Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
boston is the most 'seattle' of the boswash cities and boston has everything they want except they don't want to pay boston prices.
This is what I have been saying. "Image" is going to be crucial. Boston is pretty clean across the board. Public schools are not the sieve they are in most big cities, crime rate low, unemployment low, social service ledger low compared to most cities.

I thought they might go somewhere in Florida(Tampa/Orlando/ Miami area to take advantage of the benefical tax situation, beaches and climate. But I can see Boston.

Lot of Philly boosters want them in Philly and it has its bright spots but its a tough sell when 1/2 your public school kids dont graduate high school.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:13 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
They are building a massive warehouse in NYC. Not sure if it will be their second "headquarters" or not, but I'm glad about the warehouse.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I add Miami and Tampa areas, Portland, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Charlotte to poll
They won't set up shop in places that prone to major natural disasters.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Not so certain about that. Seattle is prone to earthquakes. However, I'm sure Amazon used the latest, safest earthquake technology in their three high-rises they have recently built there.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 68,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

It's certainly not an advantage, but it's much easier to overcome it than the other items.
Many cities who will bid won't have the universities Pittsburgh has, including every other northeastern city not name Boston.
I think you are underestimating the assets that CMU and Pitt are to Pittsburgh and its chance, especially compared to other Northeastern cities. Philadelphia for example has Penn (Ivy League), Drexel, Temple as the main 3 and Villanova a short train ride away along with Princeton only being 45 minutes away. And that doesn't even count all the smaller universities in the city such as St. Joe's and Lasalle. Or Haverford, the list goes on and on. I think the reason those two universities stand out so much is that since Pittsburgh is such a small city they really become big fish in a small pond.

And I understand that for a city of Pittsburgh's size the public transit is pretty good. However compared to say Philadelphia (I keep referencing Philly because I used to live there and I currently live in Pittsburgh so I know both cities very well) that has tons of bus lines, a subway line, regional rail, and amtrak to NYC and DC its really unfair to even compare. There is nowhere in Pittsburgh that has near the connectivity as the 30th street station area. Also consider this area is literally right next to Penn and Drexel, not to mention a 20 minute train ride to the airport.

I think Philadelphia is a top contender along with cities such as Chicago. If Philly doesn't get it I hope Pittsburgh does because it will be good for the state as a whole. It would be really cool if it went to Baltimore or Detroit though

Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I read another article that stated they want a 1 million person metro, while also being 30 miles away from a major population center. So that rules out Denver and Minneapolis. Philly, DC, and Boston still seem good though.

I really hope they pick somewhere that allows them to be a big fish in a big pond, rather than a shark in a fish tank. They seem to be aware of the downside of having a huge work force in a small market. I can't imagine they would want to pick any place smaller than Seattle.
You misread that. A population center of 1 million is a requirement, with the specific site being within 30 miles of that. Not that they are looking for two major population centers within 30 miles of each other.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Hurricanes happen a lot more often than the Cascadia Subduction Zone experiencing an earthquake.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Hurricanes happen a lot more often than the Cascadia Subduction Zone experiencing an earthquake.
That is a somewhat valid point, but keep in mind the window for a Cascadia Subduction Zone quake is between 300-500 years according to most experts. The last one was in 1700. I doubt Amazon was unaware of this as they planned their explosive development in Seattle. (However, most experts now believe recent highrises in Seattle would survive this kind of quake).

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-12-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
'

That is a somewhat valid point, but keep in mind the window for a Cascadia Subduction Zone quake is between 300-500 years according to most experts. The last one was in 1700. I doubt Amazon was unaware of this as they planned their explosive development in Seattle.
Agreed.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
According to Bloomberg, Amazon execs are pushing for Boston.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-headquarters
According to the article, Boston is a good choice because it has a lower cost of living than many big cities. Really, Bloomberg? Sounds like a spin job to me early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.