Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
This is a really good list of the main contenders: the only thing I would add is Pittsburgh (as a dark horse contender) and Toronto (the obvious Canadian choice).
If cities like New York are ruled out due to cost of living how can Toronto be a competitor? Due you know how much a single family home in Toronto costs? (Hint: it makes the Seattle area look cheap even adjusted for CAD, to say nothing of the taxes). What is it like 13% sales tax?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondMama View Post
who knows what Amazon will do? they had no idea really how to integrate Whole Foods
What does this even mean? They haven't owned Whole Foods for a Month, yet you claim they had 'no idea how to integrate' them?

Please share with us what insider information has led you to this conclusion.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
If cities like New York are ruled out due to cost of living how can Toronto be a competitor? Due you know how much a single family home in Toronto costs? (Hint: it makes the Seattle area look cheap even adjusted for CAD, to say nothing of the taxes). What is it like 13% sales tax?
Amazon is looking for transit, access to tech talent, and other urban niceties. Cost of living isn't necessarily on the table for Amazon.

Also, the request mentions a "North American" city, which means Canada is clearly being considered. And I think for several political reasons, it may have a leg up on the American cities.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:32 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Amazon is looking for transit, access to tech talent, and other urban niceties. Cost of living isn't necessarily on the table for Amazon.

Also, the request mentions a "North American" city, which means Canada is clearly being considered. And I think for several political reasons, it may have a leg up on the American cities.
As for COL, it would probably be a great win though for attracting talent if those employees making 100k could easily afford a home and have money left over for other things such as student debt, retirement, traveling, and perhaps having a kid or two.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:

Of course COL is a consideration for the following reasons:

- Amazon would need a much larger total payroll in order to attract and retain a high quality employee base in an expensive metro; and
- The creation of about 8M or so square feet of office space would be considerably more expensive in a metro with a higher COL than in one with a lower COL.

If they can get everything they want in a less expensive metro, they will go with it.m

Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Amazon knows its execs will be seeing the top areas of a major city or in its suburbs.... to live and commute by car, bike, transit or walk.

If they choose suburban? Of course it is more drive. EVERY Major city has a HIGH COL in its most sought after areas. Some like SF and NYC go through the roof today. Most others WILL have prime areas Amazon's execs will seek ND have salaries to afford them.

Why some think they will seek a mid-range neighborhood? I'm not sure? Citing COL in their city has .... MORE AFFORDABLE NEIGHBORHOODS?

So Amazon is NOT looking into having middle-class affordable neighborhoods in criteria. BUT Higher-end ones that its Salaried employees would be seeking as IN THER RANGE ..... There are TOO MANY cities, with not through the roof higher-end cost... as NYC and SF. BOASTERS seem to think middle-class affordability is a major criteria to a headquarters of executives?

So if they choose more a city's core? They want the status of housing their exes would want..... higher-end still or great suburbs they can commute from if they so chose.

I don't think Amazon is looking at affordable average row-housing neighborhood's or those with nice bungalows for a headquarters group of employees to afford ....

Last edited by DavePa; 10-01-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Quote:
Do you EVER stop to read before getting defensive? I said "recruiting the world's top tech talent" not which city has a more global focus.
I had responded some time ago in agreement with this comment. I will rephrase something that I noted earlier - it's unfortunate that some comments lack maturity. I'm not attacking anyone on the forum. I'm simply noting that some comments lack maturity and in the time of my original reply to the comment above, it unfortunately has continued.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
New Jersey has a pretty solid rapid transit network...Yeah, I would say its argument is more compelling than 95% of Amazon RFP applicants, just by virtue of its amenities, location, and services. ... It would actually be tough to turn down this offer, given that Amazon is pretty much getting HQ2 for free here. New Jersey meets most of their RFP criteria as great as anyone in America.
You've rattled off many advantages of NJ but all these are offset by the sleaze factor. NJ has had some pretty horrible politics since the time of Frank Hague. Billions in bribes will not cover up the stink emanating from the Governor's office. Somehow I don't see Bezos and company doing business with Chris Christie-- but you never know.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:32 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
I personally think Amazon would be great in a rust belt city like Detroit. It will have the influence of some other smaller metro areas in the sunbelt, But with an actual established city, and metro. I think the "gentrification" that would happen in Detroit would be nothing short of amazing.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Watch from 16:30 to 20:30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKjKCec8i6c

Jeff Bezos outlines the advantages of Amazon's urban campus in Downtown Seattle and what it means to cultivate a corporate culture in that manner. He emphasizes the necessity for employees to be able to access food and basic things within walking distance of the campus. In addition he outlines the importance of walkability and transit infrastructure and its effects on his employees. He also speaks on Seattle's outdoorsy culture being a draw for Amazon employees and some basic things they do like opening windows in offices or having nearby green-space as essentials to the workplace environment.

He was responding to why Amazon doesn't have the perks of other Silicon Valley companies that have more amenities and features at their corporate campuses for their employees. Bezos' outline reinforces what he's said in other interviews, that he takes full advantage of infrastructure that is already in place so that way he doesn't have to create it on his own. It's a cost effective strategy. He even goes as far as to say that the employees at Amazon love the food trucks near the campus and states the importance of Amazon's presence to driving up business for these establishments such as food trucks or stores in nearby areas.

Later in the video he speaks on Amazon's unique culture and how the culture reinforces itself.

Boston. Chicago. Toronto. New York. There is a slim chance that they go with a smaller place, if they go with a smaller metropolitan region, then either Denver or Austin. I wouldn't write off San Francisco either.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-01-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.