Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times

Advertisements

Reno, NV proper rarely has mosquitoes. Washoe Valley to the south probably has them since they have a shallow fresh water lake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I haven't had a mosquito bite in years in Seattle. Not sure if that's just living in the urban core though.
I've lived just outside of Seattle for 25ish years and rarely dealt with mosquito bites. Now if I went out in the boonies or the country, there were definitely some mosquitoes. Still wasn't as bad as here in Middle TN.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Mosquito's tend to be in warm humid areas, and Seattle is humid most of the year, but mostly during the winter. So usually not a problem in the area. However, they can be pesky near the lakes during the summer. A greater concern might be stepping on a slug in the winter!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Both New Mexico and Arizona's larger cities have mosquitoes as it's not about the climate rather altitude and/or lack of standing water. You might check out the Boulder-Longmont CO area which while expensive in Boulder itself (a good bit less so in Longmont) has affordable suburban towns like Louisville, Lafayette, Niwot and Superior which all have generally a progressive population and thriving economies. All sit at elevations of 5000 feet or higher and it's pretty rare from my experiences to see any mosquito activity there.
Louisville is affordable? Lafayette just had its first million dollar house sold. Maybe Loveland or Greely, but those towns? Superior? No.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Chicago. Never got a bite in the city, nor even saw one that I could recall. The suburbs and forested areas had a lot, though.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Count DC out. Mosquitoes are crazy out here in the Summer.
Baltimore and New Orleans too.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:10 PM
S&J

1 posts, read 1,290 times
From a person who is allergic to mosquitoes and has deeply thought about this topic: Las Vegas (my current residence)

Very little mosquitoes: I have never seen, let alone been bit by, a mosquito in Vegas (thanks to near zero rain in summer)
Culture: Yes (heavy on entertainment options, plus two professional sports teams)
City life: Yes (2 million people in surrounding area)
Low cost of living: Relatively speaking, quite reasonable (low property tax and no income tax too)
People are open minded: Certainly (people here are from all walks of life and backgrounds)

You get used to the heat (with no humidity) in the summer; plus, 8 months out of the year, the weather is beautiful (no other big city gets more sunshine) and temperate.

Phoenix is another option, but they may get a few mosquitoes due to occasional monsoonal rains in the summer.

Last edited by S&J; 04-18-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
If you need absolutely no mosquitoes at all, that will probably be impossible to guarantee. I can say, however, that I hardly ever see mosquitoes here in Albuquerque. I go months and months without seeing a mosquito, maybe even years. Granted, I don't spend a lot of time outside. But when I was back in Philadelphia I saw them inside, more often than I would like.

If you live close to the Rio Grande, your chance of seeing them would go up somewhat, I think. But I used to live downtown, which is not even that far from the river, and I nevertheless hardly ever saw them there. So it's not as though you would have to live a great distance from the river. Just don't live extremely close to it.

I assume you would find something similar in other parts of the Southwest.

Edit: I wouldn't say the economy is thriving here, however. It's just doing okay. I responded too quickly.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 PM

83 posts, read 71,176 times
What is "with Culture" supposed to mean? There's not much difference in that regard wherever you go in the US.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 AM

383 posts, read 634,253 times
This thread was started last year while I lived in Florida.
I have since moved to Phoenix, and mosquitoes do exist, but nothing close to living in the Tampa Bay Area. There, I couldn't go out past dusk because I would be attacked.
I have been in Phoenix for a year and love it here.
What I meant by culture, is theatre, museums, concerts, etc which Phoenix has a lot of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.