Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,377,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree and would add Portland, OR to your list based on my many years of experience living there. It has lost its former unique qualities. It's like all the others you mentioned, carbon copies of one another.

But that what people want today and it's their turn so that's the way it is.
I definitely agree about Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 05:58 PM

827 posts, read 681,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
This is a curiosity i have. The US is a melting pot of cultures, but are we loosing our identity? Is there a city that you would say it is loosing its roots because of this "explosion" of new cultures ?
San Francisco is like a completely new city thanks to Silicon Valley types moving in and pushing the eclectic liberal artsy types out.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyinmiami View Post
I'm nearly 36 and I've noticed (as well as family and friends of mine, ages 30 and up) that regional dialects (accents) are disappearing. It's really a Sad thing to be a witness to, as everyone is starting to sound the same (you know, Valley Girl mixed with Vocal Fry and upspeak, uptalk, leaves the speaker sounding so unsure of themselves or what they're saying)..., I know some 20 somethings (in my family) that grew up in Queens, Brooklyn or Long Island thier entire lives and they sure don't sound like it. I poke fun at them and they poke right back telling me I sound like Popeye. But, seriously ..., really, really sad.
I live in New York...hardly anyone around here sounds like Paulie Walnuts. There is a New York accent still, but it's not some super heavy mafioso sounding accent.

I bet that even if you watched a video of 70s New York, most people wouldn't have a particular thick accent.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think all major cities have to a degree. The demographic shifts are one contributor, but the biggest contributor is the large amount of yuppies moving into major cities (myself included). Cities and neighborhoods are now being designed to attract young professionals. Back in the day there weren't nearly as many college grads and young professionals living in the city.

My friend who grew up in NYC, always says "New York isn't New York anymore." I think a lot of the older cities like NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago- have lost some of their identities at least to some degree.
That's kinda silly in my opinion. Of course it has changed a lot, as has almost every other city, but it's still very much New York.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,888 times
My city is starting to grow and diversify but still maintains its very strong Cajun roots. It has certainly been diluted somewhat but a source of local pride is our Louisiana born stores and restaurants. Even some chains like Rouses are distinctly Louisianian.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:59 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Austin....

Old 09-01-2017, 12:00 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
"Hey Man, I'm from City, the best city in the country. Your city is lame compared to City!"

"Oh, wow. Cool. So, were you born in City?"

"No... I was actually born in Town near lame city. :-( "

Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,840 times
Regional and civic identity was stronger in the past when communities were much more isolated. In there isolation cities and towns would develop there own accents, regional cuisine, architecture and music. With the internet and mass communication it takes no time for an idea or concept to spread the planet. The problem we have now is if you try to be unique it often comes across as forced and therefore pretentious and shallow. A unique civic identity needs to happen unintentionally and organically.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:58 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,226,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I think all major cities have to a degree. The demographic shifts are one contributor, but the biggest contributor is the large amount of yuppies moving into major cities (myself included). Cities and neighborhoods are now being designed to attract young professionals. Back in the day there weren't nearly as many college grads and young professionals living in the city.

My friend who grew up in NYC, always says "New York isn't New York anymore." I think a lot of the older cities like NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago- have lost some of their identities at least to some degree.
What has hurt cities like NY, SF, Boston, and Chicago more then the yuppies moving in is the working class moving out. Poor and working class people are the creators of most of the original art, food, and music.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

760 posts, read 874,924 times
The majority of Millennials grew up in the privileged, culturally sheltered, generic, white suburbs. As these millennials start moving into the cities because they are "cool" now, they end up turning these once unique cities into the generic, cookie cutter suburbs that they all were desperate to flee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.