Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Basketball culture is larger in the Northeast than it is in the South, but the South and West are FAR more richer in terms of natural talent. The best and most hyped HS player in the country for the upcoming class, Zion Williamson, is from South Carolina (RJ Barrett is from Canada). Then there's LaMelo Ball, a class below Zion, from California.

Most of the top prospects for the 2018 NBA Draft are from the South. Even in the NBA, majority of the star players are from the West and South.

The Northeast has a large Basketball culture, but they don't produce much talent. I like what Jelly Fam and them boys are doing though, that's certaintly been a movement that's been making waves in the Basketball community recently.

The DMV produces more talent than the Northeast as well.
This is debatable and Cam Reddish from Norristown PA is right behind Zion Williamson. There is some good talent coming out of the northern NJ Catholic HS's, which gets some of its talent from NYC. ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

Also, quite a few kids may go the prep school route like this kid: Isaiah Stewart leaves McQuaid for La Lumiere Prep in Indiana | WHAM

I personally think the verdict is still out on LaMelo Ball.

There is some good talent coming from the Midwest as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is debatable and Cam Reddish from Norristown PA is right behind Zion Williamson. There is some good talent coming out of the northern NJ Catholic HS's, which gets some of its talent from NYC. ESPN Basketball Recruiting - Player Rankings - ESPN

Also, quite a few kids may go the prep school route like this kid: Isaiah Stewart leaves McQuaid for La Lumiere Prep in Indiana | WHAM

I personally think the verdict is still out on LaMelo Ball.

There is some good talent coming from the Midwest as well.
Jalen Suggs is the real deal.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Basketball culture is larger in the Northeast than it is in the South, but the South and West are FAR more richer in terms of natural talent. The best and most hyped HS player in the country for the upcoming class, Zion Williamson, is from South Carolina (RJ Barrett is from Canada). Then there's LaMelo Ball, a class below Zion, from California.

Most of the top prospects for the 2018 NBA Draft are from the South. Even in the NBA, majority of the star players are from the West and South.

The Northeast has a large Basketball culture, but they don't produce much talent. I like what Jelly Fam and them boys are doing though, that's certaintly been a movement that's been making waves in the Basketball community recently.

The DMV produces more talent than the Northeast as well.
As told, it is debatable. The images I showed on a page or two ago shows that the Northeast still is where a good bulk of the talent comes from. But if the South is now richer in talent, it's very recent and new, if not cyclical. When it comes to football, the South reigns supreme here.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:20 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As told, it is debatable. The images I showed on a page or two ago shows that the Northeast still is where a good bulk of the talent comes from. But if the South is now richer in talent, it's very recent and new, if not cyclical. When it comes to football, the South reigns supreme here.

The DMV-Has current NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant.
North Carolina- The greatest of all time, Steph Curry, John wall, Chris Paul
Baltimore- Rudy Gay, Carmelo Anthony

Who are the northeast's biggest NBA starts currently playing in the NBA!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The DMV-Has current NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant.
North Carolina- The greatest of all time, Steph Curry, John wall, Chris Paul
Baltimore- Rudy Gay, Carmelo Anthony

Who are the northeast's biggest NBA starts currently playing in the NBA!
Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry and Kemba Walker are a few that come to mind. If you are including Rudy Gay, the Northeast can include Andre Drummond, Lance Stephenson, Tobias Harris, Kenneth Faried, Dion Waiters and even J.R. Smith(when he is focused).

Just to show you that Basketball is not dead in the Northeast, here is Emmanuel Mudiay playing 1 on 1 against a 7th grade "phenom" from Upstate NY and some commentary: https://youtu.be/VjzZW1IhUXM

https://youtu.be/s7PBO74Y_gU

https://youtu.be/Cfb9Zq_lukM

If anything, the Midwest is getting slept on in regards to this conversation.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry and Kemba Walker are a few that come to mind. If you are including Rudy Gay, the Northeast can include Andre Drummond, Lance Stephenson, Tobias Harris, Kenneth Faried, Dion Waiters and even J.R. Smith(when he is focused).

