Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 PM

17 posts, read 29,378 times

Advertisements

First, I'd like to start off with a disclaimer. This is not going to be like all of the posts before. I'm well informed on both, been to both dozens of times and even lived in both. That's why at this point, I'm deadlocked on which area to go to. The choices are as follow.

Texas (Surrounding areas to Dallas, Fort Worth or Plano)
South Carolina (Charleston vs Columbia)

Criteria that I'm looking for as is follows. I appreciate any input you can provide on these areas. These are ordered in my personal importance of the topic as well.

Employment wise, I am self employed but in a very... volatile industry in which I will be looking to do a career change before I reach my 30th birthday. Which would be an ideal location for a confused almost thirty year old that's single with no kids that has no idea what he wants to do when he grows up?

About that single topic. I'll be coming from Pennsylvania which unfortunately isn't all that active with potential females that are worth my time. Most of what I'd be interested in pretty much left with their degree to different locations. Which would be a potentially ideal location? (Please do not recommend Austin or Greenville as I've already ruled those areas out).

I'm an outdoorsy adrenaline junky that enjoys living life to the fullest while maintaining a diverse pallet of things to do both solo and with others. Who wins?

About that adrenaline junky aspect. I also like to drive and ride motorcycles. Its a fantastic stress relief, at least when I'm not trying to avoid potholes or thoroughly messed up roads. What's the story in regards to maintaining of the roads year round?

Cost of living will be something I'm looking at. At first, I intend on a one bed and one bath place, unless I can find a decent house to rent as I don't particularly enjoy dealing with loud neighbors.

Economically I'm pretty sure the DFW area wins this debate, but how steady is the economy and what are the primary generators of the economy? I understand tourism drives quite a bit in SC.

Guns. I love guns and they've been a wonderful hobby of mine for about a decade and a half. How's the second amendment in both regions?

Once I become stable and I enjoy the area (whichever I choose) I'm going to want to buy a house with some land. Not going to be too keen on getting slaughtered with property taxes or inflated housing prices. Best areas for that criteria in surrounding areas?

Now before some of you get heated regarding my questions, I'll reiterate my disclaimer. I've already done extensive research (as of 2017) on these two target states. I'm intelligent enough to realize that what's pumped out through the media (such as state rankings) can be vastly different than first hand experience. I also understand that people have varying opinions on locations and how they feel about them. I hope to compile this information to make my decision based on the middle ground from the responses.

Thank you all in advance for your future responses. Sorry for the paragraphs, but as you can tell this has been a topic that I have put a lot of time into researching and figuring out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 AM

101 posts, read 91,601 times
Texas!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Well there's one for Texas, though you didn't provide any additional details as to why I should choose Texas lol.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM

11,069 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Chris Lenga - It sounds like you've done more research into this particular comparison than any of us would do. You ought to visit both states, see them up close, and then make your decision.

I did a lot of research into my big relocation in 2012. The comments I got online - even this very forum - actually ended up skewing my opinion and ultimately worked against me (steering me away from my initial plans). My recommendation is to stick with your own research, as well as seeing places in person, and not put in too much from here. You know yourself better than any of us. We're all different and will end up inputting our own backgrounds, preferences, and biases, no matter how hard we try not to. Good luck though.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:33 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Sounds like a total draw to me; you can find what you want in either, and in abundance. I simply don't see a "wrong" choice here.
Bottom line is, if you're ultimately drawn to a large, cosmopolitan city...Texas.
If your passion for biking trumps all and you desire access to scenic mountain and seaside venues...South Carolina.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
Come here to Charleston bro you won't regret it. Hottest and nicest women in the country IMO(TONS of wifeable single women), an economy that is growing like CRAZY people will be begging you to work for them, some of the nicest/cleanest beaches in the country, mountains a drivable distance away, afforable, a large biking community, lot of gun loving conservatives and libertarians like yourself. PM me if you have any other questions but it sounds like you already did a bunch of research.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
I'm bias with South Carolina, but I visited DFW earlier this month, and I didn't like it. Like really didn't. I would take Charleston over Dallas and Fort Worth.

