Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,205,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Some very high standards indeed.
With the exception of Florida, and perhaps North Carolina, no state on the East Coast has beaches that match or top those of South Texas. So you're right about one thing, there's no comparison.

In the case of Florida, the advantage over Texas that people refer to mainly regards the sand: people like the color white. Even though Texas sands are browner in color, there are so many variations in colors for sands (i.e. black in parts of Hawaii, pink in Bermuda, etc) that this factor doesn't affect quality much for me.

I'll put South Texas beaches below those of peninsular Florida, but on-level of those of Pensacola/FL Panhandle. The FL Panhandle has whiter sand than South Texas, but the average water conditions are worse: less window of enjoyment in the year, and also bigger issues with algae outbreaks (i.e. june grass).

Perhaps some areas there were set aside for nature, you know, like Padre Island National Seashore? Or maybe you missed out on details once again, like the swath of development on North Padre Island?

One of many issues that will be solved by investment.
You should give these plans and those happening in Texas Beach and Coastal improvements for betterment. Restoring Galveston beaches after storms is just ongoing and improved. Adding back lost beaches in much of the eastern Texas coast over just gravel piles .... might be a investment. But it tokes tax dollars tat Texans don't want raised. Still plenty of highways to widen and expand in ever sprawling Texas cities.

It would take billions for major over even decades spent. But again.... what are these BIG investments ongoing of coming soon and approved for tax dollars spent on the Coast?

No denying any. Just you infer then never give any that are happening NOW or a 10-year plans plans approved, or in planning stages (that are not yet approved) etc.

Another obstacle is inhabitable land by the coast is many times privately owned. Far less set aside as totally for public recreation. Surly there are exceptions and wetlands to State Parks as such. Western Texas Gulf sections clearly seem best but not a feature across the state.

Even the NJ coast is dotted with many summer resort towns and yes ..... winter shortens the beach season. But billions get spent in restorations after storms and in upkeep. The more you add.... the more ongoing upkeep is necessary. It is no one time expenditure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,277,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Adding back lost beaches in much of the eastern Texas coast over just gravel piles .... might be a investment. But it tokes tax dollars tat Texans don't want raised. Still plenty of highways to widen and expand in ever sprawling Texas cities.
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/b...s-11156705.php

Quote:
Another obstacle is inhabitable land by the coast is many times privately owned. Far less set aside as totally for public recreation. Surly there are exceptions and wetlands to State Parks as such. Western Texas Gulf sections clearly seem best but not a feature across the state.
Visit the Lone Star Coastal National Recreation Area

Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,205,764 times
I already knew Galveston finally getting much needed restoration of beaches. Even before the last hurricane.

Quote:
You should give these plans and those happening in Texas Beach and Coastal improvements for betterment. Restoring Galveston beaches after storms is just ongoing and improved. Adding back lost beaches in much of the eastern Texas coast over just gravel piles .... might be a investment. But it takes tax dollars that Texans don't want raised. Still plenty of highways to widen and expand in ever sprawling Texas cities.
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...beach-erosion/

The Galveston restoration and additions were already completed in Spring of 2017.... before Harvey in August.

You spoke in threads like a GRAND STATE PLAN for the WHOLE Texas Coast was planned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Good work. But you've missed out on several important details there, Buzz.

That one decent beach? Extends 110+ miles up the shore as part of the longest barrier island on the planet, about a third of the entire Texas shoreline. And as other posters have alluded to, the other South Texas beaches (up to Port Aransas or so) are great as well. Add them in, and you have about half the state shoreline with great beaches.

Already a great start in going forward with the Gulf Coast master plan.
So I was seeking this Master Plan you eluded too? Galveston was old news as completed. Loooong overdue. How about to the east of Galveston as Houston's metro too?

Wetlands were already there to preserve and improve access. Some areas could have been reclaimed for habitation decades ago before Preservationist surely would fight any destruction of it today.

I also eluded to best beach areas are the western gulf coast in Texas. A lot more Texas Gulf coast then 110-miles and mainland off Galveston for Nature Preserves. Again.... I thought by a "MasterPlan" you mentioned? There was a 10+ year plan for reconstruction yet and much more then near Galveston with the beach reconstruction completed a year ago.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I already knew Galveston finally getting much needed restoration of beaches. Even before the last hurricane.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...beach-erosion/

The Galveston restoration and additions were already completed in Spring of 2017.... before Harvey in August.
There was no heavy wind/storm surge to damage Galveston in Harvey like there was with Hurricane Ike in 2008. This was because unlike Ike, which made landfall directly at Galveston, Harvey made landfall farther south along the Texas coast (near Corpus Christi). The effects of Harvey at Houston/Galveston simply was heavy rain from the outer bands.

Quote:
You spoke in threads like a GRAND STATE PLAN for the WHOLE Texas Coast was planned?

So I was seeking this Master Plan you eluded too? Galveston was old news as completed. Loooong overdue. How about to the east of Galveston as Houston's metro too?

Wetlands were already there to preserve and improve access. Some areas could have been reclaimed for habitation decades ago before Preservationist surely would fight any destruction of it today.

I also eluded to best beach areas are the western gulf coast in Texas. A lot more Texas Gulf coast then 110-miles and mainland off Galveston for Nature Preserves. Again.... I thought by a "MasterPlan" you mentioned? There was a 10+ year plan for reconstruction yet and much more then near Galveston with the beach reconstruction completed a year ago.
A "master plan" refers to the collection of improvements that will happen along the coast, whether it is greater public land preserves, or focused development. And I wasn't just talking about Texas, but also for other states along the coast (i.e. Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama).

Old 03-24-2018, 04:30 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
The Gulf Coast has some of the best beaches in the country like Pensacola, Destin, Naples and St Pete though the Mississippi and Louisiana beaches are less pretty, but the GUlf also has vital fishing and oil industries.

But when the news media talks about "coastal voters" or "the coasts" where Trump support is low, they're not really talking about Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama though these are all coastal states. The "coastal elite" doesn't refer to condo owners in the Redneck Riviera either.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
Not really.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not really.
It's unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.