Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times

Advertisements

In the Western portion of the Midwest(west of the Mississippi) there seems to exist a corridor of high growth, succesful urban areas. Sorta like the sunbelt but in the Midwest.

These cities would be- Minneapolis/Twin Cities, Kansas City, Omaha, Madison, Des Moines, Rochester, Cedar Rapids, Lincoln, Iowa City, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and Ames.

These cities all have (relatively) high population growth with growing suburbs and cores. They have revitalized downtowns with many renovations and new construction. All of these areas have at one time or another been known as boring or dull cities, but in recent years have been redefined as desirable or "cool" areas now. Along with population growth, these cities have grown much more diverse in recent years.

Do you agree with the idea(is it actually a corridor/region) of this "corridor"? And what are your thoughts on it?

Last edited by Northeasterner1970; 08-10-2017 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Extremely low unemployment is a factor in the surprising growth of the West North Central region.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
I grew up near Rochester and I now live in the Twin Cities.

The biggest difference between this region and the Eastern Midwest is that these communities were never decimated by the manufacturing implosion like Rust Belt Cities. They've all built relatively modern employment bass (education, medical, finance, tech). Lots of rural areas around that funnel kids into the cities for college and career.

Most small town kids (like me) that go to college migrate to a larger population center regionally around here. So there's an influx of educated workers who are likely to put down roots in their new city because their families live close. I see it all the time - half my neighbors have extended family in the rural areas and they intend to stay in the Twin Cities at least till they retire.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that is a corridor or region (and Madison is obviously well east of the Mississippi). The driver of growth seems to be different depending on whether it's energy related (ND/SD), college town related (Madison, Ames, but then you could throw in a smattering of college towns in IL, MI, OH, and IN for that matter), or simply urban expansion (Mpls/KC). Because I don't believe the growth pattern is homogeneous, I'm hesitant to call it a region/corridor.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
You are describing the "Grain Belt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.