Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM

30 posts, read 52,857 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to somewhere in the greater area of Appalachia/the Ozarks to buy property. I'm mostly looking for privacy and seclusion, in a wooded area with hills. I'd also like to be within 30-40 minutes of a town of ~10k. A pond would be nice (or potential for one), but that's secondary to my other wishes.

I'm looking for 20-40 acres, and I'm curious which state might be the best to do this cheaply. $100k is the max on my budget for the land itself, and I'd like to get as much land as possible for that.

States I've been considering so far are Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and Northern Arkansas, but I'm open to anything that meets my wishlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Northern and western New York state has cheap land, not only in its 14 Federally designated Appalachian counties, and it's tough to be more than an hour from Walmart in these regions. Many ponds. The property taxes are high relative to its value, though.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
I'm looking to relocate to somewhere in the greater area of Appalachia/the Ozarks to buy property. I'm mostly looking for privacy and seclusion, in a wooded area with hills. I'd also like to be within 30-40 minutes of a town of ~10k. A pond would be nice (or potential for one), but that's secondary to my other wishes.

I'm looking for 20-40 acres, and I'm curious which state might be the best to do this cheaply. $100k is the max on my budget for the land itself, and I'd like to get as much land as possible for that.

States I've been considering so far are Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and Northern Arkansas, but I'm open to anything that meets my wishlist.
The area surrounding West Plains, Missouri sounds like it may be a fit. Your money will go farther in the Ozarks than it will in many areas of the Appalachians, with a few exceptions.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:47 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Missouri would be my top recommendation. Not remotely perfect, but it's generally a more well-run state.
West Plains is fine. Springfied/Joplin are both good towns, but acreage is pricier the closer to Springfield you get.
Kentucky-Tennessee are interchangeable at #2 , but I personally wouldn't live in either one. Missouri I could do.

3. Arkansas.

Last edited by sub; 08-23-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Western New York looks beautiful but I should have mentioned I'm trying to avoid too much snowfall. Also the property taxes are a bit high.

Looks like Missouri may be the best area for me. Where is the cheapest land in the state?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:12 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Western New York looks beautiful but I should have mentioned I'm trying to avoid too much snowfall. Also the property taxes are a bit high.

Looks like Missouri may be the best area for me. Where is the cheapest land in the state?
Probably in the Ozarks. Land is dirt cheap in much of the region. It may go up a slight amount near West Plains (not sure though) but it should still be very cheap. You may need raised beds if you want to grow your own food though

Northern Arkansas & far Eastern Oklahoma may work as well. You have the Boston Mountains there which are hillier than the Ozarks. The St. Francois mountains in Missouri may be another option, but I would imagine land is a bit more expensive there.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:

Where ever the soil is poor, the ground isn't flat, and you're not on a lake.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 AM

Is there a map or something I could find which indicates soil quality on a large scale?

I'm not really interested in growing outside of maybe raised beds and the hillier and steeper the better. Sounds like maybe Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri might be best for that?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Draw and X over a map of the whole state and look for a place in the bottom triangle.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Draw and X over a map of the whole state and look for a place in the bottom triangle.
Thanks, I'll look into that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.