Just to show you that Basketball is not dead in the Northeast, here is Emmanuel Mudiay playing 1 on 1 against a 7th grade "phenom" from Upstate NY and some commentary: https://youtu.be/VjzZW1IhUXM

https://youtu.be/s7PBO74Y_gU

https://youtu.be/Cfb9Zq_lukM

If anything, the Midwest is getting slept on in regards to this conversation.
I can give Kyle Lowery and definitely Kyrie, everything else is a reach. Maybe Andre Drummond too.

Lance Stevenson's biggest highlight was blowing in LeBron's ear. NC alone washes the Northeast.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I can give Kyle Lowery and definitely Kyrie, everything else is a reach. Maybe Andre Drummond too.

Lance Stevenson's biggest highlight was blowing in LeBron's ear. NC alone washes the Northeast.
I wouldn't call a 6"1' guard that put up 23.2 points, 5.5 assists and 3.9 rebounds a game last year "a reach". Those were Kemba Walker's numbers.

Andre Drummond did average a double double last year(13.6 pts and 13.8 reb) and led the league in rebounds the year before.

Tobias Harris is a decent 16 point a game/36% from 3 guy the past 2 seasons.

Dion Waiters is probably one of the best 6 men in the league in terms of getting buckets. J.R. Smith can be at times as well.

Faried is close to a double double for his career.

NC alone doesn't wash the Northeast though. What forwards/big men does NC have that match up even with the guys mentioned?

Keep in mind that I forgot about Karl-Anthony Towns too.

Anyway, I'd say in terms of support for a range of sports, Detroit is probably up there.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2017 at 05:42 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 05:27 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
They have KAT too, but it's still not enough when you see the talent the West and South has put out through the NBA; James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard and etc. for the West, Demarcus Cousins, Steph Curry, Jimmy Butler, and etc. for the South.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
They have KAT too, but it's still not enough when you see the talent the West and South has put out through the NBA; James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard and etc. for the West, Demarcus Cousins, Steph Curry, Jimmy Butler, and etc. for the South.
Well, when you look at the size of both of those regions, of course they will have more. I still think people are underestimating the balance the Northeast has in terms of its top players in comparison, as the other regions tend to be guard/forward oriented. You may even add the Morris twins and when healthy, Tyreke Evans as well for the Northeast.

For the Midwest, you have Draymond Green, D Wade, LeBron, Gordon Hayward, C.J. McCollum, Derrick Rose, Jabari Parker, Bradley Beal, Anthony Davis, Harrison Barnes, Mike Conley and Eric Gordon, among maybe a few others.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 31,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I've got two questions regarding sports in the US .

Which sport is more popular throughout the United States , baseball or american football ? These are two sports that I associate with America the most , but I never could work out , which of them is more popular there .

Do specific regions of the United States fancy different sports , or is it generally all the same throughout the whole country . For example is there an area , where soccer is the most popular sport ?
Baseball draws more people to the games, in part because there are so many of them, and because there are hundreds of minor league professional teams across the country in addition to the major league teams you see on TV. Football has much better TV ratings, in part because the seasons are short (16 games) and not everyone who wants to see games can get tickets. Additionally, football works well on television. Some people prefer to watch televised instead of live.

Baseball has, in my opinion, a much richer history. Every kid in America has heard of Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Ken Griffey Jr and even the most casual baseball fans will recognize dozens of names of players long retired, while casual football fans will remember but a handful of the top players from the past. Baseball is also unique among sports in that the actual field of play is different at every venue.

They are vastly different games to watch, and appeal to a different sort of sports fan. Football appeals to those who like great athleticism, hard hitting, and action. Baseball appeals to those who are more analytical and like a more contemplative pace to the game. But to answer your first question, its football because of popularity.

Do specific regions of the United States fancy different sports , or is it generally all the same throughout the whole country . For example is there an area , where soccer is the most popular sport ?

I think it's pretty much the same everywhere with variety of sports. Soccer is popular in the western and southwestern region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.