Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:51 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Definitely. 50,000 high paying jobs plus the services that those people would need.

Would be a boon for any metro area, especially a smaller one like Austin (if they choose it).
Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore could get bigger boost to economy.

NYC, L.A, Denver, Boston, San Francisco area, D.C area is already booming we need spread out the wealth and excitement of cities

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly, Baltimore could get bigger boost to economy.

NYC, L.A, Denver, Boston, San Francisco area, D.C area is already booming we need spread out the wealth and excitement of cities
With all due respect, who is "we"? Make no mistake "we" have nothing to do with this. It is about what is right for Amazon.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
They are looking for 500,000 sq ft of existing space with the potential to build up to 8 million. Does Schuylkill Yards have 500,000 sq ft of existing space?
What city has just 500,000 square feet of existing office space just lying around? If any city did, it would have a horrible real estate market.

First and second tower in Schuylkill Yards could easily be completed by 2020. Brandywine (the developer) is getting approvals from the city right now for the first two towers. These two towers alone, 3003 JFK and 3025 JFK, will be over 2.5M square feet of office space. If Amazon needed space earlier than that, they can take up 286,000 square feet of space in 3001 Market. They could take up another 200,000 square feet of space in 3020 Market, which is an existing 6-story office building that will eventually be demolished and replaced by a 786,000 square foot building. Any additional space needs before the first two towers are completed, could probably be carved out of nearby Cira Centre or FMC Tower.

Full Schuylkill Yards site plan is here for reference:
Schuylkill Yards - Master Plan

Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM

159 posts, read 172,284 times
Most likely destinations to me would be

1. Philly
2. Boston
3. Pittsburgh
4. Atlanta
5. Chicago
6. DC/Baltimore

I'd be surprised if they go anywhere else.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
What city has just 500,000 square feet of existing office space just lying around? If any city did, it would have a horrible real estate market.

[/url]
Detroit

Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Downtown St Paul. It is also on a light rail line and 10 miles from a major airport.

The old Ecolab headquarters is an empty tower that has half the space they are looking for in one building:

http://www.startribune.com/former-ec...ion/437259993/

Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 PM

192 posts, read 242,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit
I would love this more than anything. But can Dan Gilbert share the spotlight?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Downtown St Paul. It is also on a light rail line and 10 miles from a major airport.

The old Ecolab headquarters is an empty tower that has half the space they are looking for in one building:

Former Ecolab building in St. Paul sells for $3.6 million - StarTribune.com
The twin cities have to be a player in this. They check a lot of the boxes.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't see this being on the coasts, and we already can rule out West Coast due to the original headquarters being in Seattle. Bezos may do something really random choose a place like Albuquerque, but who knows? If I had to guess one, I'm going to go with Charlotte, NC (I do not consider to be on the coast as its a few hundred miles inland).
I was hopeful that my city would try to go for it and submit a proposal. I just found out that our mayor says we will indeed be submitting a proposal, and he's leveraging and highlighting the fact that Jeff Bezos was born and lived in Albuquerque as a small child:

Quote:
Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry said his administration plans to pitch the metropolitan area as the perfect new home for Amazon.

Among the metro area’s virtues are available land that is affordable, a reliable power grid, a workforce that has shown it can handle large construction projects and an environment that doesn’t have “earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis,” Berry said.

But Albuquerque has something no other city can claim: Bezos was born here.

“Jeff, come home,” Berry said. “We’d love to have you.”

https://www.abqjournal.com/1059749/p...dquarters.html

I don't know how realistic a proposition it is, but no city has ever been a great success without ambition and at least trying for things like this.

Another interesting fact is that Microsoft got its start here in Albuquerque when Bill Gates and Paul Allen lived here.

Facebook is also building a huge data center in the suburb of Los Lunas just south of Albuquerque.

We also still have Intel, even if its workforce and operations here have been greatly reduced.

Our innovation center known as Innovate ABQ just completed construction of its first building downtown. It is a collaboration between our local governments, the state and UNM. It houses offices and space for among others, the Air Force Research Labaratory, and our local community college's high tech fabrication operation known as the CNM Fuse Makerspace.

There is also all the spinoff activity from Sandia National Labs and successful, homegrown startups like Lavu. Los Alamos National Lab is also within our CSA. And Santa Fe is close-by and connected to Albuquerque via the Rail Runner commuter train. We are also almost done building our new BRT line which is designed to the standards of and may become the nation's first Gold-rated BRT line.

We can leverage and highlight all of these positives in our proposal.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM

I think Nashville gets it. Hottest mid-sized city in America right now, relatively centrally located, no state income tax. I just have a feeling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.