Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Oriental, but that term is considered offensive for some reason that "Black/White" aren't.
Because it's a Western-centric term. Black/White don't fall into the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:14 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times
As an AFRICAN AMERICAN (with no direct ties to Africa. I refer to myself as African american delibrately. Black could be a black person from anywhere in the world. African American are those descended from african slaves in the US. Furthermore I've found that rural African Americans have many small africanisms in their culture. There are almost none at all in the Urban African american cultute I am a part of. But the physical environments in which rural African Americans live in- how the socialize, they're speech, the cadence of their music, and their food has slight African influence-that's undeniable.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:26 AM

21,428 posts, read 12,414,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They don't have a way to leave.

If they have a car, it doesn't run well. They don't know anyone in any other place other than Mississippi.
And most of all, they receive their money from the state. Oftentimes that dependency goes back generations.

You may have to think about it for a while to get the picture. Adults with almost no work experience, certainly no training, who struggle to even make themselves understood outside their own area.
It's pretty bad.
This. Those who haven't made it out of the delta and other overwhelmingly black rural areas likely aren't going to make it out BECAUSE they're culture is so very different from other more connected blacks let alone America as a whole. They are about 2 steps above sharecroppers. I have family in the south from NC to FL...but those type of blacks the very rural and poor who live in nearly al black communities...sound almost like they're speaking another language and have little education and some live with no plumbing or in moldy homes or scant lighting/electricity. Some do innt small critters and pick what fruits they can. Some of the mornemiddle aged ones did pick cotton as young kids before Hispanic migrant workers took over in the early 80s. It's truly mind boggling. YouTube search "lost lives Glendora, MS." That ship has sailed and they become more deeply entrenched in their cultures relative to everyone else. They speak a more base/basilect form of Ebonics and are usually darker skinned, share clothes at time and often will work whatever job (day labor) to make ends meet.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This. Those who haven't made it out of the delta and other overwhelmingly black rural areas likely aren't going to make it out BECAUSE they're culture is so very different from other more connected blacks let alone America as a whole. They are about 2 steps above sharecroppers. I have family in the south from NC to FL...but those type of blacks the very rural and poor who live in nearly al black communities...sound almost like they're speaking another language and have little education and some live with no plumbing or in moldy homes or scant lighting/electricity. Some do innt small critters and pick what fruits they can. Some of the mornemiddle aged ones did pick cotton as young kids before Hispanic migrant workers took over in the early 80s. It's truly mind boggling. YouTube search "lost lives Glendora, MS." That ship has sailed and they become more deeply entrenched in their cultures relative to everyone else. They speak a more base/basilect form of Ebonics and are usually darker skinned, share clothes at time and often will work whatever job (day labor) to make ends meet.
This isn't necessarily cut and dry, as you had "educated" people in these Delta towns for decades, as many were teachers that may have attended Mississippi Valley State, Alcorn State or Jackson State. Some in the nearby hills owned their own farms as well and many times were the people involved in Civil Rights movements.

Also, you still have people that work in fields, but you also have some people that have moved back from Midwestern cities as well.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:29 PM

100 posts, read 102,334 times
What's strange to me is that more younger white Americans seem to be into " country " things than their black American counterparts . Is this just specific to certain regions or can this be observed nationwide ?

Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM

1,310 posts, read 838,555 times
Uhhh...That's everyone not just black people

Old 09-17-2017, 08:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,489,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
San Francisco? Not a chance. What's the African American population of SF?
The Heyday of the migration of African-Americans from rural America to San Francisco was during World War II ....

Old 09-17-2017, 08:38 PM

12,099 posts, read 16,984,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
This topic popped up on my rural culture thread , however I didn't want to get into it for fear of straying off topic , so I decided to start up a separate thread about it .

Anyways one of the posters on the aforementioned thread wrote that younger African Americans in the Mississippi Delta are ( for lack of a better word ) abandoning rural African American culture in favor of its urban variant .

So how true is this claim ? Is this phenomenon restricted to the Mississippi Delta or can it be observed in other predominantly African American rural areas ?
You mean young black kids don't grow up wanting to be the next Muddy Waters anymore?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,020,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
About 6%, which is down form its peak percentage of about 14%.
But, more black people have always lived across the Bay in Oakland, Richmond Ca, etc., where there were factories, shipyards, and war defense plants. The 1960s Black Panther organization was headquartered in Oakland...think Angela Davis, singer Johnny Mathis, the 5th Dimension pop band, Maya Angelou, for any readers old enough to remember.

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-17-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 AM

10,114 posts, read 15,780,633 times
I think its mostly limited to the South and borderline Southern areas like the Maryland Eastern Shore. I've noticed that especially with the younger generation, rural blacks act less "country" than their white counterparts, but still not quite as urban as urban blacks if you get what I'm saying. Most of my rural experience has been in West Virginia which has a very small black population and the few blacks I knew there (and the few Hispanics and Asians there too) are very assimilated into the rural culture.

I don't have too much experience with rural Louisiana though I'm sure somewhere there are some black country folk who like hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling and NASCAR. Darius Rucker, one of my favorite singers did say that his country music is very reflective about how he grew up as a black person in rural South Carolina. I personally much prefer rural living to urban. More on my experiences though, the black people I know in suburban New Orleans seem to think things like gun ownership, muddin, etc are weird and most have never done these things while many whites I know from suburban New Orleans have these as hobbies. Suburban Baltimore too, all my friends who are into shooting guns, hunting, etc were white not black.

Almost every white person I know here in suburban Baton Rouge owns a gun and many white friends like to talk about escaping the city go go hiking, 4 wheeling etc. I rarely hear a black person talk about escaping the urban life. Perhaps because of crime in urban black communities, gun ownership is seen negatively even though its part of rural culture regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.