Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you still live in the area where you grew up?
Still live in hometown 26 18.84%
Moved away, but still live within two hours of hometown 23 16.67%
Moved away and haven't looked back 61 44.20%
Moved away and then returned. Currently live within two hours of alma matter 28 20.29%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's cliché because I do hate where I grew up? Thanks for allowing me my opinion .
Sorry, I should have used different words.

I've listened to people that I grew up around do nothing but whine & complain about this & it gets old as hell after awhile, but yet they won't move away to wherever they think the greener pastures are. These are the people will not be happy no matter where they live. Not everyone that doesn't like where they grew up is like this but those are the people I had in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 02:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
no, but I use to

Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM

403 posts, read 462,494 times
Define hometown. I spent my childhood in Washington DC but most of my life in Houston and my college years in San Antonio. Loved all three cities.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

I've listened to people that I grew up around do nothing but whine & complain about this & it gets old as hell after awhile, but yet they won't move away to wherever they think the greener pastures are. These are the people will not be happy no matter where they live. Not everyone that doesn't like where they grew up is like this but those are the people I had in mind.
I agree with you there. I have family members who do this. Ironically one did move away and it completely changed his life. He was more active, healthy, dressed well, enjoyed his job, everything was better. But alas, he started talking to a girl from high school and moved back and now he's miserable again but refuses to change anything. He could do all the things he did when he moved away but he doesn't. He just *******.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

It gets a lot harder to move after you start to get even a little bit established. The easiest time to move is right when you graduate college or during young adulthood. Once you get a career, relationship, or family established and after you've taken on significant debt, the idea of packing up and moving, while it seems appealing, its much less practical.

Last edited by bawac34618; 08-29-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It gets a lot harder to move after you start to get even a little bit established. The easiest time to move is right when you graduate college or during young adulthood. Once you get a career, relationship, or family established and after you've taken on significant debt, the idea of packing up and moving, while it seems appealing, its much less practical.
How much is your happiness worth to you?

People sell houses and change jobs every day. Sure, there's more logistics than when you own nothing more than a microwave and some sweatshirts but it's perfectly doable.

We only get one go 'round. I intend to do what makes me (and my family) happy.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:06 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I grew up in the St. Louis area. There were things I loved, and things I didn't love. Unfortunately, sometimes they went hand-in-hand--for example, I loved the rivers and the rain, but the heat and the humidity drove me nuts.

Due to the Army, I have been in South Carolina, Georgia, Panama, Germany, and Texas. After the military, I have lived in Tulsa, OK, and the Denver, CO area.

I wouldn't say 'never looked back' in my case....I would say, "Looks all over." Sometimes I think it'd be nice to move back to St. Louis (and in my current job, I could do that.) Other times I think I'd like to stay here in Colorado--it'll be 20 years come January 2018, which is actually longer than what I physically lived in Missouri (I left at 18.) In fact, it's been a total of nearly 30 years since I lived in Missouri physically. Sometimes I see the folks I went to high school with on Facebook, posting about get-togethers and reminiscing about old hangouts....and I barely remember a lot of these places. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to be there for these get-togethers, other times I think, "I didn't really have much in common with them *then*, we only found each other on Facebook when it was new and we were all curious."

Then other times I think it'd be fun to try someplace different--the PNW, or New England, for example. I've never even *been* to New England (it's on my list), but every so often I think it'd be fun to live there for awhile. And after a trip to the PNW last year, I found myself thinking, "I could do this." Yes, it was rainy, but it wasn't hot the way St. Louis gets, so I could deal with it better.

Sometimes I think it'd even be fun to move to another country for awhile again. I had a great time in Germany, and I find myself looking at maps and thinking, "So where else would I like to try?"

My mind goes in a million directions, so who knows what I'll eventually decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.