Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Seems so silly that there were 248 proposals and yet there re only about 55 metro areas in Canada & the US {Mexico has less than no chance} of over 1,000,000. Some in the US have basically no transit system to speak of and are the anti-thesis of pedestrian friendly environments.
I think the "unqualified" cities/metros just wanted to get their name out there. And if they didn't spend too much money/time on their proposal, then no real harm and who knows, maybe down the road Amazon decides to place a small regional office in one of those places.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:13 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
It's probably safe to say it won't be Florida. My guess is Amazon would be more interested in the Northeast region. As mentioned in other posts basically all requirements are met there. It's the ridiculous high COL, that will ruin HQ2 setting up shop there. So I'm guessing Amazon will decide on another Eastern city powerhouse. Atlanta. It not then possibly Charlotte, but I do feel Atlanta will be the pick.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:19 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
I feel like their smartest investment would be hitting the East coast - to that end, I feel like Philadelphia or Atlanta might be the main contenders.

Edit: Chicago would also be high up on the list, though clearly not East coast. But hey, it connects to damn near everything!

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I actually hope they pick the most economically depressed city in their list like Albuquerque or a rust belt one. Most of those desirable cities don't really need Amazon to boost their economy and housing prices are already out of control. Plus, going to an economically depressed area will often be cheaper and a lot of folks will likely be willing to relocate for the once in a lifetime opportunity to work for Amazon.

Sadly, i think Amazon will end up going somewhere that already has plenty of opportunities like SF, Austin, Chicago, NYC, etc.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:13 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
In many ways I like the idea of going to a Rust Belt city and being part of a rejuvenation. That said, the only 2 rust belt cities that would qualify on the transit front are Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St.Louis, and Cleveland.

The real concern here for Amazon is the ability to get and retain the highly skilled workforce. These are highly skilled and highly sought after employees who can get a job anywhere, anytime they feel like. All the bribes in the world {aka NJ} and cheap land means squat if they can't get the workers. The notion of asking such workers to move to such high crime cities {less so Pittsburgh} seems almost comical. This is what Chicago and Philly also have to overcome. This is why I don't think they will get it. Chicago routinely has more murders every year than all of Canada. They are up against cities like Toronto which was recently rated as the world's 4th safest major city and the safest in NA. If you were a skilled worker which would you pick and which environment would you rather raise your kids in?

Cost of living, good schools, and airports are all come into play but they will be secondary as the primary concern for Amazon will be the city's ability to draw and maintain these workers.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:27 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Because of the unusually high turnover rate, it has to be a hip city where the young and bright will WANT to move without being killed by COL.

Chicago - Yes
Atlanta - Yes
NJ/NYC - Yes (Just because of NYC)
Charlotte - Yes
Minneapolis - Probably
Austin - Probably
St. Louis - ???
Boston - ???
Philly - ???

Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
In many ways I like the idea of going to a Rust Belt city and being part of a rejuvenation. That said, the only 2 rust belt cities that would qualify on the transit front are Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St.Louis, and Cleveland.

The real concern here for Amazon is the ability to get and retain the highly skilled workforce. These are highly skilled and highly sought after employees who can get a job anywhere, anytime they feel like. All the bribes in the world {aka NJ} and cheap land means squat if they can't get the workers. The notion of asking such workers to move to such high crime cities {less so Pittsburgh} seems almost comical. This is what Chicago and Philly also have to overcome. This is why I don't think they will get it. Chicago routinely has more murders every year than all of Canada. They are up against cities like Toronto which was recently rated as the world's 4th safest major city and the safest in NA. If you were a skilled worker which would you pick and which environment would you rather raise your kids in?

Cost of living, good schools, and airports are all come into play but they will be secondary as the primary concern for Amazon will be the city's ability to draw and maintain these workers.
Chicago because I understand that a big chunk of its crime is contained within certain neighborhoods that can be avoided. Crime is not spread uniformly throughout the city.

There's a reason that Chicago is attracting wealthier and better educated residents even as it posts a modest population decline.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
The real concern here for Amazon is the ability to get and retain the highly skilled workforce. These are highly skilled and highly sought after employees who can get a job anywhere, anytime they feel like. All the bribes in the world {aka NJ} and cheap land means squat if they can't get the workers. The notion of asking such workers to move to such high crime cities {less so Pittsburgh} seems almost comical.
The notion that people won't follow high-paying jobs seems almost comical. People leave places like NY and SF everyday for career opportunities.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The notion that people won't follow high-paying jobs seems almost comical. People leave places like NY and SF everyday for career opportunities.
Yeah but they're not going just anywhere.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah but they're not going just anywhere.
Yeah, but we're talking about a relatively short list of cities here (Austin, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver, etc.). I don't see many people looking at a job posting for $250K and saying, "Naaah, it's in Austin." I don't see any of these cities having a problem attracting talent because they are not cool/liberal/educated/walkable enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.