Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 12:31 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Moved from dc to Denver Just drove into dc from Denver actually took two days:

1 visited a distillery between Lexington and Louisville. The distillery was very impressive but couldn't help but notice the people still had some Deep South to them.

2. St. Louis - very impressive downtown. Big and tall, for its size

3. Kc- not as imposing as St. Louis aesthetically but the people are so nice. Saw two ladies riding motorcycles Never really seen that.

4. Denver- its home now. A lot to like but I saw 2 abandoned cars and 3 last week. Hoods tended to go from drab to upscale in a hurry. Looked a lot like Texas and SoCal. People seemed weird and quite a few drunks. Will be here awhile. Let's see how this goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:29 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Moved from dc to Denver Just drove into dc from Denver actually took two days:

1 visited a distillery between Lexington and Louisville. The distillery was very impressive but couldn't help but notice the people still had some Deep South to them.

2. St. Louis - very impressive downtown. Big and tall, for its size

3. Kc- not as imposing as St. Louis aesthetically but the people are so nice. Saw two ladies riding motorcycles Never really seen that.

4. Denver- its home now. A lot to like but I saw 2 abandoned cars and 3 last week. Hoods tended to go from drab to upscale in a hurry. Looked a lot like Texas and SoCal. People seemed weird and quite a few drunks. Will be here awhile. Let's see how this goes.

Interesting take on St Louis, I've never gotten the impression that its downtown was impressive for its size at all, maybe a little underwhelming even. For a metro of 3 million it seems pretty par for the course, granted it has many more mid-rise buildings and structural density than newer cities of the same size.

The 300k population is deceptive, the metro is about three million people and the city itself peaked around 850k in the 50s. More people lived in the city proper in the 1880s than they do now (although many more people live in the metro now) The city has been important for 150 years and has very old bones.

Idk if you have ever been to Cincinnati or Pittsburgh but those cities while all unique share alot of these qualities. The river cities are probably my favorite subgroup for cities.

Interesting take on KC, I've always had the impression from visiting that KC has a taller downtown than St Louis so I googled it. It seems that the list slightly leans that way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...gs_in_Missouri

Old 08-26-2017, 12:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
It's a cool trip driving to the Midwest so different from the northeast. Yeah I was disappointed in St Louis too, when you're driving from the east it's miles of flat country and cornfields and then you come to the city. It's a city of 300K and 2.5M circling it. They need more downtown and riverfront buildings and especially some taller ones then it would be impressive.

KC is pretty cool and I do remember nice and unpretentious people there.

Love Lexington and Louisville!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:37 AM

Treasure, I believe LCD is taller but St. Louis had a pretty wide radius of mid rise type buildings. Was very impressed at the aesthetics. Kc people are unbelievably polite.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
St. Louis has a small downtown relative to metro size, and not particularly tall.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
St. Louis has a small downtown relative to metro size, and not particularly tall.
The St. Louis skyline has a height limit too. Zoning laws dictate that buildings cannot be taller than the Gateway Arch:

Quote:
The height regulations are the same as those in the central business district except that in no instance shall any portion of a building or structure including all appurtenances and super structures thereon, exceed a mean sea level elevation of seven hundred fifty-one (751) feet.

The Gateway Arch is 630 feet, and the city elevation is 465 feet. That would mean this restriction would keep building smaller than the arch.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:26 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Moved from dc to Denver

4. Denver- its home now. People seemed weird... Will be here awhile.
My regrets. Keep us updated about what you find in Denver. Don't hold anything back now, okay? I've found that life only gets weirder the longer you stay around and observe this region.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
My regrets. Keep us updated about what you find in Denver. Don't hold anything back now, okay? I've found that life only gets weirder the longer you stay around and observe this region.
ACtually, would like to retract the snap judgement I made. So far so good!!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Lol. There are a lot of weird people here in Denver. There's plenty more normal people though which keep it balanced out so it doesn't get over the top. And they mostly tend to be the in need of a shower, weird hair, high on exercise, ketogenic type of people. CO Springs has more weird people per capita though (all different kinds of weird too), which is both cool and disturbing, depending on whether they are next door neighbors or a casual encounter.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:04 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Interesting take on St Louis, I've never gotten the impression that its downtown was impressive for its size at all, maybe a little underwhelming even. For a metro of 3 million it seems pretty par for the course, granted it has many more mid-rise buildings and structural density than newer cities of the same size.

The 300k population is deceptive, the metro is about three million people and the city itself peaked around 850k in the 50s. More people lived in the city proper in the 1880s than they do now (although many more people live in the metro now) The city has been important for 150 years and has very old bones.

Idk if you have ever been to Cincinnati or Pittsburgh but those cities while all unique share alot of these qualities. The river cities are probably my favorite subgroup for cities.

Interesting take on KC, I've always had the impression from visiting that KC has a taller downtown than St Louis so I googled it. It seems that the list slightly leans that way. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...gs_in_Missouri
St. Louis doesn't have a very impressive downtown skyline, because it has a lot of hi-rise sprawl. When viewed from the west, St. Louis actually has a number of hi-rise clusters. It also not well known that St. Louis' urban spine runs East-West. St. Louis would have a killer skyline if it's central spine went along the river, then it would definitely be punching above it's weight.

Not to mention we have a second suburban skyline in Clayton, MO (a wealthy inner ring suburb and seat of St. Louis County). Which is about to get even bigger with major hi-rise currently under construction.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.