Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 01:00 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times

Advertisements

NO it all depends on sheer dumb luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Even in the military as enlisted, they are still looking for military servicemen to have degrees in order to get promoted in a timely manner. I would assume it would be the same thing with police officers the ones with the degrees will essentially make more money in the long term. I could also see one working in the natural gas industry making alot of money fracking, and construction as well especially in suneblt states, as long as you have the will to out in 100% you eventually will succeed.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:15 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Absolutely it is. But here is the caveat: Those who don't have the college degree need to have other skills, mostly in technology. That said, the combination of tech skills + a college degree would be even a better scenerio. This may sound simplistic, but I believe it to be true.
I agree with this statement. Too, living in an area that doesn't have a super high cost of living helps a lot too. My brother and brother-in-law are perfect examples of not having a college education, but knowing and trade and being very successful. In my brother's case, rich.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
It's not the be all end all but with today's options with getting a degree anyone with any internal drive/perseverance should/can get one. Times change and economies and expectations evolve. Look at how many immigrant/first generation/refugee families that barely speak the language come here and are able to send their kids to college especially with all of the variables/challenges they face.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-02-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I have a degree, but the field I'm trying to get into (video game design) doesn't require one; it's all about your skills, and to a lesser extent your connections. I've even talked to a recruiter who said he threw out the resume of any candidate who had more than a bachelor's, because he wanted people who were really passionate about making games, not about academics. Ironically, the generic office job I'm working in the meantime does require a bachelor's (but it can be in anything from French to chemistry to African studies).

Sometimes I think I wasted those four years, even though I did gain a lot of skills and more general knowledge. Bah, at least I had scholarships so it wasn't a burden on my family...

Old 01-03-2018, 07:48 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
I do want to say, I don't think a degree is as valuable as it use to be. I got my degree in Computer Programming in the 1980's. I did well with it and made a good life for my family and myself. Today, if you go to a 4-year college (ESPECIALLY a private college), you get strapped with such enormous debt that it eats up much of your saving/investing potential over your life. You have to choose your college wisely, choose a major that's both marketable and something you enjoy, and take on as little debt as possible.........Most colleges have gotten too far away from the academics and way too close to political indoctrination and dogma. It's ruined most aspects of what a college education is suppose to be. I'm less impressed with whether someone is "educated" as oppose to how they think, reason, work with others, and do they use wisdom instead of emotions to make decisions. Kids need to learn to think critically for themselves with as little politics attached to it as possible........My wife and I have 2 sons in the military (Army and Marines) and they will use their GI Bills to get their degrees. That's one route someone could take........ I think more secondary schools should have trade classes. Not everyone needs or desires a 4-year degree. An AA, certificate, and/or trade school and apprenticeship is sufficient for a good paying, fulfilling job. My brother did this and now owns a mobile car body repair business in the Charlotte area. He has flourished financially and loves his job....... Living in an area that has good buying power (wages vs. cost of living) helps tremendously. Living in a area that has very high housing costs and being taxed into oblivion will hinder your potential. Not to say you can't do well in an expensive area. But my brother-in-law owns a very successful luxury woodwork business (kitchen cabinets, staircase railings, etc.) here on Cape Cod and my brother owns his mobile car body repair business in the Charlotte area. There is a big difference in their personal net worths (separate from their business assets), even though they have close to the same yearly net revenues........ These are just some ideas and life lessons that have been tried and true in my 52 years of life.

Great thread. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Man nobody wants to do those jobs. Those are fallback options for most people.
Elitist much?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I'll say it again if you learn a trade you can do just as well as somebody with a college degree. Electrician, mechanic, plumber you'll do pretty well.
Yep and they are in demand too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCi5i1Wr8A

Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM

375 posts, read 800,431 times
High School- It'd be pretty hard. You might be able to have a decent life in some parts of the country but not others. Assoicates degree- If its in a useful field yes. Get into a technical type field or something like utility line or the trades and you're doing pretty well.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:15 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
If you're smart enough to get a college education, you are smart enough to live by your wits alone. Making a good living depends on your ability to game the system, and a degree is not the only manner of doing that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.