Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times

Advertisements

Kansas City is centrally located. Plus a two state metro like KC could get both states bidding against each other.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My wager is on Atlanta. There is a large area of Atlanta, between downtown and the airport, which has not seen the enormous development that the area north of downtown has. The large property that used to be Fort McPherson would be ideal.

The "heavy rail" mass transit has two stops in the immediate vicinity. The airport is the largest in the US. Georgia is a right-to-work, low regulation state. The CoL is not astronomical. The city is diverse.
Yea, I think Atlanta is a really strong contender especially in regards to the universities, the airport, and having heavy rail transit.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I agree, if you build it, they will come, haha, as they say. So, the airport can grow/evolve, as can public transport. That's a big reason I still think a city like Nashville, or even Indianpolis, has a shot. They can land Amazon, then build out the infrastructure. This is most likely a super long shot though.

I agree that Denver is probably not on their radar. All in all, I think higher education and esteemed university status may win out over most everything else. That puts Boston, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta near the top of the pile....
I'm not sure why Denver wouldn't be on their radar. Denver makes a whole lot more sense with their attractiveness to educated Millennials and massive airport compared to places like Nashville and Indianapolis to me. Plus, Denver is a pretty good cultural fit for an organization like Amazon. The only real knock that I see on Denver is if they want to avoid another Western presence (it's not on the West Coast, but it's still fairly far from the East).

Once again, if people read the RFP, it is very clearly NOT a "if you build it, they will come" request. Amazon is requiring the infrastructure to be in place TODAY because they want to start moving in 2019 (which is essentially within 12 months of when they make their decision). I can't emphasize this enough. They're looking for the handful of perfect resumes (not rehab situations) and then it's going to come down to the financial incentives and cultural fit.

Frankly, Amazon probably knows which city it wants already and they're just using this RFP process as leverage to extract the best deal possible from them. This is about as "open" as an executive search at Amazon, which means that it's not really open at all. They virtually always know who they want to hire from the get go, but they're going to go through the motions of making it appear to be an open race to put pressure on the person that really want to agree to deal more quickly and/or on better terms for Amazon.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Frankly, Amazon probably knows which city it wants already and they're just using this RFP process to extract as leverage to extract the best deal possible from them.
Isn't that how it always works?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM

406 posts, read 486,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
All Philadelphia has to do is show Amazon the marketing videos for Schuylkill Yards:
Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

And the 30th Street Station District:

...literally EVERYTHING they're looking for and more, wrapped up into two videos.

#AmazonYardsPhiladelphia
Ultimately I think this will come down to either Philly or Baltimore because of the visionary plans that are 30th Street Station District and Port Covington.

http://buildportcovington.com/videos/port-covington.mp4

Last edited by TommyCarcetti; 09-08-2017 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 AM

12,838 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
From my perspective, the value proposition isn't so much about Amazon itself, but rather that Amazon can instantly supercharge a whole slew of high paying ancillary businesses around it by moving to a city. We've seen incentives being provided to bring in factories in the recent past (which can employ a lot of workers but don't necessarily spur further development beyond the standard retail and restaurant options to serve those workers) along with executive headquarters moves (where the top executives move to a city, but the bulk of the other employees stay behind), but almost nothing on the scale of what Amazon is proposing where it wants a new base of both executives AND a critical mass of higher-paid employees that can instantly create an entire ecosystem around it.

There won't be just retail and restaurants being built to serve these workers (although that's still all well and good). This is about the accounting, law, marketing and consulting firms in that city getting a massive influx of business and, in turn, hire even more highly-paid employees. It's also about the top tech talent that ends up *leaving* Amazon to create new companies and/or become new leaders of existing companies in that city. Amazon is also unique among tech companies where, for better or worse, they're involved in a LOT of different industries. Beyond web commerce retailing, they have (a) become the dominant cloud services providers to companies with Amazon Web Services (created off of the backbone of their own IT infrastructure operations), (b) created an entertainment business where they're funding TV shows that have won Emmy Awards and movies that have been nominated for Oscars, (c) instantly became a dominant food industry player by buying Whole Foods, and (d) a logistics operation that can be leveraged far beyond their own needs (similar to what they've done with AWS and cloud services). As a result, Amazon isn't just a leader in the tech, but it provides world-class opportunities for workers in the entertainment, retail, food and logistics industries (so all of those sectors will get an instant boost in whichever city is chosen).

At the end of the day, if you're not growing as city, then you're dying. High profile opportunities like the one being presented by Amazon come along very rarely. Ultimately, the financial calculation for a city that wants to compete is whether it believes the ancillary businesses that will be developed *outside* of Amazon would compensate for the incentives provided to Amazon itself. Just looking at the scale and scope of Amazon's business, this is an instance where heavy financial incentives could very well make sense because the upside of the instant ecosystem that can be built around Amazon is so potentially huge.
Yep, what they bring to the table will be well beyond the 5 billion over time. Other companies may move their HQs there to be a part of it. I'd give them free rent if I had to. They are a major positive for the city.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, what they bring to the table will be well beyond the 5 billion over time. Other companies may move their HQs there to be a part of it. I'd give them free rent if I had to. They are a major positive for the city.
One thing not included in that though is what is lost as a result of their presence. In MSP, it could include Target and Best Buy -- both home-grown companies, and culturally relevant -- and good talent leaving existing companies. Not to mention cultural changes, traffic congestion, wage stratification, etc., etc., etc. It's not all sunshine and roses.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Ultimately I think this will come down to either Philly or Baltimore because of the visionary plans that are 30th Street Station District and Port Covington.

http://buildportcovington.com/videos/port-covington.mp4
Yes, agreed. I think Baltimore could be in the running with Philadelphia (Schuylkill Yards/30th St District) and Chicago (Post office development).

It's clear Amazon wants something innovative and groundbreaking, like their current campus and it's mark on Downtown Seattle.

They want urban, downtown, connected, etc.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I think Atlanta is a really strong contender especially in regards to the universities, the airport, and having heavy rail transit.
That, and the amount of public and private works development in Atlanta right now is ambitious and overwhelming.

The Beltline and proposed connecting trails
Bellwood Quarry Park
The movie studios
Memorial Drive
West Midtown
South Downtown
Georgia State University
Serenbe (the absolute prototype of a sustainable community that is being mimicked all over the country, if not the world)

Old 09-08-2017, 11:25 AM

774 posts, read 2,496,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
One thing not included in that though is what is lost as a result of their presence. In MSP, it could include Target and Best Buy -- both home-grown companies, and culturally relevant -- and good talent leaving existing companies.
While that may be true, Amazon could certainly harm (and already has harmed) home-grown Target and Best Buy from far outside of Minneapolis. To the extent that Amazon runs roughshod over multiple US industries (including retail), your city is far better off having Amazon there to cushion the fallout from companies like Target and Best Buy as opposed to having no cushion at all. For Minneapolis to take your position would be like saying that Chicago should have actively turned away the HQs of Target and Best Buy back in the 1980s/90s in order to protect their homegrown Sears. Seeing where Sears is today, that would have been a patently ridiculous and short-sighted stance of Chicago.

Quote:
Not to mention cultural changes, traffic congestion, wage stratification, etc., etc., etc. It's not all sunshine and roses.
Are those all great? No. However, when balanced against no downtown foot traffic, wage stagnation and high unemployment due to a lack of corporate interest, I would take all of the supposedly negative byproducts of success every single time. The "Mo Money, Mo Problems" complaints are only valid if you actually have money. All of the cities that have economic development problems and clearly *don't* have a gentrification "problem" (and there are far more of those in this country than there are Manhattans and San Franciscos) are not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.