Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 PM

555 posts, read 500,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
This is a curiosity i have. The US is a melting pot of cultures, but are we loosing our identity? Is there a city that you would say it is loosing its roots because of this "explosion" of new cultures ?
To answer the question, I think Raleigh, NC and much of its close surrounding areas have lost their identity to a large extent, especially compared to 20 or 30+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I hope people don't get offended and we have an educated conversation.
Typically, you don't have to try to offend someone on these boards... they'll find a reason to be.

These kinds of questions, regardless of innocent intent, will bring out the political cheerleaders and the NIMBYs.

I just say that because of what I habitually see here.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
To answer the question, I think Raleigh, NC and much of its close surrounding areas have lost their identity to a large extent, especially compared to 20 or 30+ years ago.
Didn't realize Raleigh had an identity.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:32 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Dearborn, MI

Old 08-12-2017, 02:28 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Cities are losing identity because they have become generic urban yupster clones. All the residents are all people who grew up in generic burbs and brought their generic tastes to the city.

SF, Boston, Seattle, North Side Chicago, even parts of DC. They all have the same generic Chipotle/Kale smoothie vibe.

If not for the immigrants, LA and NYC would be toast.
Boston is 30% immigrants. Its just the downtown and college area that have that vide. You could essentially say the 'North Side of Boston' most of the cities/towns/neighborhoods surrounding the core of downtown boston are very Bostony in their feel. Blue collar diverse and many localism youd only find in New England. Seattle and San Fran are definitely different.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:29 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Losing an identity? Perhaps they are just evolving? I'm sure some of these cities "Losing" identities" will feel different during another cycle and would be "Losing" another identity at that time.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Cities are losing identity because they have become generic urban yupster clones. All the residents are all people who grew up in generic burbs and brought their generic tastes to the city.

SF, Boston, Seattle, North Side Chicago, even parts of DC. They all have the same generic Chipotle/Kale smoothie vibe.

If not for the immigrants, LA and NYC would be toast.
I agree and would add Portland, OR to your list based on my many years of experience living there. It has lost its former unique qualities. It's like all the others you mentioned, carbon copies of one another.

But that what people want today and it's their turn so that's the way it is.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,025 times
Atlanta. Before when you stepped foot in Atlanta, you felt like you were in the south. now with so many transplants, it doesn't feel that way anymore. At least with New york, you still feel like you're in New york.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 PM

61 posts, read 62,021 times
So many transplants everywhere. Most cities have a case.

In the Northeast, my candidates would be DC and Boston. Finding actual natives there is a pain in the ass compared to Philly and NYC, but the latter are much larger cities.

Ditto SF. That's probably the worst offender.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Come to MY Metro Atlanta neighborhood and you will KNOW that you are in the South (I am southside suburbs Clayton County "Land of Gone with the Wind". Not everywhere in the Metro is the North Atlanta Suburbs. (No offense meant to North Fulton, North Dekalb, or Cobb and Gwinnett Counties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.