities like Dallas and Houston are appealing to every demographic because they offer JOBS to every demographic, not because they're cool.
I never heard of anyone moving to Pittsburgh because it's "cool." Not to say that I don't think it is. It's just that I never heard of anyone moving there because of some cool reputation.

Having jobs that are appealing to every demographic can also impact a city's "make-up" and personality, so to speak. It can result in a city becoming "cooler."

Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I never heard of anyone moving to Pittsburgh because it's "cool." Not to say that I don't think it is. It's just that I never heard of anyone moving there because of some cool reputation.
Here in Pittsburgh, I've met tons of people from higher-cost areas who could have lived/worked in lots of places, but chose Pittsburgh because of its reputation. A guy a few houses down from my old place in Lawrenceville worked in tech, formerly lived in Seattle, and basically telecommuted from home. A lot of other transplants moved from Brooklyn, either finding local jobs, working online, or opening up small businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Having jobs that are appealing to every demographic can also impact a city's "make-up" and personality, so to speak. It can result in a city becoming "cooler."
No, it doesn't work that way. Generally when an area becomes "popular with everyone" it stops being cool. Witness how many formerly interesting and edgy neighborhoods and cities eventually become populated with generic yuppies/techbros.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here in Pittsburgh, I've met tons of people from higher-cost areas who could have lived/worked in lots of places, but chose Pittsburgh because of its reputation. A guy a few houses down from my old place in Lawrenceville worked in tech, formerly lived in Seattle, and basically telecommuted from home. A lot of other transplants moved from Brooklyn, either finding local jobs, working online, or opening up small businesses.

That's been happening in Texas and not just in Austin. Nor is it simply because of low COL.

No, it doesn't work that way. Generally when an area becomes "popular with everyone" it stops being cool. Witness how many formerly interesting and edgy neighborhoods and cities eventually become populated with generic yuppies/techbros.

Every city has edgy neighborhoods though. There's a few undergoing that change in Dallas, despite some "uncool" label the ignorant masses has given it.
Responses in bold.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:26 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
No, Dallas and Houston appeals to multiple demographics because they allow themselves to embrace the communities of several demographics. Pittsburgh doesn't do that, and that's why I can't see the city being "cool."

Old 08-09-2017, 01:27 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
No, Dallas and Houston appeals to multiple demographics because they allow themselves to embrace the communities of several demographics. Pittsburgh doesn't do that, and that's why I can't see the city being "cool."
You have zero, zip, zilch evidence for that statement.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
You can be in the "coolest" place in the world and if you're not it doesn't matter!
And just moving to a cool city doesn't make you cool either. But I've seen many who think so.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And just moving to a cool city doesn't make you cool either. But I've seen many who think so.
Let me guess.....Portland, Oregon?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
You have zero, zip, zilch evidence for that statement.
Its the single least diverse major metro area in the US. There is some evidence for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.