I don't know what youre employed in, but regardless, Texas will obviously have more jobs and options. I can't give you Dallas outdoor recommendations, but Charleston has the ocean, 4 large rivers, many parks, national forest, and a lake. You can get to the mountains in 4 hours. There's always an outdoor festival or event going on.

I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle in either place, but Dallas is more of concrete jungle with giant freeways everywhere and wide open boulevards. You can take that as negative or positive. Charleston's roads are fine condition wise, but the layout can be confusing, weird intersections, and roads are narrower.

COL in Charleston and Dallas are both going up, but neither is "up there." SC and TX are both cheap states. SC has an income tax unlike TX, but SC's property tax rate is #46 on the rate scale, compared to Texas high at #6.

SC's main economy is tourism, manufacturing, medical, aerospace, trade, education, and finance. Contrary to popular belief that we're one giant pasture, there's quite a bit of white collar, professional, well paying jobs in SC. Like Texas, SC receives a lot of foreign investment.

The singles scene is likely better than Pennsylvania. Charleston was voted #1 in "most attractive people." I can't tell you Texas' gun laws, but SC is not "gun happy." There is gun freedom, but we are not "yee haw bang bang!."

I prefer Charleston over Columbia, but Columbia is on the up. Good job and housing market, more affordable, centrally located, youngest population in SC, stays busy especially during SEC season, and has some of SC's best suburbs for when you're ready to settle down and buy a bigger house.

Best thing to do is visit and try to get a feel for both areas. I had Dallas on my relocation list and was submitting applications because of the "everyone's moving there, so many jobs, Texas is exploding!", but after seeing it in person, no thanks. But that's just me. I know some people will come to Charleston after seeing all the #1 rankings and say the same thing. Highly recommend a visit. You can only get so much from the internet.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Chris Lenga - It sounds like you've done more research into this particular comparison than any of us would do. You ought to visit both states, see them up close, and then make your decision.

I did a lot of research into my big relocation in 2012. The comments I got online - even this very forum - actually ended up skewing my opinion and ultimately worked against me (steering me away from my initial plans). My recommendation is to stick with your own research, as well as seeing places in person, and not put in too much from here. You know yourself better than any of us. We're all different and will end up inputting our own backgrounds, preferences, and biases, no matter how hard we try not to. Good luck though.
Oh I've been to both more times than I can count. Luckily that's what has made this such a toss up between locations and as mentioned in one of the responses, a complete draw between both. I do like the fact Charleston has the beach and ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Come here to Charleston bro you won't regret it. Hottest and nicest women in the country IMO(TONS of wifeable single women), an economy that is growing like CRAZY people will be begging you to work for them, some of the nicest/cleanest beaches in the country, mountains a drivable distance away, afforable, a large biking community, lot of gun loving conservatives and libertarians like yourself. PM me if you have any other questions but it sounds like you already did a bunch of research.
Oh I love Charleston. I was just chillin in Isle of Palms Monday during the eclipse. Granted, the place was jam packed with a bunch of tourists (including me) but it was still enjoyable. About one of the only places in the country I've actually encountered people that regularly wave to you and make a point to talk to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'm bias with South Carolina, but I visited DFW earlier this month, and I didn't like it. Like really didn't. I would take Charleston over Dallas and Fort Worth.

I don't know what youre employed in, but regardless, Texas will obviously have more jobs and options. I can't give you Dallas outdoor recommendations, but Charleston has the ocean, 4 large rivers, many parks, national forest, and a lake. You can get to the mountains in 4 hours. There's always an outdoor festival or event going on.

I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle in either place, but Dallas is more of concrete jungle with giant freeways everywhere and wide open boulevards. You can take that as negative or positive. Charleston's roads are fine condition wise, but the layout can be confusing, weird intersections, and roads are narrower.

