Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times

Advertisements

There are a **** ton of Eastern Europeans in Cleveland. Parts of New York City are highly populated with Russians. As for why they aren't represented in pop culture who knows.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
I love Kolaches! Everyone in Texas knows it's a Czech ethnic item that has become part of Texas' mainstream breakfast cuisine along with breakfast tacos and huevos rancheros. There is still a sizable Czech-American community between Houston and San Antonio/Austin.

The Czech Stop is a famous gas station in West, Texas (not a typo with the comma--an actual town between Waco and Dallas!) selling Kolaches and other Czech baked goods by the roadside 24 hours/day. I accidentally found out about this place 10 years ago (before the smartphone) when my Aunt needed to use a gas station restroom.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
There are a **** ton of Eastern Europeans in Cleveland. Parts of New York City are highly populated with Russians. As for why they aren't represented in pop culture who knows.
They always seem to make the Russians the bad guys in Bond movies

Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
They always seem to make the Russians the bad guys in Bond movies
That has more to do with the Cold War rather than Russian imigramts, German nazis and Russians are the most popular villains because they were our biggest enemies, in a decade or two all the villains will be Muslim extremists.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
The Wire did focus on the Polish American community in Baltimore in Season 2. Some sections of the Baltimore area do have a a large Polish American population. The Russian Mafia appears in many movies! There are not major organized crime groups in Eastern Europe besides the Russian mafia.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
"Stellaaa!!!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kowalski

Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Although Eastern Europeans gentiles may be in short shrift in pop culture, in real life they are quite noticeable in many Midwestern and Northeastern cities. Chicago and Milwaukee have the Poles, Pittsburgh its Hungarians, New York its Albanians, Greeks, Ukranians, and Russian Orthodox. And I've heard that Baltimore still has a Lithuanian community.

Some smaller cities across the U.S. may also have particularly large Eastern European populations, but because those cities are small, they are not on most people's radar.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Yeah - there's plenty of Eastern European representation in the Detroit area.

Granted there's not much representation in pop culture, but one movie is "Polish Wedding", set in Hamtramck.

Polish Wedding (1998) - IMDb

Old 08-15-2017, 11:37 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I think the answer is pretty simple -- there just aren't enough of them. I've known tons of Irish-Americans, tons of Italian-Americans. How many people of Eastern European descent have I known? Excluding Jews, a bunch of Polish-Americans, and after that ... I can think of one guy of Czech descent, one guy of Lithuanian descent who I haven't seen for 20 years, one guy of Russian descent who I haven't seen for 10 years. And I've lived in New York and Chicago. There just aren't that many.
The problem is, a lot of Eastern Europeans change their names to sound more American, so you wouldn't know their descent unless you specifically ask. One of my Russian friends changed her name to "Turner" recently. She did it so that her last name sounds more American on her law firm name.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Although Eastern Europeans gentiles may be in short shrift in pop culture, in real life they are quite noticeable in many Midwestern and Northeastern cities. Chicago and Milwaukee have the Poles, Pittsburgh its Hungarians, New York its Albanians, Greeks, Ukranians, and Russian Orthodox. And I've heard that Baltimore still has a Lithuanian community.

Some smaller cities across the U.S. may also have particularly large Eastern European populations, but because those cities are small, they are not on most people's radar.
Chicago and Milwaukee have a fair number of Serbians. When I lived in Milwaukee, there were a lot of fairly wealthy Serbians on Milwaukee's east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.