Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I get the exact meaning of the thread. Does this mean if the current downtown was somehow wiped out today and became uninhabitable for whatever reason, where would the new downtown shift to? Or does it mean if the current area that is the downtown never existed historically when the city developed, for example if the area was water instead of dry land when the city was forming?

For Pittsburgh I think it would be two different answers - today it would probably shift to Oakland, but if the downtown land never existed historically then it would probably be the North Side, which was Allegheny City over a hundred years ago. Allegheny was a fairly big place itself which eventually merged with Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
San Jose>Santana Row

Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I think University City would likely turn into the Downtown for Philadelphia if Center City didn't exist... certainly over South Philly I'm sure.
I initially thought the same thing, but then reconsidered because South Philly (south of Washington Ave) is more "city-like", whereas U City is dominated (for now, at least) by the universities and office space along the river. South Philly just feels more urban/multi-purpose to me (and checks off that all-important urban criteria: impossible to find a parking space!)

Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
UIC is considered part of the downtown area. Hyde Park would be dubious as Chicagoland is much more focused north (city and suburbs) and west (suburbs).

but wait: how can someone from Oak Park say "or wherever UIC is"....I mean, with light traffic, it's 10 minutes from where you live.

Let's play along edsg for the sake of goofing around (I agree with your previous post).

*If* Chicago had an alternative downtown if the Loop somehow did not flourish (impossible), I'd say:
Goose Island
Uptown (Irving Park and Broadway)
Lincoln Park (Fullerton and Clark)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.