Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Baltimore: Fells Point area (just replace some of the buildings with high rises)
San Diego: National City
Why National City? I'd probably say UTC or Mission Valley. Or Chula Vista, El Cajon, Carlsbad, etc..before National City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Cambridge? That's an entire city of over 100k. It's not a downtown. Some of it is really sleepy and suburban.
How is downtown Boston defined here? Is Back Bay downtown? Fenway?

Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The only other place in Dallas that could function as a second Downtown would be Victory Park/Uptown, which is technically an extension of Downtown anyways. So I don't think that counts?
Since Uptown is separated by 75 and Klyde Warren, I'd say it counts.

I'd also say it would be better in terms of the ground level.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Since Uptown is separated by 75 and Klyde Warren, I'd say it counts.

I'd also say it would be better in terms of the ground level.
In its current build, Uptown is better for ground level than Downtown. But Downtown has better urban infrastructure -- transit hub, narrower streets, wider sidewalks, etc. A lot of the parking garages and skyscrapers have added ground level restaurants and shops and there's also more building density. Uptown has more population density.

Klyde Warren has also caused the northern end of Downtown and southern end of Uptown to merge. The park is fueling growth on both sides. With expansion plans, they'll feel even more connected. The feel is obviously different if you're standing in the middle of Main St. in Downtown compared to CityPlace/West Village in Uptown. But from the Arts District to the Crescent, it sort of meshes.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Cambridge? That's an entire city of over 100k. It's not a downtown. Some of it is really sleepy and suburban.
How is downtown Boston defined here? Is Back Bay downtown? Fenway?
if downtown crossing, then the new downtown would be back bay.
if north end, beacon hill, downtown crossing, back bay, fenway, government center, chinatown, south end, ..., then new downtown would be harvard-central-kendall/mit.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
St. Louis Clayton

Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
New York City - Downtown Brooklyn
Los Angeles - Hollywood
Toronto - North York
Chicago - Near West Side?
Philadelphia- South Philly
Washington D.C. - Arlington
Seattle - Industrial District
Pittsburgh - Oakland
Ottawa - Gatineau
Detroit - Midtown
Buffalo - Elmwood Village
Richmond - Carytown
From a historical point of view it would be Alki Point. "The Denny Party landed at Alki Point November 13, 1851, and platted a settlement of six blocks of eight lots. The original name of the settlement was "New York Alki," "Alki" being a word in Chinook Jargon (Wawa) meaning "eventually" or "by and by."[3] The name "New York" may have been chosen because it was the state of origin of several of the settlers.[4] However, the next April, Arthur A. Denny abandoned the site at Alki for a better-situated site on the east shore of Elliott Bay, just north of the plat of David Swinson "Doc" Maynard. This site is now known as Pioneer Square."

Also another direction could be taken entirely and that would be Tacoma winning the race for the major city in the Puget sound.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
It depends on your definition of "downtown Chicago" - usually people expand it to more than just the Loop. But if you took out the Loop and every neighborhood surrounding it, I guess the logical choice would be Lincoln Park or wherever UIC is, or maybe Hyde Park.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Atlanta, Buckhead

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It depends on your definition of "downtown Chicago" - usually people expand it to more than just the Loop. But if you took out the Loop and every neighborhood surrounding it, I guess the logical choice would be Lincoln Park or wherever UIC is, or maybe Hyde Park.
UIC is considered part of the downtown area. Hyde Park would be dubious as Chicagoland is much more focused north (city and suburbs) and west (suburbs).

but wait: how can someone from Oak Park say "or wherever UIC is"....I mean, with light traffic, it's 10 minutes from where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.