Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Note: all the successful personalities mentioned put off having kids until they were rich....take away: always use excellent contraception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 10:45 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Yes, my brother is a perfect example. Never went to college. Moved out to San Diego to be with his girlfriend (who dumped him shortly afterward), and eventually found work at a trendy restaurant as a cook. His work ethic and loyalty impressed the owner so much that he moved into management and then spearheaded the opening of two new restaurants both of which he has a 1/3 share in ownership. Now they are moving into the LA and then Seattle markets. He will likely make a **** ton more money than me, and I'm an attorney. He knows more millionaires than I'll probably ever meet. College never worked for him but he is incredibly smart, business savvy, and driven. He works harder than just about anyone I know.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
We are here to find out, if there are any cities in the U.S., where a person can work one, legal job, while having only a high school diploma or equivalency all the way up-to an associates degree, and still be able to obtain and afford the American dream?
Sure, just become a social media entrepreneur (YouTuber, Instagrammer, Snapchatter, etc...)!

There's 12, 13, 14-year-olds that can make 5, 6 and on a rare occasion 7 figures a year making videos doing pranks, playing video games, scooter/skateboard tricks, makeup advice, comedy skits, exploring videos, etc. and they didn't even graduate from high school yet! This is the first time in the history of mankind someone can upload videos to a website and earn some great money, if people like your content, just get out there, hustle and build your brand, there's money to be made.

Last edited by cjseliga; 09-16-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 03:38 PM

508 posts, read 616,300 times
Let's flip this question.

Why are there so many unemployed people with a Master's and/or Doctorate Degrees?
A degree doesn't make or break you. In fact, without scholarships, it'll start you in a hole from which you're not guaranteed to recover. If you're okay with status quo slavery, go for it. But for others, such as myself.....we'll gladly pass. That brings me to one last thing, don't be scared of a process. Don't be scared if you have a lot of naysayers and obstacles, just continue persevering and having a great outlook in regards to your life and future.

Yes, not everyone will be rich, but everyone can make a living working for themselves one way or another. Also, your priorities must be 110% in order. This is where patience becomes a key component for success.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
I've been hearing there's opportunity in "the trades"... electrician, plumbers etc. etc.
Who's that guy that has that show "dirty jobs"?

Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM

508 posts, read 616,300 times
Yes, trade school and the careers they offer is the future. A lot of them will have you banking over $70,000 per year.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:03 PM

828 posts, read 692,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the age of globalization and automation, the American economy has certainly changed within the past 20-30 years, making individuals with high-skill levels (having a bachelor's degree or higher) more likely to obtain and afford the American dream. While people with just an associates degree (there are some work fields that except this sort of degree more than others, especially in medical and automotive fields), post-high school certification, or have a high school diploma or less, usually have a lesser chance of obtaining the dream the U.S. was once known to have.

We are here to find out, if there are any cities in the U.S., where a person can work one, legal job, while having only a high school diploma or equivalency all the way up-to an associates degree, and still be able to obtain and afford the American dream?
If you know how to code you can do well without college, or if you have a marketable skill like an electrician or plumber then you don't really need college either.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Entrepreneurship requires no degree. If someone has a passion, they can turn it into a business and do very well. I've seen it many times.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Entrepreneurship requires no degree. If someone has a passion, they can turn it into a business and do very well. I've seen it many times.
Yeah, exactly. My brother inherited that from my parents, I never did. If you are a good entrepreneur, you can do tremendously well without necessarily having a degree. It's a lot of work but people persevere every day.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Its not an exact science... anyone can be successful whether you have a degree or not... it's a matter of what you want and what you're willing to work for. A degree definitely helps but it's not the be all end all but it is a requirement in some professions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.