Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 5,277 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a few years until retirement and am starting to travel to cities that I think will appeal to me for my retirement. Looking for suggestions. Here is what I think is my ideal criteria. Obviously, there is no utopia, but looking for something close.

1. Population - Mid-size - around 50,000 - 200,000 people.
2. Natural beauty - love lakes, lots of woods and hiking trails. Mountains great, but not necessary - must have boating and swimming opportunities.
3. Progressive - liberal leaning.
4. No hot summers. I rather have a little cooler in winter (but not harsh) than too hot in summer. Preferably not too humid.
5. A great foodie culture - lots of non-chain options.
6. Trendy boutique and neighborhoods shops - other than chains and malls
7. Access to arts - plays, museums, concerts, festivals.
8. Trendy, quirky, or funky vibe.
9. Friendly, relaxed sense of community.
10. Lots of sun shine. I am a little concerned about the Pacific Northwest, but have not ruled it out!

Some of my favorite cities are Madison, WI, Minneapolis, MN and New Orleans, but looking for something different for my next chapter.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles52 View Post
Hi all,

I have a few years until retirement and am starting to travel to cities that I think will appeal to me for my retirement. Looking for suggestions. Here is what I think is my ideal criteria. Obviously, there is no utopia, but looking for something close.

2. Natural beauty - love lakes, lots of woods and hiking trails. Mountains great, but not necessary - must have boating and swimming opportunities.
4. No hot summers. I rather have a little cooler in winter (but not harsh) than too hot in summer. Preferably not too humid.
10. Lots of sun shine. I am a little concerned about the Pacific Northwest, but have not ruled it out!

Some of my favorite cities are Madison, WI, Minneapolis, MN and New Orleans, but looking for something different for my next chapter.

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Your favorite cities don't even meet your own requirements. New Orleans is miserable in the summer, and Minneapolis & Madison are both super cold and snowy in the winter.

That being said, There are multiple states that might be of interest. North Carolina, Michigan, and New York are a few I'd recommend looking into.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles52 View Post
Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC nails all of your criteria and would highly recommend it.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Annapolis, MD

Old 08-28-2017, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 5,277 times
Yes, that is true, I realize my favorite cities don't meet the criteria. I just meant I want a similar vibe, in a smaller area and better climate.

Last edited by pickles52; 08-28-2017 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 03:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Your lengthy list did not specify your budget, the type of dwelling such as an apartment, condo, townhouse or SFH, the needed size of dwelling, and whether you wish to rent or buy.

Also, FYI, the 13 states that tax Social Security (in addition to any federal income taxes on SS that may apply) are Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Minneapolis is way too big for your criteria. But what about Duluth? Fits everything!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 PM

35 posts, read 41,530 times
Chattanooga TN

Basically meets all of your criteria

I was very surprised with how vibrant and naturally beautiful the city was. Sits right by the Tennessee River and is nestled in a valley between the mountains.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Minneapolis is way too big for your criteria. But what about Duluth? Fits everything!
He/she stated a preference for winters that aren't too harsh, otherwise that was what I was thinking as well.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:36 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe Morgantown WV may fit. Its urban area population is a little over 70k. Cheat Lake is in the area. It is in a mountainous area. West Virginia University's presence allows for the community to have a range of events. Some weather may be an issue, but it fits many of the aspects listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.