Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Land area or total area?
Land area 5 35.71%
Total area 2 14.29%
It's murky 7 50.00%
No preference 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times

Advertisements

When describing how geographically large a state is, do you prefer to use land area or total area? Most states' size ranking lines up with both, but there are quite a few where there is a dramatic difference between the two, and enough to knock them up or down quite a few spots.

For example, Michigan is the 11th largest state by total area, but only the 22nd largest by land area. Water is a fundamental part of Michigan's identity, being bounded by four of the five Great Lakes. But is it "fair" to say it's larger than nearby Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 02:08 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I would say its murky, if the water is intrusive like RI for example, where many towns are across Narragansett bay or connected estuaries from each other it really makes the state feel bigger because you have to drive extra distances to get places. Same with Maryland which the Chesapeake Bay nearly bisects the state. Places with large coastlines but mostly external water like Connecticut or California since there is nothing across the water generally speaking it doesn't act in a way to "expand" the state.

So if the land mass of the state has water in it then total area is appropriate but if the water is adjacent to the state then I think Land area is more accurate.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM

603 posts, read 930,864 times
I prefer land area but understand it is a more difficult matter than a clear black or white answer. I believe land only is used when determining density numbers but when measuring size, total area (including water) is used.

Related trivia: The US is actually larger than Canada when measuring only land area.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM

136 posts, read 141,351 times
definitely total area. That is how these things are usually defined.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I prefer land area but understand it is a more difficult matter than a clear black or white answer. I believe land only is used when determining density numbers but when measuring size, total area (including water) is used.

Related trivia: The US is actually larger than Canada when measuring only land area.
Wow, did not know that.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Depends. If the water bodies are mostly contained like ponds, lakes, bays, or otherwise insinuous (like rivers, estuaries, or other narrow channels) then I would include them, and they usually do not make a huge impact except in certain areas, but if the boundary is over a portion of ocean or inland sea, such as the Great Lakes it is a bit of a reach in my opinion.

I think the difference is that huge areas of open water are not habitable or otherwise open to typical human activity (except fishing and transportation, so the figure is misleading.

I mean two countries with a similar total area of 100,000 sq. mi. would give a very different impression if you knew that one was landlocked, while the other was a thin coastal strip, 10 miles wide and 50 miles long with an immense water boundary.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Depends. If the water bodies are mostly contained like ponds, lakes, bays, or otherwise insinuous (like rivers, estuaries, or other narrow channels) then I would include them, and they usually do not make a huge impact except in certain areas, but if the boundary is over a portion of ocean or inland sea, such as the Great Lakes it is a bit of a reach in my opinion.

I think the difference is that huge areas of open water are not habitable or otherwise open to typical human activity (except fishing and transportation, so the figure is misleading.

I mean two countries with a similar total area of 100,000 sq. mi. would give a very different impression if you knew that one was landlocked, while the other was a thin coastal strip, 10 miles wide and 50 miles long with an immense water boundary.
I see. So based on your post, do you feel that Florida (moves up 4 spots in total area) overreaches in its total area definition? While Idaho (moves up 3 spots in total area) would not be?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I would agree with this. Rivers, ponds and smaller lakes are more part of the immediate landscape and are surrounded by the land area where they sit.

Including some strip of ocean or great lakes coastal area would be pushing it a bit. Like you said if you have a strip of water 10 miles out and hundreds of miles long that is included in the legal boundary of your state - you're including a lot of "area" that's just open ocean. By most people's common sense "Florida" for them ends at the ocean's coast or areas just offshore, not at some arbitrary point way out in the distance.

Michigan has 40,000 square miles of water because its legal boundary extends out into the middle of the lakes. For general purposes though the state "ends" at the water's edge.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Land area by far. Michigan is NOT 96,716 square miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.