Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities will become popular for their affordability in the coming years?
Providence 6 8.22%
Albany 0 0%
Buffalo 3 4.11%
Richmond 14 19.18%
Greensboro 7 9.59%
Columbus OH 19 26.03%
Indianapolis 10 13.70%
Cincinnati 9 12.33%
St Louis 5 6.85%
Kansas City 8 10.96%
Milwaukee 3 4.11%
Oklahoma City 6 8.22%
Omaha 8 10.96%
Des Moines 6 8.22%
Birmingham 5 6.85%
Winston Salem 6 8.22%
Columbia SC 7 9.59%
Greenville-Spartanburg 14 19.18%
Knoxville 7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:57 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Is it booming like that? I mean there's only a few people who really about it on CD.
It definitely has some "boom" to it. A lot of nice hotels in downtown being built, redoing the convention center, and a bunch of other new projects happening right now.

I wouldn't consider it in the "booming" stage just yet, it's still an underrated city I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree I did "overlook" Grand Rapids but purposely left off Louisville because it's already booming and wouldn't expect for it in the future to maintain it's current low cost of living. The point was to identify cities not currently in "boom mode" and predict the next wave so to speak.
I imagine i'd have to understand your definition of booming, or if it's more of an impression. Louisville is definitely under going a construction boom. There hasn't been any concrete evidence to show that it has more investment happening than some of the other surging cities on your list (including the aforementioned one in this quoted post). It's also gaining population, but at a slower pace than several of the cities on this list and some that have been omitted. I do think it belongs on this list, I don't think it's above it.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM

192 posts, read 242,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I imagine i'd have to understand your definition of booming, or if it's more of an impression. Louisville is definitely under going a construction boom. There hasn't been any concrete evidence to show that it has more investment happening than some of the other surging cities on your list (including the aforementioned one in this quoted post). It's also gaining population, but at a slower pace than several of the cities on this list and some that have been omitted. I do think it belongs on this list, I don't think it's above it.
I agree with this. If Louisville is above this list, so are Columbus, Cincy, Indy, Richmond and maybe one or two others as those cities are either matching Louisville's improvement, or surpassing it.

I think this is a good list, with a few notable omissions. I don't think any of them are "booming" though. Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, etc are booming. None of these cities are booming on that level yet.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Greenville would probably be my #1 choice

Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Jax?

Jax is neither above or below this wide grouping of cities, and imo it's primary attraction (for individuals and companies as well) is the low COL/CODB.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Greenville's downtown is among the best on the list, and it is in a wonderful location.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Greenville's downtown is among the best on the list, and it is in a wonderful location.
Greenville gets a lot of mention on CD which is interesting to me because to be perfectly honest I'd never meet anyone from there, heard anyone outside of this forum mention it or even heard of it before period.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:39 AM

461 posts, read 861,429 times
I suppose both "booming" and "cheap" are relative terms.

But I think there are lots of contenders for this thread:

- Austin
- Boise
- Tampa
- Phoenix
- Houston
- Nashville
- OKC
- Orlando
- Denver
- Reno

Old 08-10-2017, 08:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I suppose both "booming" and "cheap" are relative terms.

But I think there are lots of contenders for this thread:

- Austin
- Boise
- Tampa
- Phoenix
- Houston
- Nashville
- OKC
- Orlando
- Denver
- Reno
Nashville is already booming, has been for a couple years now, also isn't on the "cheap" side as far as cost of living.

Reno I think is a major place that not many talk about. It's not booming (yet) at the moment, however Google, Tesla, and Apple have all bought land plots there and will be building soon. A lot of hipsters will be there before long.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:50 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Richmond, VA. I believe that as DC gets more and more expensive, more people will start to look towards Richmond as a more affordable option. Richmond has the bones of a larger city, the fortune 500s, decent outdoor recreation and is working on bettering its public transportation. I think that it is putting itself in a decent position for the future.
Interesting, although what makes you think people would pick Richmond over Baltimore? Richmond is too far from DC to be a practical commute.

I guess I'm thinking the things that drive the DC economy are pretty related to the government and different to Richmond as I understand it. Are you expecting more low wage economic refugees who are being gentrified out? Families where a commute to DC is only necessary a couple times a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.