COL in Charleston and Dallas are both going up, but neither is "up there." SC and TX are both cheap states. SC has an income tax unlike TX, but SC's property tax rate is #46 on the rate scale, compared to Texas high at #6.

SC's main economy is tourism, manufacturing, medical, aerospace, trade, education, and finance. Contrary to popular belief that we're one giant pasture, there's quite a bit of white collar, professional, well paying jobs in SC. Like Texas, SC receives a lot of foreign investment.

The singles scene is likely better than Pennsylvania. Charleston was voted #1 in "most attractive people." I can't tell you Texas' gun laws, but SC is not "gun happy." There is gun freedom, but we are not "yee haw bang bang!."

I prefer Charleston over Columbia, but Columbia is on the up. Good job and housing market, more affordable, centrally located, youngest population in SC, stays busy especially during SEC season, and has some of SC's best suburbs for when you're ready to settle down and buy a bigger house.

Best thing to do is visit and try to get a feel for both areas. I had Dallas on my relocation list and was submitting applications because of the "everyone's moving there, so many jobs, Texas is exploding!", but after seeing it in person, no thanks. But that's just me. I know some people will come to Charleston after seeing all the #1 rankings and say the same thing. Highly recommend a visit. You can only get so much from the internet.

Good luck.
I can definitely agree with the confusing layout. I was down there Monday and while the design (driving wise) was rather pleasing with my obsessive compulsive tendencies, I definitely found it a bit nuts. Definitely an area where certain sections you shouldn't rely on a GPS. Gun laws are definitely much better in Texas than SC, which actually for me is a bit of a turn off. In fact with my current permit in Pennsylvania, its the only state down that way where I can't 'legally' conceal with my permit here.

Nonetheless, Charleston did score some really big points with me this past trip. I've been to Charleston perhaps I don't even know, thirty times? I have friends up in Columbia (Elgin area) and then Greenville. I think for me, it really boils down to lack of flexibility when it comes to jobs and the impending career change that I'm going to be unfortunately looking into, which is more IT aligned.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lenga View Post
Oh I love Charleston. I was just chillin in Isle of Palms Monday during the eclipse. Granted, the place was jam packed with a bunch of tourists (including me) but it was still enjoyable. About one of the only places in the country I've actually encountered people that regularly wave to you and make a point to talk to you.

I can definitely agree with the confusing layout. I was down there Monday and while the design (driving wise) was rather pleasing with my obsessive compulsive tendencies, I definitely found it a bit nuts. Definitely an area where certain sections you shouldn't rely on a GPS. Gun laws are definitely much better in Texas than SC, which actually for me is a bit of a turn off. In fact with my current permit in Pennsylvania, its the only state down that way where I can't 'legally' conceal with my permit here.

Nonetheless, Charleston did score some really big points with me this past trip. I've been to Charleston perhaps I don't even know, thirty times? I have friends up in Columbia (Elgin area) and then Greenville. I think for me, it really boils down to lack of flexibility when it comes to jobs and the impending career change that I'm going to be unfortunately looking into, which is more IT aligned.
Glad you enjoyed your visits. I'd refute though and say GPS is pretty reliable if you don't live there. Another problem with Charleston is poor signage in many areas that goes along with those weird intersections.

Charleston isn't a huge tech force yet, but its growing swiftly. Charleston has been nicknamed "Silicon Harbor." I don't know anyone who has been dying to leave SC, but apparently people are dying to move here. SC is a fine place to be with 3 main cities that each offer something different. I'm turned off by North Texas, but I wouldn't write it off. More people live in DFW than in SC, so it's bound to offer a lot. Visit DFW if you haven't and see how you feel.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lenga View Post
Gun laws are definitely much better in Texas than SC, which actually for me is a bit of a turn off. In fact with my current permit in Pennsylvania, its the only state down that way where I can't 'legally' conceal with my permit here.
It's still one of the most gun friendly states in the country though, it's EASY to get a permit. The gun laws in SC are not terribly different than Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...South_Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.