Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Don't forget Richmond. It has all the factors Amazon is requesting, is relatively inexpensive, is near a major shipping port, and is only 2 hours to DC.

Re: DC being an expensive area. If it goes to DC it'll probably be near Dulles Airport, which is an hour west of DC and in an area that's less expensive.
Except the mass transit, airport, and a sizable pool of tech talent. I love Richmond, but it's not on the list.

Shipping ports are non-factors here.

HQ2 could easily go to Baltimore and take advantage of its lower costs while still having access to the DC/Baltimore regional tech talent pool.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:09 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I also think that they are probably going to try to stay open minded enough to see if any location presents a plan that really blows them away for reasons that may not be fully obvious to anyone right now.
You and me seem to be the only ones thinking this. Most people on here are suggesting there's a handful of cities or less that have been preselected and the RFP is to drive the best bargain. I think there may be a few frontrunners in the minds of decision makers, but they will sincerely consider all proposals.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You and me seem to be the only ones thinking this. Most people on here are suggesting there's a handful of cities or less that have been preselected and the RFP is to drive the best bargain. I think there may be a few frontrunners in the minds of decision makers, but they will sincerely consider all proposals.
I think so too, but I think think any "mind-blowing" proposals from smaller markets will probably put them on Amazon's radar for future, smaller projects. At the end of the day, awesome marketing proposals can't make up for the lack of essential characteristics that will be necessary to sustain HQ2.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:23 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I still refuse to get into speculation on where it will actually end up, but after letting my thoughts marinade for the past week, I will mention the cities I would LIKE to see it happen.

Baltimore - This would be landscape-changing on a scale more visible than most other options. I have no real connection to Baltimore but did lead a trip there last year to study the city's renaissance and successes/obstacles, and all of us were pretty blown away. Something like HQ2 would be the culmination of the years of toil and slow but steady progress that so many in the community have struggled for. The infrastructure and culture is pretty strong and with the help of Amazon would be quite competitive with many of the larger cities in the discussion. With my reasoning you could perhaps toss Detroit in this mix, or Cleveland/Buffalo to a lesser degree, but I think Baltimore would be most suitable due to its location.

Raleigh - Again, I am surprising myself with another city that I honestly don't have any stakes in and where I have had minimal experience. I just think Raleigh has so much going for it MSA/CSA-wide, but has lacked some of the dynamic urban growth that similarly successful/progressive regions have experienced. This could change that completely.

Jax - Well this is self-explanatory. It would completely catapult my hometown in the national consciousness and rebrand our city in a very positive way. Jax has seen incremental progress in many areas but this would blow that up completely and also change the narrative that is hard to do when progress has been so slow. Of course, I'd give us at best 40:1 odds...worse than the Jags winning the Super Bowl lol.

Chicago - Well if it's going to one of the big guys I'll pick my second home out of loyalty. Why not? Chicago is my favorite big city after NYC and SF, and I'd say HQ2 would have a negligible effect on those markets. It won't be the saviour of Chicago either, but would certainly have a greater impact than those other cities.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think so too, but I think think any "mind-blowing" proposals from smaller markets will probably put them on Amazon's radar for future, smaller projects. At the end of the day, awesome marketing proposals can't make up for the lack of essential characteristics that will be necessary to sustain HQ2.
Is there even an economic development corp in any of the 53 metros that have more than 1 million people, that does not intend on throwing their hat into this ring?

Last edited by mjlo; 09-14-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Is there even an economic development corp in any of the 53 metros that have more than 1 million people, that does not intend on throwing their hat into this ring?
There are even MSAs of less than one million that are throwing their hat in the ring.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tucson just sent Bezos a real giant saguaro cactus, I'm sure it will love all that rain they get in Seattle, maybe they will put it in their new biodome at their HQ!

Tucson to Jeff Bezos: Here’s a giant saguaro, please bring Amazon here

On Wednesday, Sun Corridor Inc. loaded a 21-foot saguaro cactus on a flatbed truck to deliver to founder Jeff Bezos at Amazon in Seattle, in a bid to bring Amazon’s planned second headquarters to Tucson.

Last edited by JMT; 09-14-2017 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: violation of rules for posting images

Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
I think I even remember hearing that Seattle suburbs want the headquarters. :P

As a homer, I would have been thrilled if DFW was chosen But now that I think more about It, I feel that that would just make issues like traffic and affordability worse. Especially if it is anything like Toyota's move to Plano and the accusations made of that. I still think DFW does well compared to its peers in traffic and cost of living (with the income) but I'd like both to go down a bit more before the region lands another major headquarters.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
So at this point, is there any city of significant size in North America that hasn't been mentioned at least once in speculation? For all we know, all the standard "great choices", including in the poll, aren't even on the short list.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So at this point, is there any city of significant size in North America that hasn't been mentioned at least once in speculation? For all we know, all the standard "great choices", including in the poll, aren't even on the short list.
There is no "short list" as of yet. Submissions have yet to be evaluated.

But if you're thinking this means HQ2 is going to the likes of Wichita or Toledo, then have fun with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.